Zombie MMO's: Yes or No?

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
I love the idea of a zombie MMO, and I've pondered the idea before. It would be difficult to pull of, but done properly I genuinely believe it could be one of the greatest games ever.

ironmace2.0

The Names Hans Olo
Mar 15, 2009
well its a good idea but how would it work because zombies just run rouned evreywhere so theyd be evreywhere unless you like live in a deffended area or out in the wilderness?

sanguis3k

Oct 18, 2008
i think MMO would have to be a no a sandbox zombie game sounds good but an overall decent 1 player zombie game would be nice if only to distract from the massive piles of shitty 5 second development zombie games that have been dumped on us

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
I kinda like the idea of a survival type of game. A huge city with some outskirts and farmlands. Something like the original Mafia, but much bigger. You'll have different types of gangs in the city like people who survive by doing drugs, straight edge people, the government, religious people (cults, perhaps?) and players who can join gangs or stay on their own and freelance. There could be pvp settings where players kill eachother for guns, food and drugs. Yeah, I like the idea.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
voirdire said:
A Google search netted me a beta version of one. It's called Dead Frontier.

I'm new so I don't know if posting links to other sites is against the rules here. So just Google it.
You can post links, just not for solely advertising purposes. So if you had only 1 or 2 posts and were basically creating new threads just to promote other sites, then that's against the rules. Doing what you seem to want to do, which is post a link that is valid and related to the topic, is perfectly fine and accepted. So by all means, post that link :D

OT, I'd love to play a zombie MMO. It would need careful handling I suppose, but if you did it in the right way it could definitely work.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Too limited to sustain itself for long IMO. I mean it's a neat idea, but as an ongoing, persistant world I don't think it would work. It would be like making WoW except with less zones and replacing every monster with the same Murloc.

>>>----Therumancer--->

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
They were producing one called Exanimus, pretty much everything discussed here was gonna be in it, but it went tits up.

Weasellord21

Apr 8, 2009
yeah, ok people thanks to those who actually contributed something and didnt just refer me to a shitty browser game(or the nonshitty L4D).

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Weasellord21 said:
yeah, ok people thanks to those who actually contributed something and didnt just refer me to a shitty browser game(or the nonshitty L4D).
They did contribute something... you don't have to be so harsh...

I would love to play a zombie mmo, but I don't know if any company could actually do it right. I like a lot about how Urban Dead works to be honest, and its grown quite the little community around it. I would love to be involved in a non-browser game that expands on that style, and by that I mean the dual nature of it. People can choose to start off as a zombie or a survivor, but when you die as a survivor you become a zombie. Humans can cure zombies back into humans. Its quite the neat little system which allows for people who die to stay in the game, and I quite enjoy being able to be on both sides of the situation.

Also things like if you had a flak jacket on when you died, its protection carries over to your zombie character. I dunno, its just a neat little game to be honest. I would hate to see any fps elements in it to be honest, I would rather the pistol shots and stuff to be like auto attacked like shooting bows in WoW or what have you than to be fps style. It just plays and flows better that way in my opinion, plus it circumvents the issue of lag.

I could go on forever, but basically I love zombie games and would greatly enjoy an mmo. Also don't diss games just because they don't look appealing to you in particular, and also don't talk down to people who were genuinely adding to your thread. That is all :)

Aug 12, 2009
My idea, think zombie infections, start of as an average zombie but eat brains and kill people for evolution points, pour points into different ways of evolution of the virus for instance.

Sneaker: a class for stealth gamers, they sneak around in the dark and attack people who are stranded or weak.
Strikers~: massive clawed hands and huge amounts of health but slow.
Tents:tentacled monstrositys, created by evolving in both licker and striker classes.
Lickers: fast moving long ranged zombie with sharp barbed and poisoined tongues.

and many many more

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
I think people are more excited at the prospect of just playing in that kind of environment... an MMO could have a lot of potential... you wouldn't just have zombies, you could have raiders, dogs would return to being feral, rats and other creatures.

The gameplay would mainly be scavenging, as there would not really be a lot of moments of shitloads of zombies, you could save those for major quests, but it would primarily revolve around establishing transportation, water and food supplies, ammo supplies, etc. Kind of like Dead Rising if there were less zombies and you weren't restricted to the mall.

The MMO aspect could be limited to major cities, so you join a group in a city like how WoW has different servers. You could also become a zombie yourself and then play it out that way.... if done right there's a lot of potential.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
it wouldn't be a bad idea
First-different classes of zombies (including animals)
Second-Firearms and melee weapons
Third-Large wide open space like fallout 3 or something along those lines
that's all i have to think about

MMMowman

Mar 9, 2009
A Zombie AoE game would be good... but a MMO? maybe... depending on what elements of a zombie they use. For example you wouldn't want the slow moving zombie shuffle.