Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
My opinion: Romans 12:17-21
"Do not pay anyone back evil for evil, but focus your thoughts on what is right in the sight of all people. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live in peace with all people. Do not take revenge, dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. For it is written, “Vengeance belongs to me. I will pay them back, declares the Lord.” But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him. For if he is thirsty, give him a drink. If you do this, you will pile burning coals on his head.” Do not be conquered by evil, but conquer evil with good."
I'm pretty sure we need an addendum. "If he's a cop he's liable to just beat you up and arrest you 10 minutes later."

Reactions: MrCalavera

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
"Do not pay anyone back evil for evil, but focus your thoughts on what is right in the sight of all people. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live in peace with all people. Do not take revenge, dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. For it is written, “Vengeance belongs to me. I will pay them back, declares the Lord.” But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him. For if he is thirsty, give him a drink. If you do this, you will pile burning coals on his head.” Do not be conquered by evil, but conquer evil with good."
I agree with this passage actually, I just don’t think protesting, fighting, and demanding change in this system is revenge. It is good conquering evil as far as I am concerned.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I'm sorry really?

Really we're still doing this BS group nonsense?

Just because some asshole cops don't see a person but apparently a skin colour or something?
"Some"?

This is the same attitude as those cops.
But with justification. Cops are a plague.

You don't see a person you're seeing a uniform and thinking it's justified.

If you want change you need to break the wheel not merely turn it a bit and carry on the same.
Yeah, break the wheel. Abolish the police. That's being kind.

Reactions: Revnak

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Making it visible for the entire nation instead of just at a select few is going to make more of an impact. You protest outside the WH and some courthouses and... you think elected officials are forced to care for the most part? They're really not. You cause a fuss that gets national attention, that can't be ignored when you decide you want to shut it off and watch sports, that keeps things on the table.

And really, in the end. They don't get to shut off the issues, why should people get to just shut off politics whenever they want while the problem persists.
Isn't that what regular news interviews and protests are for making it visible.

Those who care will see it on the news etc. Those who don't probably aren't suddenly going to care and be involved because you've made it part of their escapism, they may even just ignore it or be annoyed by it.

Also again the Moviebob argument.

You need some escapism sometimes from reality. People don't want all politics all the time or it will drive them nuts.

Also opening the door to one group using something as a platform often leads to all other groups in politics jumping in on it then what are you going to tell these other groups fighting for things too that they're not allowed in?

You might end up with more political platforming going on than match because every issue is now having to have it's time.

So to circle back to the Moviebob argument.

Should LGBTQ people not be allowed to have content unless it talks about homophobia in society?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
If a person holds down the legs of a victim while they are being murdered, they are an accomplice. If they kneel on the person while they are being murdered, they are an accomplice. The officers were assisting with the arrest, thus were also partially responsible for the actions taken during that arrest.

Yes but as the officer started kneeling on his neck were any of then still holding Mr Floyd, I don't think they were in the video so it would be a tough argument to make that because they were part of the arrest initially they also are responsible for the over-reach of one officer when they didn't contribute to it but also didn't stop it.

You don’t give a single fuck about the police brutality at these events, just concern trolling for the cops. Therefore you do not care about the protesters, just the security of your undoubtedly middle class or better lifestyle.
Oh thank you for telling me what I think because clearly I must not know my own damn mind. Care to tell me next weeks lottery numbers too using your psychic powers? Or how about using those magical psychic powers to detect the actual corrupt cops through the internet too?

Or are you going to give your illusory superiority a rest here and actually engage with what I said rather than blindly trying to ascribe motive so you can pretend to be superior?

If I didn't care why would I bother being here in this damn thread arguing with some-one acting as you are?

You want the system to change so far as it does not affect you.
I doubt it would affect me much either way. I mean I'd not like to see the USA go bankrupt that would impact me but then it would also impact everyone including those you claim to want to help as what they're going to just pull that $17.1 Trillion out of the wealthiest people in the countries bank accounts? Nah it would be yet more debt.

And to decry “LARPing as revolutionaries” is to decry nearly every person in this country who has ever moved the needle a single inch on human rights.
Pretending you're taking the system down by breaking into Nike and Stealing Trainers then torching the place isn't moving the needle, at least not the way you'd want.

Malcolm, the Panthers, Stonewall, the Abolitionist movement, John Brown, the very founders, all fall into that category. You are ignorant of any and all history and thus doomed to repeat it through the same liberal moderate concern bullshit that has doomed every solution to the fucking tragedy we have found ourselves in.
Most of them chose their targets. They were precise. They were aimed. They weren't the equivalent of PETA protesting animal abuse by setting fire to UPS trucks.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Former Republican President George Bush doesn't mention Trump by name, but this is obviously directed at him:

It remains a shocking failure that many African Americans, especially young African American men,
are harassed and threatened in their own country. It is a strength when protesters, protected by
responsible law enforcement, march for a better future. This tragedy — in a long series of similar
tragedies — raises a long overdue question: How do we end systemic racism in our society? The
only way to see ourselves in a true light is to listen to the voices of so many who are hurting and
grieving. Those who set out to silence those voices do not understand the meaning of America — or
how it becomes a better place.
His full statement here:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They were participants in the arrest, not just witnesses. They are not obliged to protect everyone, they are however obliged to protect everyone IN THEIR CUSTODY. They were the ones responsible for his life once they prevented him from having responsibility for his own life.
Wouldn't only the one kneeling on his neck likely count as the arresting officer in this case though or whomever read him his rights?

Yes SOME

But with justification. Cops are a plague.

So next time there's a Mass shooter do we just wait for them to run out of ammo?

Yeah, break the wheel. Abolish the police. That's being kind.
Get robbed, have people act without consequence. Have no Swat teams to tackle active shooter situations. Have no-one to break up criminal gang brawls. How no-one to turn to if being extorted.

I agree with this passage actually, I just don’t think protesting, fighting, and demanding change in this system is revenge. It is good conquering evil as far as I am concerned.
Except it's why class warfare philosophy positions fail and you don't end up with real change. You just turn the wheel not break it.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Yes but as the officer started kneeling on his neck were any of then still holding Mr Floyd, I don't think they were in the video so it would be a tough argument to make that because they were part of the arrest initially they also are responsible for the over-reach of one officer when they didn't contribute to it but also didn't stop it.
Yes, actually one of them still held his legs at one time and others actually knelt on him later. Though they STILL would be partially responsible as he was in ALL of their charge not just the officer who was on his neck. This did not happen instantaneously, it went on for an extended period of time with them doing nothing to correct the officers position to ensure the safety of the man in their charge. The officers prevented bystanders from rendering aid. They told bystanders they were wrong for asking for them to change his position. They actively prevented others from saving his life, thus are responsible for his death. Once the person is in their custody, they are all responsible for his safety. If they had taken ANY action to protect the life of the man who was in their charge, this might be different, they did not and instead took direct action that led to his death by not protecting this man and additionally prevented others from saving his life.

In the US, we have laws that require bystanders to " stop and render aid" when we see someone's life in danger. These laws vary by state but even Minnesota ha a law on the book to address this. The people were prevented from doing so by the police officers who killed him. Though it is only a misdemeanor in Minnesota, in Texas, it can be considered a felony to fail to stop and render aid. Though this is usually applied to vehicle accidents, as they are more frequent, it has also applied to other situations as well in the past.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yes, actually one of them still held his legs at one time and others actually knelt on him later. Though they STILL would be partially responsible as he was in ALL of their charge not just the officer who was on his neck. This did not happen instantaneously, it went on for an extended period of time with them doing nothing to correct the officers position to ensure the safety of the man in their charge. The officers prevented bystanders from rendering aid. They told bystanders they were wrong for asking for them to change his position. They actively prevented others from saving his life, thus are responsible for his death. Once the person is in their custody, they are all responsible for his safety. If they had taken ANY action to protect the life of the man who was in their charge, this might be different, they did not and instead took direct action that led to his death by not protecting this man and additionally prevented others from saving his life.

In the US we have laws that require bystanders to " stop and render aid" when we see someone's life in danger. These laws vary by state but even Minnesota ha a law on the book to address this. The people were prevented from doing so by the police officers who killed him.
It would still be tough to get the charges to stick really against them I'd imagine unless they did any excessive restraining themselves not just that they didn't try to correct him.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Oh thank you for telling me what I think because clearly I must not know my own damn mind. Care to tell me next weeks lottery numbers too using your psychic powers? Or how about using those magical psychic powers to detect the actual corrupt cops through the internet too?

Or are you going to give your illusory superiority a rest here and actually engage with what I said rather than blindly trying to ascribe motive so you can pretend to be superior?

If I didn't care why would I bother being here in this damn thread arguing with some-one acting as you are?
I’m not here to diagnose you, but I know you don’t give a fuck about protesters, peaceful or otherwise. You’ve made that damn clear.

I doubt it would affect me much either way. I mean I'd not like to see the USA go bankrupt that would impact me but then it would also impact everyone including those you claim to want to help as what they're going to just pull that $17.1 Trillion out of the wealthiest people in the countries bank accounts? Nah it would be yet more debt.
Glad we’re agreed.

Pretending you're taking the system down by breaking into Nike and Stealing Trainers then torching the place isn't moving the needle, at least not the way you'd want.
THEY BURNED DOWN A PRECINCT BUILDING. And the vast majority of that “theft” gets handed out to the crowds. This is communities giving back what has been built on their backs and their blood, particularly in LA or Atlanta where upscale boutiques and the like in wealthy neighborhoods were heavily targeted.

Most of them chose their targets. They were precise. They were aimed. They weren't the equivalent of PETA protesting animal abuse by setting fire to UPS trucks.
The civil rights movement started with sit-ins across the board, with a riot against the entire bussing industry. Panthers didn’t carry guns sometimes, they carried guns through their entire communities, challenged cops on every street corner. The specific right place to show dissent is wherever it will do nothing, because the rules have been written to keep themselves from changing, the system constructed to perpetuate itself into eternity. When the rules exist to make you lose, you break the fucking rules.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
It would still be tough to get the charges to stick really against them I'd imagine unless they did any excessive restraining themselves not just that they didn't try to correct him.
Keep fighting until they stick.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I don't think it will be difficult for the charges to stick at all, and once they have the charges for the first officer sorted, I am sure we will see these charges for the additional officers applied. I have no idea why you think what they did was legal tbh. Their additional malignant actions and not just inaction actually make that easier. It isn't like they can pretend they didn't know harm was being done, everyone was pointing it out to them.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Should LGBTQ people not be allowed to have content unless it talks about homophobia in society?
I was going to respond, but you know, you're tipping your hand with your bad faith arguments here.

I really see no reason to think that someone who said something asinine is arguing in good faith, this is all fake hand wringing shit.

And for the record: they're allowed to and allowing protests to be hard to ignore doesn't disallow it so don't even pretend that's the logical conclusion.

Reactions: CaitSeith

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Some of those people objected to mostly because it was turning them into political arenas and directing the political messaging at people who in said instances were likely trying to get away from politics for a bit.

To give a prudent recent example and argument. Moviebob's The Big Picture on the ending of the new She-RA where he points out that if real world issues of homophobia and self questioning etc were brought up as issues then it wouldn't have offered the Escapism of a world without that.

People Just out protesting I have no objection to that, I dunno who really would. It's when it's seen to be entering other arenas it becomes an issue.

The argument that "They play the National Anthem so it's already Political in American sports" is kind of a stretch.

People go to those games to relax and get away from things like politics and the last thing they want is a person paid probably 10 times or more what they are telling them how they need to be better people and need to somehow do something, especially when there's not a clear how to do it.

Worse no-one outside of people whose sole hobby is politics wants to open the door and have more politics streaming into sportball. People watching Sportsball don't want a 30 minute discussion on the environmental impact of the game before it starts or how the Leather ball and Leather shoes is harmful because they're made from animal products.

Worse most Sportball fans can't do anything really to affect any changes and may very much believe in the movements ideas but everyone needs an escape from things now and again, a place to relax and to forget about stuff in the rest of the world for a bit of time.
So what you're saying is you want them to protest...

But not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...

Gotcha!

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I’m not here to diagnose you, but I know you don’t give a fuck about protesters, peaceful or otherwise. You’ve made that damn clear.
No you don't know that I don't care and I'd advise not playing internet pop psychologist neither of us would benefit from playing that game.

Hell if I didn't care I'd be off watching something or playing something now rather than engaging with some-one who can't argue and relies on strawmen, aspersions and just general shaming techniques the moment they face even a tiny amount of resistance.

Glad we’re agreed.
That it can't be feasibly done?

Wow so you're actually admitting the messaging has a problem here?

THEY BURNED DOWN A PRECINCT BUILDING. And the vast majority of that “theft” gets handed out to the crowds. This is communities giving back what has been built on their backs and their blood, particularly in LA or Atlanta where upscale boutiques and the like in wealthy neighborhoods were heavily targeted.
They also burned down, stores people rely on. Pharmacies people need for medicine. Post offices people use to communicate (and Cthulhu help them if they burned down any super important irreplaceable letters). Bars people relax in and owners have spent most of their lives working to buy and build up to where it was.

LA only happened after the first night and lets be honest most of that was probably stuff made in China these days.

The civil rights movement started with sit-ins across the board, with a riot against the entire bussing industry. Panthers didn’t carry guns sometimes, they carried guns through their entire communities, challenged cops on every street corner. The specific right place to show dissent is wherever it will do nothing, because the rules have been written to keep themselves from changing, the system constructed to perpetuate itself into eternity. When the rules exist to make you lose, you break the fucking rules.
It started with Sit ins as you said.

It targeted 1 business industry as you said.

It was targeted as I said.

As for breaking rules, you have to judge the impact of breaking them and understand consequences and if the consequences are worth it otherwise you end up as a Rebel without a clue. Going after low income housing projects in a place with a housing problem isn't the answer.

The Police station, I don't support the use of violence but that can at least be pointed to as targeting something vaguely related to what people were upset about though the Police chief is Black isn't he?

Keep fighting until they stick.
You can't do it that way. The system is built how it is for a reason because in the past people "fought until it stuck" and innocent people died quite often as a result or lost their freedom. About the best that can be done is to build on it.

I don't think it will be difficult for the charges to stick at all, and once they have the charges for the first officer sorted, I am sure we will see these charges for the additional officers applied. I have no idea why you think what they did was legal tbh. Their additional malignant actions and not just inaction actually make that easier. It isn't like they can pretend they didn't know harm was being done, everyone was pointing it out to them.
Would you want to be the person with a Gun to confront the other person with a Gun already showing some disregard for the law?

I was going to respond, but you know, you're tipping your hand with your bad faith arguments here.

I really see no reason to think that someone who said something asinine is arguing in good faith, this is all fake hand wringing shit.

And for the record: they're allowed to and allowing protests to be hard to ignore doesn't disallow it so don't even pretend that's the logical conclusion.
Oddly I borrowed the argument from Moviebob hence I linked the related video to point out the argument.

Are people not allowed escapism? Or is escapism from the real world [current year] politics of things only acceptable if you find the reality of situations objectionable and the media portrays the situation without the objectionable reality?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So what you're saying is you want them to protest...

But not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...
And not like that...

Gotcha!
Fine so everyone here is going to be fine if I just start pulling out these nice stats on Climate change and talking about all that here and not about the actual topic at all right?

I mean it's not like you're hear for a specific topic right?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That none of this matters to you.
That none of it will likely affect me doesn't mean it doesn't matter to me.

I'll likely be dead before the worst impact of Climate change hits, doesn't mean that doesn't bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.