ZP lost its edge?

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
antipunt said:
Curtmiester said:
I think he should take a break. That way we will start to miss him and when he comes back it will better then ever, since he'll have time to make new material.
Kind of like the movie Hancock? xP
I never saw that movie so I don't really know what your talking about.

the captain

Nov 20, 2008
Its still good but nowhere near as brilliant as when it first started. I think the quality started to decline right when he got his own theme music.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
I agree that it's not as funny as it used to be, although I'm not sure if that's his fault for not being creative enough with his new stuff or moving in a different direction, or if it's our fault for getting used to it.

Regardless, I still find it funny and continue to look forward to it ever Wednesday =)

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Kanashe said:
Yes, yes it has. Your not the only one amigo, ZP has trully reached it's end. Let's face it, the jokes stopped being funny and became repetative/old matearil but with different pattersn slapped on it. Yahtzee himselfe went from a reviewer to a simple ranting troll who has an ego the size of Germany.
ZP is still immensely popular. The Escapist is probably very happy with ZP, and Yahtzee himself most certainly doesn't give a crap about what you think and his productions.

Also, on a slightly different spelling Nazi note, my Firefox Dictionary/Spell checker noticed a ton of red lines in your post. 's All.

To op:
Just doing a search will result in one of the billion threads about "OH NOES ZP IS NO LONGER TEH FUNNIEZ". Or did you also want a "fresh discussion" with "new opinions"?

Man. Why can't people just give ZP a rest?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Curtmiester said:
antipunt said:
Curtmiester said:
I think he should take a break. That way we will start to miss him and when he comes back it will better then ever, since he'll have time to make new material.
Kind of like the movie Hancock? xP
I never saw that movie so I don't really know what your talking about.
You missed one hell of a movie.

Aiden Rebirth said:
he swears alot less, but still is very funny.
I think that's the problem. Yahtzee is getting soft.

We must mailbomb him. Just because of the tough love.

SSoneill

Dec 24, 2008
I don't think he has lost his talent at all I just think the things he has chosen to review lately just aren't that cared about, example: Sonic, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Mirror's Edge but the latest Farcry 2 was funny as hell for me and GOW2 has a massive fan base so if he destroys it (which is always funnier) he will get alot of positive feedback for it as well as a few fanboys with a bone to pick unfortunatly

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Really, the only main difference I see is the change in the tone of his voice. At the start, it seemed really flat and bored, now it seems he's at least somewhat enthusiastic.

000_00_00_00

Jan 13, 2009
I still find it enjoyable, though I have to admit my attention isn't dragged away by the nearest new shiny thing.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Like many things based on an outside factor, being the games, ZP varies, sometimes it is great and the jokes work well, other times it falls on it's face a bit for crowbarring some things in to make a funny. Usually it works best if some material about the game is included, which is pretty tricky with some of the more no brainer type games.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Curtmiester said:
That's not a bad idea...
Don't get me wrong, I like ZP as much as anybody. However, you can have too much of a good thing. You can't expect someone to write/rant weekly for (is it a year? Nearly two?) and still maintain that same standard.
It just seems to have reached saturation point, and it might be time for a break for a while...

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I still enjoy it. This week was refreshing because he actually kind of reviewed the game. With, say, Sonic and Tomb Raider he didn't do so much of a review as a rant. ZP is still funny. Not as funny as before in my opinion, but still funny. I still watch it because of its comedic factor, but I no longer consider it by any means to be an accurate review. Yes, I used to find his reviews quite accurate.

Beelze

Jan 15, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Okay, listen. It's like any drug. When you first start doing it, you barely need any and you think you're a big purple dinosaur, and you start giving out hugs and getting crotch kicks in return.
But over time, you require more and more drug to get less of a high.
Or you can switch to something harder. In the case of humor, this means increased subtlety. Might I suggest McSweeney's? [http://www.mcsweeneys.net/] First one's free, bro.

As for ZP losing its edge, he spent the entire episode insulting South Africans. Just 'cause he's not making fun of your pet targets doesn't mean he's slipping.

I DO hate the intro music, though.

Crazyshak48

Mar 3, 2008
I'd agree that he's lost some of his early hilarity, but I think it's for a different reason. I think there's so many repetitive (I hope I spelled that right) games out there that the reviews tend to start blurring. Think about his years in review: He thought 2007 was a good year in gaming, while he hated 2008, if his videos are to be believed, anyway. Maybe once game developers provide some innovative material for him to review his reviews will start standing out again.