Our Covid Response

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Lmao, owning stock is literally the opposite of circulating...
You own the stock... in place of owning the currency...which is circulating... the only thing not circulating by you owning stock is the promise that you own part of a company. You're acting like if they spent that money on more conventional things, it'd somehow be more circulating, but it's the same thing, except needlessly driving up demand on those goods and owning a bunch of physical stuff that doesn't do anything, which would be worse in every conceivable way.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You own the stock... in place of owning the currency...which is circulating... the only thing not circulating by you owning stock is the promise that you own part of a company. You're acting like if they spent that money on more conventional things, it'd somehow be more circulating, but it's the same thing, except needlessly driving up demand on those goods and owning a bunch of physical stuff that doesn't do anything, which would be worse in every conceivable way.
Yes, it's vitally important that these rich people keep trading real money for Monopoly money and IOUs amongst each other instead of doing literally anything useful with it. If they didn't have that to not spend their cash on, they'd all be buying 40 more cars, 12 yachts, and 300 cheeseburgers for lunch

Reactions: Buyetyen

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yes, it's vitally important that these rich people keep trading real money for Monopoly money and IOUs amongst each other instead of doing literally anything useful with it. If they didn't have that to not spend their cash on, they'd all be buying 40 more cars, 12 yachts, and 300 cheeseburgers for lunch
Some people like to forget that one of the biggest periods of growth in the US coincided with one of the highest tax rates on wealth. Rich people want to invest in whatever gets them the biggest return; smart tax laws make sure that the biggest return comes from investing in plant, product and people.

We haven't had smart tax laws in this country for about sixty years.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yes that's what I say. I want to see what they have to say.
So just to be clear your stance is peoole like Bezos started with nothing but also who cares that he didn't, some people are born with advantages, life's not fair. And people who work hard "get it" but also maybe not because again, life's not fair. Jesus, you're not even able to remain coherent go a single page. You're entire stance is literally just if you're or successful fuck you.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
No because that was the argument brought forth by Avenger. That not everybody "get's it" even if they try. In which the response is "Yes and?" Because of course not everyone succeeds, because equality of outcome is not a possible reality. Everybody can work for a dream, not everyone will attain that dream, but everyone can work for it.

Before you drag out the obvious. "Dream" is simply a metaphor, used in this case to be the example of self-sustainment (i.e. a job or career in which one can live steadily). People fail at this all the time and sometimes it isn't their fault, and sometimes it is. Sometimes you fall into drink, or substance abuse, shit happens. Sometimes people's inner demons get them to do horrible things to themselves or (god forbid) others.

But these examples are only proof of the rule I've been trying to demonstrate. Success has such a wide range of variances to everyone that it is hard to really come up with a general grasp on what can be considered successful. Which is why people generally point to the 1% and ignore everything else because it is almost universally accepted that being in the 1% is the definition of "success". But that is a very poor metric when you can cite countless examples of the 1% being incredible unhappy and sucidal.

The man makes the money, the money doesn't make the man.
No, you're the one who won't shut the fuck up about the 1%, we want people who work full time to be able to afford a home and groceries. Christ.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So just to be clear your stance is peoole like Bezos started with nothing but also who cares that he didn't, some people are born with advantages, life's not fair. And people who work hard "get it" but also maybe not because again, life's not fair. Jesus, you're not even able to remain coherent go a single page. You're entire stance is literally just if you're or successful fuck you.
I think you've missed a point... This mentality means that because Bezos is successful, he gets to decide if anyone else is successful. And more importantly, make sure many people CAN'T be successful. Eg. See how Amazon suddenly finds similar products to what independent individuals sell of Amazon. They go out of their way to make sure such people lose

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
On Topic.

Like honestly... what are we doing here? Why isn't every American hanging their heads in shame? We have reality deniers and political opportunists having Americans kill other Americans because that that suits their Agenda more. Is that the makings of a great nation? Do these people really care about the sanctity of human life?

Remember when I shared my Goal of being a Canadian citizen? that was because I was scared of just living in this country with how it is accepted that minorities can lose their lives when police are involved at a drop of a hat.

Now I'm thinking I'll just go with any nation that will take me because I'm disgusted with all of this. To have a populous willingly spend needless lives for political theater... Damn, you'd think this 1984, Fahrenheit 451, or the God Damned Handmaid's Tale

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yikes. 8 hour video.

At 4:20
1632308689476.png

A vaccine supporter before this fellow says the issue is the trials have not been big enough to come up with stats he believes will show the vaccines are worth taking.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Now to either try to lighten the mood or make you incredibly depressed that it's come to this!

The cartoon baby and talking dog say you should get the vaccine.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The link you just posted is nothing but political theater.
I like this quote, " “I can tell you that we see a lot of children hospitalized as well, who have high-risk conditions and the problem is not that they didn’t get their third dose. The problem is that they are unvaccinated,” said Offit, also director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. "

Children? Unvaccinated? You mean like children under 12, who cannot even get the vaccine right now? It's purposefully vague for shock value.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Like honestly... what are we doing here? Why isn't every American hanging their heads in shame?
Because these days, to be "American" is to have a smug sense of superiority over others, and any excuse to do so is acceptable. And the more bad things that befall others, the more smugly superior the rest of us get to feel. Look at how much better I am than all those people who died to something we can't even see!

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I like this quote, " “I can tell you that we see a lot of children hospitalized as well, who have high-risk conditions and the problem is not that they didn’t get their third dose. The problem is that they are unvaccinated,” said Offit, also director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. "

Children? Unvaccinated? You mean like children under 12, who cannot even get the vaccine right now? It's purposefully vague for shock value.
The whole thing is dumb. "We've had more people die from this pandemic than ever before... based on a metric they couldn't even consider attempting to track in any previous pandemic, and only if you compare raw apples to raw oranges, since proportionally it's still 1/3rd the impact if you scale by population, and also our clickbait headline is only actually comparing to the last major pandemic to hit the US, we don't really count the near extinction of the native population."

Reactions: CriticalGaming

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Because these days, to be "American" is to have a smug sense of superiority over others, and any excuse to do so is acceptable. And the more bad things that befall others, the more smugly superior the rest of us get to feel. Look at how much better I am than all those people who died to something we can't even see!
Kind of like the burgeoning conservatives demagogues will walk in a cemetery full of those who passed from Covid to say "Thank you for your service... of giving me political clout"?

Thanks. I Hate It.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A vaccine supporter before this fellow says the issue is the trials have not been big enough to come up with stats he believes will show the vaccines are worth taking.
Okay, but who are these people, where's their data coming from and are they reliable sources? Is this not just some sort of quasi-open forum where pretty much any old chump off the street can sling together some slides and have their five minutes of waffle?

1)
The fuckwit at 4:20:10 is just a crank anti-vaxxer of no relevant expertise who is touting fraudulent science and bullshit.

2)
The guy before (the Louisiana doctor) starts off making a reasonable point... and towards the end it gets messy. He's right that an initial trial is unlikely to have sufficient power to determine incidence of very rare adverse side effects. A trial of 100,000 people is a really big trial with a lot of people. But it's unlikely to pick up a 1/100,000 rare adverse effect: you'd need millions of subjects to spot it. For a specific age group, which might be just 10,000 people of the 100,000, whilst that's still a lot of people, it will have even less ability to spot such rare effects.

But this is a known issue. Drugs and vaccines are approved after phase 3 clinical trials. In fact, there's a fourth phase to clinical trials - post-approval safety and efficacy studies to pick up this sort of thing. And it's here he goes a bit wrong. Firstly, he criticises the observational trials as inadequate - yet he is using information from these post-approval observational studies (re. myocarditis risk) to argue his point. He can't claim studies are inadequate and then treat them as a cornerstone of his own case. Next, he's just unaware of practicalities. I appreciate what he wants and the rationale for it, but running phase 3 clinical trials of the size required to find out what he wants would be staggeringly expensive and time-consuming beyond reasonable attainment.

Reactions: gorfias

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
There are plenty of family stories of people coming to this country with fucking nothing and making a business, opening a restaurant (you know one of those shitty jobs) and becoming ultra successful from it.
"Opening a restaurant" is not "working at a restaurant".

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Okay, but who are these people, where's their data coming from and are they reliable sources? Is this not just some sort of quasi-open forum where pretty much any old chump off the street can sling together some slides and have their five minutes of waffle?

1)
The fuckwit at 4:20:10 is just a crank anti-vaxxer of no relevant expertise who is touting fraudulent science and bullshit.

2)
The guy before (the Louisiana doctor) starts off making a reasonable point... and towards the end it gets messy. He's right that an initial trial is unlikely to have sufficient power to determine incidence of very rare adverse side effects. A trial of 100,000 people is a really big trial with a lot of people. But it's unlikely to pick up a 1/100,000 rare adverse effect: you'd need millions of subjects to spot it. For a specific age group, which might be just 10,000 people of the 100,000, whilst that's still a lot of people, it will have even less ability to spot such rare effects.

But this is a known issue. Drugs and vaccines are approved after phase 3 clinical trials. In fact, there's a fourth phase to clinical trials - post-approval safety and efficacy studies to pick up this sort of thing. And it's here he goes a bit wrong. Firstly, he criticises the observational trials as inadequate - yet he is using information from these post-approval observational studies (re. myocarditis risk) to argue his point. He can't claim studies are inadequate and then treat them as a cornerstone of his own case. Next, he's just unaware of practicalities. I appreciate what he wants and the rationale for it, but running phase 3 clinical trials of the size required to find out what he wants would be staggeringly expensive and time-consuming beyond reasonable attainment.
After 4 hours, the video does turn into an open forum, which is when this guy jumped in:

A profiteer to whom I can agree we should be skeptical.

Reactions: Ender910