Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So, I've never played Saints Row, but am I missing something? I thought SR4 went full superhero/sci-fi, but this is the one that people are flaming for not being true to Saints Row?
So the first game was a blatant GTA clone. The 2nd game was dark but added some wacky mini-games to it(There one where you ride around in a septic truck and use a pressured mounted cannon to spray liquid feces on everything is a fan favorite), so came across as a dark comedy a lot. SR3 got a lot wackier, like embraced the wacky side while still kinda being "Gangstas taking over a city" and SRIV just went "Fuck, we're going full fucking whacky sci-fi crazy here and nobody gonna stop us".

So really, even with SR fans there's no agreement what SR truly is. Some people like the later whacky games better and some people like the earlier "Grounded" games. And then there's people like me who generally like all of them but for different reasons(well, not the first one because SR1 was a PS exclusive and has never been ported to anything else), because they all have good and bad points to them.

But the reason SR3 and SR4 went whacky is because GTA was already going dark with GTA4 and people seemed to like the whacky mini-games and comedy a lot more then the "Serious" shit. Not to mention SR2 has some really dark moments, including a bit where you literally watch your character mercy kill one of their trusted lieutenants because he had just been dragged miles behind a truck by a rival gang and there was no realistic way of getting him to the hospital on time.

I mean, the Saints in 2 are basically as bad, if not worse, then all the rival gangs they fight and the game more or less says it out loud at one point just in case you didn't quite realize it. It's almost as true in SR3 but the game plays it off as "Oh, it's funny when the saints do it" despite the fact the Saints could easily be considered domestic terrorists.

One of the first things you do in SR3 is steal a bunch of weapons from a military armory and kill a bunch of soldiers in the process and then later have the option to blow up a skyscraper in the middle of the city for the lols. The last 3rd of the game is basically you fighting the military head on and winning and the only reason the Saints come off looking good is that the military basically starts treating the city as a foreign power they're at war with. One of the two endings involves the military essentially carpet bombing the downtown area without restraint and then the Saints take control of the city and proclaim it an independent nation in response. But it's cool in SR3 because you're the good guys and it's cool when you cause mayhem.

Sorry, got a little carried away there. I like the games but I also get to criticize them because I like them. I actually have quite a fondness for 3 but it's obvious how weirdly tone deaf it is to its own plot, even for a game that's honestly pretty dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(well, not the first one because SR1 was a PS exclusive and has never been ported to anything else), because they all have good and bad points to them.
Actually, the first game is a 360 exclusive. 2 and later games would be on multiple consoles and PC.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My bad. For some reason I assumed it was a PS exclusive. That'll teach me not to do the cursory research before posting.
No worries. We used to have the first game on 360, but barely went through it. We quit about after 5 hours. My brother and I had way more fun with the second game; I'll tell you that.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
No worries. We used to have the first game on 360, but barely went through it. We quit about after 5 hours. My brother and I had way more fun with the second game; I'll tell you that.
I basically just youtubed the cutscenes for the first game after really liking the 2nd game. Then I realized I honestly didn't miss much by not playing it. The only weird part was not knowing the the fuck Dex or Troy wereor why people kept talking about them(Lin more or less gets forgotten, just like Carlos would in later games). Hell, people really seemed to hate Dex even into the later games, if the TVtropes pages mean anything, and I'm here "Who is Dex?" Oh, someone from that game that never got ported".

I had hoped to see what was so special about Johnny Gat, and it turns out there is nothing special about Johnny. He's just a psycho who looks cool in sunglasses and Daniel Dae Kim does some nice voice work for him, but it's not like he has any hidden depths revealed by the first game or anything. So I honestly still don't know why everyone is supposed to be so fucking in love with him by the time 3 and 4 roll around.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He's just a psycho who looks cool in sunglasses and Daniel Dae Kim does some nice voice work for him, but it's not like he has any hidden depths revealed by the first game or anything. So I honestly still don't know why everyone is supposed to be so fucking in love with him by the time 3 and 4 roll around.
It's a case of Johnny sorta being a breakout character, and a creator's pet. More so the latter, as even Johnny Gat fans feel that Volition went overboard in thinking Gat was this ultra cool, understandable, bad ass. My older brother liked him enough, and my feelings were always complete indifference.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
EA in a nutshell.

And as it was shown at the end, NFL does not give a fuck about how bad these games are. As long as they get those sweet profits from EA, i think they'll be okay with EA producing an Madden Netflix anime, Madden broadway musical, Madden light novels, Madden action figures, and bunch of other Madden stuff that I can't think of right now.

Hell, I think they'll even back Madden dildos at this point

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think it's the fact there's a lot of anger because SR is "SJW WOKE" now because......uh, reasons I guess. Or maybe those are just the really loud idiots.

I have no idea if it's gonna actually be good and I don't think we'll know until much closer until the game is much closer to actual release(so around Beginning of 2022) so It's not like I'm gonna step in and defend it. God Knows Volition has made plenty of Legit mistakes in the past few years. Gat out of Hell was a cool concept and somewhat lacking actual substance and apparently Agents of Mayhem was much the same problem.

If it's good, I'll pick it up. If it isn't, there's still 3 SR games I actually like for me to replay. Either way no reason for me to stress over something so trival.
I remember when people were bitching that the new Star Trek was being SJW. Saint's Row has always kinda had an sjw bend, especially after 3. The people complaining are dip shits who just want to whine.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I get reacting to something different and not liking it, but they're going way overboard. I still say the reaction to the DmC "reboot" got way worse and volatile comments. The behind the scenes video has way less bile, and more restrained comments, but no one is exactly feeling the love. Once again, I have no interests in this, but Volition better pray it does not bite them in the ass.

I’m wondering how the character models wound up looking about two generations behind the environmental stuff.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I remember when people were bitching that the new Star Trek was being SJW. Saint's Row has always kinda had an sjw bend, especially after 3. The people complaining are dip shits who just want to whine.

Honestly it just begs the question WTF Woke and SJW even means? Gang bangers with no restrictions on race and gender? That's the entire damn series.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Honestly it just begs the question WTF Woke and SJW even means? Gang bangers with no restrictions on race and gender? That's the entire damn series.
I guess “real” gangbangers aren’t supposed to care about paying off student loans. /sarcasm

In any case, it’s kinda funny how anyone can possibly be up in arms about design changes to a series that’s increasingly given the middle finger to conformity.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The general consensus is that SJW and Woke just refer to either something you don't like or women doing something you don't approve of. But seriously, this is just one of those things people use as an attack without knowing a damn thing about what they are using it on or what it even is supposed to mean.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’m wondering how the character models wound up looking about two generations behind the environmental stuff.
I have a big feeling the development cycle has been rushing.

But seriously, this is just one of those things people use as an attack without knowing a damn thing about what they are using it on or what it even is supposed to mean.
A good amount of them know, they just don't care or want to act surprised, because they tried to either downplay the diversity that always front and center, or they were already racist/sexist assholes that can't be white gang-banger, wannabe black hood anymore. While some are really stupid and oblivious, a lot of the others complaining ain't that dumb. The other reason being is that there are so many people that just don't like change. Usually being blinded by nostalgia and falsely thinking everything was perfect or at its best.

As long as Volition does not continually antagonize the old guard fans, they'll be okay. The game looks like it's gonna suffer regardless, because of how rushed it looks, but get something as long as the game is fun and most of its good gameplay features are there.