Far Cry 6 Impressions - Amazon broke street date!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Good Life game that just came out? I played the Demo on steam just this weekend. Not sure how I feel about it honestly.
Swery's new game. I believe it's coming out next week. Swery is not a great director by any means but his games are quirky in a way I find charming. I thought the demo of Good Life was pretty likeable and definitely suggests it'll be better than Deadly Premonition 2.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The interesting thing about Ubisoft is that they don't really make bad games, yet I have very little interest in playing anything with their logo on the box (and not because of their scandals), more so than the likes of EA, Activsion, etc.

Ubisoft games are generally fun. They're generally well put together. There also aren't really that many games that do what Ubisoft games do.

But Ubisoft are also masters of creating a working formula, and then milking it completely dry, to the point of exhaustion - creating completely vapid experiences, which are completely indistinguishable from the other games in the same franchise.

They effectively take the exact same mechanical structure from their previous game, expand on it with just enough new mechanics, give it a new setting, and BAM! Sequel - $60, please.

If you are someone coming into Far Cry 6 for the first time, no doubt, you are going to have a blast. But as someone who has played Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, 4, and dipped their toes into 5 - i'm good, thanks.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The interesting thing about Ubisoft is that they don't really make bad games, yet I have very little interest in playing anything with their logo on the box (and not because of their scandals), more so than the likes of EA, Activsion, etc.

Ubisoft games are generally fun. They're generally well put together. There also aren't really that many games that do what Ubisoft games do.

But Ubisoft are also masters of creating a working formula, and then milking it completely dry, to the point of exhaustion - creating completely vapid experiences, which are completely indistinguishable from the other games in the same franchise.

They effectively take the exact same mechanical structure from their previous game, expand on it with just enough new mechanics, give it a new setting, and BAM! Sequel - $60, please.

If you are someone coming into Far Cry 6 for the first time, no doubt, you are going to have a blast. But as someone who has played Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, 4, and dipped their toes into 5 - i'm good, thanks.
That's one of many reason I don't play Ubisoft games anymore. I was accepting of the fact they were all the Ubisoft game by a certain point, but I still eventually grew tired of it because there's no respite. Any and all Ubisoft game will be THE UBISOFT GAME with a different coat of paint and some small variations in the details but it essentially feels like they're all the same game and if you've played one, you've essentially played them all. And I was pretty much only in the AC fandom so I didn't get the Far Cry or Watch Dogs making that even more insufferable.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Swery's new game. I believe it's coming out next week. Swery is not a great director by any means but his games are quirky in a way I find charming. I thought the demo of Good Life was pretty likeable and definitely suggests it'll be better than Deadly Premonition 2.
I honestly didn't realize it was a Swery game until you said that. However, knowing that some of the jank and wierdness makes a lot more sense now. I'll post my thoughts in the demo thread.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As ive gotten further into this game i find myself torn. The story is really good, and much deeper than any previous game in the series. However it is also bloated with tons of missions that feel like climaxes to storylines only to have several missions afterward to continue the plot. Its continous for no reason other than to bloat out the game which i think is one of Ubisofts biggest problems.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
As ive gotten further into this game i find myself torn. The story is really good, and much deeper than any previous game in the series. However it is also bloated with tons of missions that feel like climaxes to storylines only to have several missions afterward to continue the plot. Its continous for no reason other than to bloat out the game which i think is one of Ubisofts biggest problems.
That's one of Ubisoft's major failings as a game developer right now. The games could be a lot more focused and interesting if you chopped out at least 30% of the content and at least 10 hours. AC:Odyssey was a decent enough story but it could have been told just as well in half the gameplay time and felt a lot less stretched(and it wouldnt be so bad if you could mainline the games but since you have to level up to survive in each of the games regions, well, mandatory side quest time!). Each of the DLC was about 30 hours long, which is the same length as an older AC game if not longer. Because Ubisoft is focused on Quantity over Quality and that means you get more stuff for sure, but not necessarily better stuff.

Reactions: BrawlMan

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Far Cry is the only FPS I play so having a 'familiar' game like this every 3 years is fine by me. Not that I dislike FPS but the choice is either on-rails like CoD singleplayer or online/competitive both I don't enjoy. The kind of FPS I do enjoy is really what Far Cry delivers so I'm always having blast with these games. The gunplay in FC6 is fantastic with a huge variety of weapons, vehicles control way bettter and I loooove the propellor planes, the A.I. has improved with enemies running for cover or hiding behind trees, the weather/rain effects are back(!), the island setting fits the game like a glove and they vastly improved the physics in the game; while still not quite on par with FC2 it's certainly the best it's been since that game. The story and characters are silly but I love every scene with Giancarlo Esposito. His character doesn't get the most screen time but his presence looms over the entire island providing the necessary context and motivation to progress in the game.

I'm fine with the formula as is as long as Far Cry remains the only series that delivers this kind of experience.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's one of Ubisoft's major failings as a game developer right now. The games could be a lot more focused and interesting if you chopped out at least 30% of the content and at least 10 hours. AC:Odyssey was a decent enough story but it could have been told just as well in half the gameplay time and felt a lot less stretched(and it wouldnt be so bad if you could mainline the games but since you have to level up to survive in each of the games regions, well, mandatory side quest time!). Each of the DLC was about 30 hours long, which is the same length as an older AC game if not longer. Because Ubisoft is focused on Quantity over Quality and that means you get more stuff for sure, but not necessarily better stuff.
Hey at least you cant complain you don't get your money's worth when you buy a game. There is a shitload of stuff to do in every game so it's not like you aint getting a bang for the buck.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Sadly this kinda mirrors how I feel about many of The Witcher 3’s quests (plus a few of RDR2’s as well…I’m looking at you, gopher stranger missions). I find myself just wanting them to get resolved vs enjoying being like a rabbit chasing a carrot around and around. It’s asking a lot to sit through tons of dialog options too when the game’s carried on for so long I don’t recall what/where/how the hell any of my choices may have mattered, so I usually just pick the first option?

I guess that’s partly why I haven’t yet grown tired of MGSV on my platinum run, as even though the choppa rides can get old, the missions themselves are really well designed. You can blast through the majority of them in a few minutes for the main objective(s), or take your time digging into them via mission tasks. It’s some of the most versatile progression I’ve seen in an open world game. Just too bad something had to give via the story.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Sadly this kinda mirrors how I feel about many of The Witcher 3’s quests (plus a few of RDR2’s as well…I’m looking at you, gopher stranger missions). I find myself just wanting them to get resolved vs enjoying being like a rabbit chasing a carrot around and around. It’s asking a lot to sit through tons of dialog options too when the game’s carried on for so long I don’t recall what/where/how the hell any of my choices may have mattered, so I usually just pick the first option?

I guess that’s partly why I haven’t yet grown tired of MGSV on my platinum run, as even though the choppa rides can get old, the missions themselves are really well designed. You can blast through the majority of them in a few minutes for the main objective(s), or take your time digging into them via mission tasks. It’s some of the most versatile progression I’ve seen in an open world game. Just too bad something had to give via the story.
The difference is that Witcher's gameplay isn't fun. So if those 30 minute cutscenes won't draw you in very else will. While gameplay in Far Cry is very fun with the story just being silly window dressing. It's like whatever you prioritize in a game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The difference is that Witcher's gameplay isn't fun. So if those 30 minute cutscenes won't draw you in very else will. While gameplay in Far Cry is very fun with the story just being silly window dressing. It's like whatever you prioritize in a game.
That's very subjective. I really don't find any of the Far Cry past 3 fun. Just another variation, but in a different setting. More of the same. I've had more fun with Bulletstorm and most non-sandbox shooters. Give me all the Crysis games over any of the later Far Cry at this point. Yes, I would take Crysis 3 over Far Cry 2-6, and all of the spinoffs.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's very subjective. I really don't find any of the Far Cry past 3 fin. Just another variation, but in a different setting. More of the same. I've had more fun with Bulletstorm and most non-sandbox shooters. Give me all the Crysis games over any of the later Far Cry at this point. Yes, I would take Crysis 3 over Far Cry 2 to 6, and all of the spinoffs.

It’s a tough call for me between Crysis 3 and Far Cry 2 but the latter is still largely regarded as the best in the series by diehard fans. I haven’t played anything later, but the general consensus is it’s the last game that felt like you were actually fighting to survive, and it rewarded a thoughtful, careful play style. After that it became the classic Ubi-RPG formula with level progression and map icons all over the place.

It’s bad when a 13 year old game was more technically ambitious than one that just got released.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It’s a tough call for me between Crysis 3 and Far Cry 2 but the latter is still largely regarded as the best in the series by diehard fans. I haven’t played anything later, but the general consensus is it’s the last game that felt like you were actually fighting to survive, and it rewarded a thoughtful, careful play style. After that it became the classic Ubi-RPG formula with level progression and map icons all over the place.

It’s bad when a 13 year old game was more technically ambitious than one that just got released.
As much as a technical achievement FC2 is, I still don't like it. FC2 is only fun when you're playing the PC version. If you're on console, it is not worth the frustration.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
That's very subjective. I really don't find any of the Far Cry past 3 fun. Just another variation, but in a different setting. More of the same. I've had more fun with Bulletstorm and most non-sandbox shooters. Give me all the Crysis games over any of the later Far Cry at this point. Yes, I would take Crysis 3 over Far Cry 2 to 6, and all of the spinoffs.
To each their own. I played all three Crysis games and found them mediocre. 2 and 3 in particular were really the kind of dated 'cinematic' FPS that was so en vogue during the PS3/360 era. None of those games had the kind of freeform and emergent gameplay of Far Cry but instead rather boring, scripted setpieces.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To each their own. I played all three Crysis games and found them mediocre. 2 and 3 in particular were really the kind of dated 'cinematic' FPS that was so en vogue during the PS3/360 era. None of those games had the kind of freeform and emergent gameplay of Far Cry but instead rather boring, scripted setpieces.
The problem with later Far Cry games is that they just become padded and bloated. While Crysis 2 and 3 are not without their flaws, they're still at least fun to play. 2 I had a lot of fun with. 3's main problem that it was too short for the price. As far as best Far Cry game, that title always belong to Instincts. Plus, Ubisoft doesn't even try much anymore. It's the same crap over and over.

It's funny how much Vaas becomes a voice of reason now.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The problem with later Far Cry games is that they just become padded and bloated. While Crysis 2 and 3 are not without their flaws, they're still at least fun to play. 2 I had a lot of fun with. 3's main problem that it was too short for the price. As far as best Far Cry game, that title always belong to Instincts. Plus, Ubisoft doesn't even try much anymore. It's the same crap over and over.

It's funny how much Vaas becomes a voice of reason now.
Fun to play? Crysis 2 and 3 are bland, boring and the story is stupid. No one even gives a shit about those games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fun to play? Crysis 2 and 3 are bland, boring and the story is stupid.
In your opinion. You don't represent nor speak for everyone.

No one even gives a shit about those games.
That's one of the biggest lies, I ever heard. You don't give a shit, but there are many others that do. BTW, not doing a back and forth on this, so freaking deal with it.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Well fuck it then, I care and I'm ranking them!

lets-do-this.-gif.gif

1. Far Cry 1 - This is the best Far Cry, but also not really Far Cry. Complete freedom, no real story. Just blow stuff up and run around in the Jungle I actually went back and replayed this a couple years ago because I never beat it and I thought it was great fun until the end when it kind of turned into doom with devil monsters and it gets kind of linear in the last hour of the game.

2. Far Cry 4 - Found the best balance of all things. The plot doesn't seem interesting at first, but it gets real into Indian Sky god stuff and it has a strong set of side characters that force you to go on hallucinogenic dream quests. I feel like a lot of people who think its a generic reskin of Far Cry 3 must not have played in the whole way through as it becomes quite trippy with a lot of twists and turns. I found myself exploring largely for the sake of curiosity because the Nepal like Mountainous region in game was built to entice you to explore. I wouldn't say the ending is exceptionally weak, but it does drag you around a bit and could have been 30 minutes shorter.

3. Far Cry 3 - Far Cry 3 is perfectly solid game. It felt a lot like if you took Far Cry 1 and took away some freedom for the sake of storytelling. It lacks the more immersive freedom of Far Cry 4 and 5, but the gameplay is solid. I recall problematically that while I liked the protagonist, I didn't really give a shit about his friends and that hurt the story. Its like one of those dumb teenager horror movies, but the protagonist gets their shit together.

4. Far Cry 5 - generally felt very freeing. I never felt dragged along. It gets a large pass because they did an amazing job of representing the landscape & culture of Montana. I adored the gameplay. It ranks so low because I Ultimately felt cheated by the villains. Living in Montana I've actually encountered a ton of religious, borderline terrifying, fanaticism and racism. Also I grew up in Kentucky, home of Kim Davis and an actual life size goddamn Ark and if you really wanna get creeped out google six flags over jesus, so when Far Cry 5 pulls the rug out from under you and says "Naw its just a scam" I immediately felt like Ubisoft started out with something far more insidious and disturbing, but pulled back when theyd realized they would actually offend the evangelicals who might actually have the power to affect their bottom line.

5. Far Cry 2 - Far Cry 2 is a strange animal for me. I played it while recovering from heavy duty surgery and hallucinating on morphine. I'm confident this is true - the game only has like 4 mission types. You do these same missions to unlock stuff over and over and over and theres around a hundred of them. Drive to a place snipe a guy, drive to identical place snipe a guy etc. I don't even remember the actual game missions. It felt absurdly repetitive. Worse when you defeated a roadblock, they respawn a bit later so you get to a point where you just start driving past and not bothering. Eventually as I spaced in and out from the morphine the game became a complete I haze. I just remember sniping dudes in towers. My wife came one day and thought I was just sitting on the couch watching TV, but when she looked over it was just fire. Apparently I'd spent all day just setting the grasslands on fire and sitting there watching it burn. I think they took that option out of Far Cry, I kind of miss it.

6. Far Cry 6 - My friend just showed me that when you find new guns, you dont get them immediately. You actually have to fast travel back to some base and equip them before you actually can put them in your hand. It really sucks all the life out of the gratification you get from exploring. You also get sucky guns and have wander around collecting scrap to upgrade them to useful weapons, but you need specific crap to upgrade them which means you need to actual search for crap, but its like random, which means youre not searching in some specific place on your map you just gotta wander around picking up bullshit. WHEN THE FUCK DID FAR CRY BECOME AN MMO??? This is the literally the epitome of intentionally padding your game. Creating completely unnecessary artificial grind. The game also has a a bunch of clothing and gear and other tired Tom Clancy Mechanics and microtransactions. Im sure Far Cry 5 had some of that, but I dont recall it literally making me go "Ugh I gotta do what now?" and fucking Wax over what bullets I need to equip to go do something. I also noticed you cant get instant kills on even regular dudes unless you're X level or gun or whatever. I selected action mode because I'm experienced FPS player. I play at Gold Eagle on competitive CSGO so I thought Id get actual difficulty. Maybe swarm of enemies using smart tactics. Instead its just the same bullet sponges from The Division with equally stupid AI. Im wondering if I should have chosen story, but its not that I'm looking for an easy mode. I'm looking for better design. So far the story is not drawing me in either. It takes itself way too serious. I keep praying that guy keith or whatever shows up from Far Cry 5. Its just generic movie rebels WE GOTTA KILL EL DICTATORIO VIA LIBERTO or some generic shit. Yeah I get it, let me stand here bored out of my mind while you yammer on about free elections. So much fun.

Now hows that for some "eye of the beholder" shit?