General Gaming News.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's just sad, he should have kicked that games ass. He should have also reviewed Blops Cold War and maybe address its political agenda.
Pretty much everyone watching Yahtzee does so for the entertainment value in his delivery. Having their political views either validated or destroyed by it in the process is just icing on the cake.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty much everyone watching Yahtzee does so for the entertainment value in his delivery. Having their political views either validated or destroyed by it in the process is just icing on the cake.
With that said, while it is mostly entertainment value, he's not immune to criticism. There's plenty of his old videos where he got stuff wrong, and it was not to be intentional or made as a joke. I still like his stuff every now and then, but they're just some old videos I really can't go back to, nor was I much of a fan of a them to begin with.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
That's just sad, he should have kicked that games ass. He should have also reviewed Blops Cold War and maybe address its political agenda.
What is there really to talk about, how Infinity Ward and Treyarch took the leftover bits of Tom Clancy's franchise to create a single player campaign filled with surface level political agendas with obligatory shock content because Ubisoft obsession with GaaS mean no controversial content.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I found out something stupid.

This is the Callisto Protocol, it was announced late last year -

Here is a brief excerpt from the game's wikipedia page, and my corresponding thought process:

"The Callisto Protocol is an upcoming third-person survival horror game scheduled for release in 2022."

Nice, cool.

"The game is being developed by Striking Distance Studios, founded by Glen Schofield, who had previously co-created the Dead Space series."

Uh-huh. Interesting.

"The game is set in the same narrative universe as PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, though set several centuries in its future."

Sorry, what?

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Fucking seriously? Why though? What universe even, there is literally nothing to PUBG.
My thoughts exactly. PUBG's setting is as generic as it gets.

I can only imagine that this will only lead to some really forced reference in some codex entry, referring to a time where people dropped onto an island and had a fight.

I cannot see this being anything remotely significant. The sheer audacity of it though, just rubs me the wrong way.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, Fallen Order, for me at least, was definitely an example of "dealing with mechanics I don't like much, because I like the story and want to see where it goes."
My refusal to do this is why I dropped The Witcher, though it was less "mechanics I don't like" and more "frustratingly broken controls and combat". A game needs to be a good game first for me to want to play it; elsewise, I'll read a book/watch a movie/learn semaphore.

"The game is set in the same narrative universe as PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, though set several centuries in its future."

Sorry, what?
Somebody stayed outside the safe zone too long and it... did things to them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My refusal to do this is why I dropped The Witcher, though it was less "mechanics I don't like" and more "frustratingly broken controls and combat". A game needs to be a good game first for me to want to play it; elsewise, I'll read a book/watch a movie/learn semaphore.
Yeah, I remember trying out the first Witcher game when it was fairly new? Like it wasn't brand new, but I don't think W2 was out yet. I found the controls horrible, the protagonist was so stock standard generic as to be laughable, and I just really didn't care about anything going on. Stopped playing after about...I dunno...30 minutes?

I finished W3, because it got so much hype, but it was mostly just finishing up something that I didn't find terribly engaging. Too many disconnects of tone, writing, behavior of npcs, and the hilariously accurate way I could tell if a female character was going to be important to a quest, based on how much of her tits you could see upon meeting her, and how hot she was. "Hmm, average design middle aged woman, nah she's just going to give me directions at best. Daughter looks like a stripper from a D&D game, with a blouse cut so low it might as well be a vest....ok yep, the quest will focus on her then."

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Talking of dead space, they've just announced a remake. Not too sure how I feel about that after they turned the 3rd one into a coop shooter stuffed with micro transaction they adandonned the franchise for only selling a few millions of copy. It's pretty clear they don't understand the franchise.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Oh wow, who saw that coming?
You can’t give someone infinite time and money to do something. That’s fucking absurd. And J.Allan Brack should have kept his mouth shut until they had the budget in hand. That’s basic project management.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Talking of dead space, they've just announced a remake. Not too sure how I feel about that after they turned the 3rd one into a coop shooter stuffed with micro transaction they adandonned the franchise for only selling a few millions of copy. It's pretty clear they don't understand the franchise.
I believe that this will be a solid game. Motive is a good studio, and EA have been successfully experimenting with not ruining their games with Microtransactions, as of late - if Jedi Fallen Order and Star Wars Squadrons are anything to go by, at least.

But, yeah, EA were proper garbage back then. The meddled too much with DS3. They put the entire franchise on hold after that turned out to not be as successful as their (frankly unrealistic) expectations. Then they moved Visceral onto a Police-themed Battlefield game, of all things. Then shutdown the whole studio during the development of their upcoming Star Wars game.

For EA to do all of that, to then proudly resurrect Dead Space with a remake of the first game, not even 10 years later... its just a bit shit.

umatbro

Feb 18, 2021
Country
Australia (Not Yahtzee's homeland)
I believe that this will be a solid game. Motive is a good studio, and EA have been successfully experimenting with not ruining their games with Microtransactions, as of late - if Jedi Fallen Order and Star Wars Squadrons are anything to go by, at least.

But, yeah, EA were proper garbage back then. The meddled too much with DS3. They put the entire franchise on hold after that turned out to not be as successful as their (frankly unrealistic) expectations. Then they moved Visceral onto a Police-themed Battlefield game, of all things. Then shutdown the whole studio during the development of their upcoming Star Wars game.

For EA to do all of that, to then proudly resurrect Dead Space with a remake of the first game, not even 10 years later... its just a bit shit.
EA's lack of microtransactions are made up for by their wokeness (Battlefield V, "Desexualisation" of Miranda in the Mass Effect remake, etc)

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
EA's lack of microtransactions are made up for by their wokeness (Battlefield V, "Desexualisation" of Miranda in the Mass Effect remake, etc)
I mean, that is a whole other debate in and of itself, but if it is a choice between the two (and it isn't - these things are entirely unrelated), I'd much rather take an uncompromised gameplay loop, over some frankly obnoxious butt shots of Miranda, whilst she is explaining her tragic backstory.

Besides, she is still walking around in a skin-tight latex suit with thigh-high boots. Nobody is taking that away from you.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I mean, that is a whole other debate in and of itself, but if it is a choice between the two (and it isn't - these things are entirely unrelated), I'd much rather take an uncompromised gameplay loop, over some frankly obnoxious butt shots of Miranda, whilst she is explaining her tragic backstory.

Besides, she is still walking around in a skin-tight latex suit with thigh-high boots. Nobody is taking that away from you.
Ignore him, he is new and given the first impression that he is here to complain about how "pozzed" the market is.

Anyways, I wasn't surprised to see EA avoid treating games like a service since it has backfired on Ubisoft with multiple failed service launches that didn't even survive a single Dev Cycle for the budget they get while being rife with workplace issues of a vicious jock culture.

Reactions: Dalisclock