They are trying to cancel Dave Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
More than 60% of cropland is used for animal feed, so any point you've made about arable farming (which, if I'm honest, you really haven't managed) goes against you anyway. Those river system issues you mention? Being absolutely battered by the runoff from factory farms.
It is reasonable to think that meat can still go on using land that is not suitable for farming, or with traditional farming methods of rotation where the animals fertilize the fields in years between crop growth. But this also requires a drastic decrease in animal farming, with subsequent decrease in meat production - and of course knock-on effects on price and consumption.

It's clear that particularly intensive animal farming is already problematic - pollution, overuse of antibiotics, and frankly it's just bloody unpleasant for the animals, too.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ah yes how dare Dave Chappelle not like angry social media activist who helped drive a friend of his to kill herself...........
...which is a tiny fraction of what he talks about, nestled among various other gripes and moans.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yeah, check out that walk-back!

The screw up was him not pretending to be more sympathetic to them and for the most part he's on about artistic freedom and says he doesn't feel Dave Cahppelle's special crosses a line as such.

So yeh no real walk back's there at all in reality

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"Wonder how this thread is going..."
*opens thread*
View attachment 4720

"Trans murder epidemic", what the actual fuck.
I was gone for a couple days, and missed 11 pages of stuff. When I came back to Agema talking about sustainable farming, I figured the pages in between are a lost cause and the initial topic is long gone, but you might have roped me back in.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Why is the concept of offense even a thing?
I don't know, you tell me Mr. "People being offended offends me". And yes, art is subjective, but you do realize a negative response to something still falls under the purview of subjectivity, right? Because nothing is worse than not only trying to explain the punchline of a joke, but also telling someone that they're stupid for not laughing at it in the first place (I'm probably not free from this, though in my own defense, my argument hasn't been 'these jokes are funny, laugh' but rather 'there is more meaning behind the jokes than just being insulting', but whatever). So, everyone can keep on going on about how everyone is just too sensitive to get the joke or;

I was gone for a couple days, and missed 11 pages of stuff. When I came back to Agema talking about sustainable farming, I figured the pages in between are a lost cause and the initial topic is long gone, but you might have roped me back in.
Thanks, but if you were looking to discuss Dave Chappelle, might as well look elsewhere, because, unfortunately, the tangent about sustainable farming is weirdly on topic, which is another of my main problems with this whole mess: nobody, not even Chappelle's fans, want to actually discus his special. Everyone came in with their own notions, took whatever quotes and shit would fit their attack, and ran with it. I mean, the OP of this thread is barely about Chappelle, it's about what @CriticalGaming wanted to go on about: cancel culture. Why else would you devote any length of time to some pervy old heel (but you are right about one thing, Critical, in that it is sad that he is being singled out. Hang all these old pervy heels out to dry is what I say). SJWs, cancel culture, transphobes, doesn't matter, no one care, and most annoying of all, this really is all Dave's fault. I'm a huge fan of his, and know that he is smart and capable of getting his thoughts out eloquently, so to see him basically go as crass and awful as possible, on purpose, is just the worst. He had to have known that this would have been the response, and it blows my mind.

Also, @Dwarvenhobble, I'm a rather nice person, so I should point out that I was mocking you with that last comment. Not only do I believe in the general idea behind it (transpeople are more likely to be attacked), but I further believe that the phrase "trans murder epidemic" is a phrase coined by some grifter asshole online so other assholes could point to it and go "look, trans people believe this [incredibly hyperbolic name], how stupid and hysterical are they?" You know, just like you did here in this very thread.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Thanks, but if you were looking to discuss Dave Chappelle, might as well look elsewhere, because, unfortunately, the tangent about sustainable farming is weirdly on topic, which is another of my main problems with this whole mess: nobody, not even Chappelle's fans, want to actually discus his special. Everyone came in with their own notions, took whatever quotes and shit would fit their attack, and ran with it. I mean, the OP of this thread is barely about Chappelle, it's about what @CriticalGaming wanted to go on about: cancel culture. Why else would you devote any length of time to some pervy old heel (but you are right about one thing, Critical, in that it is sad that he is being singled out. Hang all these old pervy heels out to dry is what I say). SJWs, cancel culture, transphobes, doesn't matter, no one care, and most annoying of all, this really is all Dave's fault. I'm a huge fan of his, and know that he is smart and capable of getting his thoughts out eloquently, so to see him basically go as crass and awful as possible, on purpose, is just the worst. He had to have known that this would have been the response, and it blows my mind.

Also, @Dwarvenhobble, I'm a rather nice person, so I should point out that I was mocking you with that last comment. Not only do I believe in the general idea behind it (transpeople are more likely to be attacked), but I further believe that the phrase "trans murder epidemic" is a phrase coined by some grifter asshole online so other assholes could point to it and go "look, trans people believe this [incredibly hyperbolic name], how stupid and hysterical are they?" You know, just like you did here in this very thread.
Well the phrase works to fit what is being presented by multiple different organisations all using roughly the same highly flawed claims and data. Hell the phrase itself likely was taken from those originally using it due to the shock value of including the term epidemic in it being used to get a emotional reaction out of people. In terms of mockery, well I liked it because yeh walking back into the thread seeing that would probably see said gif you posted be an appropriate response. The thing being this is where or at least why some of the claims are being pushed about harm being done by the jokes because and pushes to connect Dave Chappelle to similar lists. Hell did you know people tried to blame him for Daphne's death around the time it happened?

Are Trans people more likely to be attacked?
I can't give a definitive answer because most of the stats coming out include people who died of natural causes as victims of violence without any evidence supporting it. I'd say maybe, because it's one more characteristic people could attack a person over. The issue is it won't stop by banning jokes.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So Vito (The Last Jedi is a cinematic Disaster) went to the protest.

Figured I'd put this here as there's some actual footage of the protest included.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do find it funny he finally listens after 13 pages, and that pretty much what others have told him, yet he listens to you. I have no problem with you at all and cool in my book, but something I noticed. Funny how that was all ignored until now.

Like I mentioned before, Chapelle has obvious chip on his shoulder he desperately needs to work on. Him being thundering jack ass ain't helping and is making him no different from the asshole fans and "fans" that enjoyed his old show for the wrong reasons.

Don't forget, well known goal poster and will always down play or pull a whaboutism bull crap, despite knowing little or nothing about the subject or said major social issues and horrific crimes. Taking info for false spreaders, schemers, and grifters as fact or the ultimate truth. Glad you called him out, but waste time with him too much. Goal posting is all he ever does or knows, because he's got nothing else otherwise.

Well the phrase works to fit what is being presented by multiple different organizations all using roughly the same highly flawed claims and data. Hell the phrase itself likely was taken from those originally using it due to the shock value of including the term epidemic in it being used to get a emotional reaction out of people. In terms of mockery, well I liked it because yeh walking back into the thread seeing that would probably see said gif you posted be an appropriate response. The thing being this is where or at least why some of the claims are being pushed about harm being done by the jokes because and pushes to connect Dave Chappelle to similar lists. Hell did you know people tried to blame him for Daphne's death around the time it happened?

Are Trans people more likely to be attacked?
I can't give a definitive answer because most of the stats coming out include people who died of natural causes as victims of violence without any evidence supporting it. I'd say maybe, because it's one more characteristic people could attack a person over. The issue is it won't stop by banning jokes.
Case and point proven. Doing it again.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'll remember this the next time you take offense to someone rolling their eyes at your arguments.
I've never taken offense to anything.

That's literally what you did: posted the feature length movie about how people can't joke about anything anymore, mostly featuring people who're mad that people don't think they're funny anymore
Did some people take it too far? I dunno, probably. Ironically, it's hard for me to have an opinion on this because I've already taken your advice and stopped giving a shit about most of these people
Calling the cops on people for saying something is pretty fucked up when you can just leave. The movie is not about people who're mad that people don't think they're funny anymore.

I don't know, you tell me Mr. "People being offended offends me". And yes, art is subjective, but you do realize a negative response to something still falls under the purview of subjectivity, right? Because nothing is worse than not only trying to explain the punchline of a joke, but also telling someone that they're stupid for not laughing at it in the first place (I'm probably not free from this, though in my own defense, my argument hasn't been 'these jokes are funny, laugh' but rather 'there is more meaning behind the jokes than just being insulting', but whatever). So, everyone can keep on going on about how everyone is just too sensitive to get the joke or;
Huh? Did you not read my posts? I said I'm not offended by anything because it's a meaningless concept. Just because I think being being offended by things is stupid doesn't make me offended by someone else being offended. I think wearing shoes with laces is stupid for example (when laceless shoes exist), do you think I'm offended by people wearing shoes with laces? However people being offended by things have consequences to freedom of speech whereas wearing laced shoes only has more people tripping (just like this thread... yeah... bad joke).

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I guess it ultimately is going to come down to how dictorial we want society to become. I feel like people have this utopia in mind where nobody will have racist, sexist, of phobic comments, everyone will intermingle and get along under strict penalty otherwise. And it is simply a fantasy.

Rather than get a thicker skin, or simply not consume media in which upsets you, people instead expect the world to change to fit their tastes.

But here is the question i will pose? To whom would you give the rulemaker? To what person or agency will you grant the power to universally determine what is offensive and what isnt. To what can be said as free speech and what can't, thus removing the "free" part entirely?

Keep in mind that there has never in all of history ever been a completely peaceful human society ever. It isnt in human nature, we are different and we are tribal and with that will always come conflict.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
people instead expect the world to change to fit their tastes.
That's all well and good, but that's what you been doing a lot of the time with your topics in the current events forum. So really, your statement comes off as hypocritical by a lot.

But here is the question i will pose? To whom would you give the rulemaker? To what person or agency will you grant the power to universally determine what is offensive and what isnt. To what can be said as free speech and what can't, thus removing the "free" part entirely?
Free speech doesn't become free speech when it's all about hate or putting down the downtrodden and marginalized. While Chappelle's words weren't exactly hate speech, I wouldn't exactly call it good speech either. No matter how many times you will call him the GOAT or the Best comedian the entire infinite universe, the man is not immune to criticism. I was not offended by the jokes I seen, but most of them I wasn't laughing or I found them unfunny. He had a few chuckles here in there, but most were just really bad punchlines and more like rants. It's what he's been doing the last two or three shows now.

You want free speech, you are going to get criticized at some point. It doesn't matter if you have the actual facts or not.
Keep in mind that there has never in all of history ever been a completely peaceful human society ever. It isnt in human nature, we are different and we are tribal and with that will always come conflict.
It still doesn't change the fact, that you have those that go way out of their way to be jackasses and dicks about everything. And it's all my way or highway bull crap and they don't want any compromises. And where it usually comes from is those that want the status quo to remain the same or be worse. You keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You want free speech, you are going to get criticized at some point. It doesn't matter if you have the actual facts or not.
Ive said time and time again, criticism is fine and encouraged. Stomping your feet and demanding something removed strictly on the basis of you not liking it, is not okay and should never be acceptable.

I do understand that there is some irony in me "canceling the cancellers" but i dont really equate that as the same thing. A person selling drugs to make a living is just doing his job, but that doesnt make that job okay even if that person is otherwise a law abiding citizen.

And in terms on canceling, there is very clearly a wrong side. A random body of people should not have the right to dictate what media can and cannot exist. Nor should they be able to stand on a metaphorical box and exaggerate words into calls of violence or action unless you can deliberately prove a statement to be a direct call. And cant just be your "feeling" like it is any sort of indictment.

Joke clearly do not fall into this catagory, whether they are good or bad and whether an individual enjoyed it or not. Enjoyment is irrelevant.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It still doesn't change the fact, that you have those that go way out of their way to eat jackasses and dicks about everything. And it's all my way to highway bull crap and they don't want any compromises. And where it usually comes from is those that want the status quo to remain the same or be worse. You keep that in mind.
Does it? Really?

Nobody in my camp was saying shit about Dave's special one way or another until the "my way or the highway" folks started demanding that they get their way in the total removal of the special.

So you're saying its okay for one side to be upset because you agree with them, but not okay for the other point of view because you dont like it. Yet im the hypocrite? Ok i guess we are both guilty then.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Considering the only people who got canceled by Dave's special were the trans Netflix employees who dared to say they had a problem with the content, yes.
Can I point out the employees were fired for either storming a high-level exec meeting with no clearance or leaking confidential corporate information about Chappelle's paycheck and NOT "speaking their mind"?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ive said time and time again, criticism is fine and encouraged. Stomping your feet and demanding something removed strictly on the basis of you not liking it, is not okay and should never be acceptable.

I do understand that there is some irony in me "canceling the cancellers" but i dont really equate that as the same thing. A person selling drugs to make a living is just doing his job, but that doesnt make that job okay even if that person is otherwise a law abiding citizen.

And in terms on canceling, there is very clearly a wrong side. A random body of people should not have the right to dictate what media can and cannot exist. Nor should they be able to stand on a metaphorical box and exaggerate words into calls of violence or action unless you can deliberately prove a statement to be a direct call. And cant just be your "feeling" like it is any sort of indictment.

Joke clearly do not fall into this catagory, whether they are good or bad and whether an individual enjoyed it or not. Enjoyment is irrelevant.
And I didn't say anything about Dave Chappelle being removed. Even those that didn't ask for him to be removed, are still free to criticize. Just because a few said to remove him doesn't mean everyone in the entire goddamn United States that are trans want him to be removed. But plenty that are trans or non-trans that support those that are trans, have the right to criticize him as sees fit. And once again nobody's going to cancel Dave freaking Chappelle. He already canceled himself nearly 20 years ago. Who's going to cancel them? Who? Only he himself can do it. The whole cancel culture thing is bullcrap and if anything, it's usually Republicans or Conservatives that use outrage tactics to remove or silence people cuz they don't want them being represented positively or have a voice. So you seem to keep forgetting that for some dumb reason, despite all the evidence being there.

Does it? Really?

Nobody in my camp was saying shit about Dave's special one way or another until the "my way or the highway" folks started demanding that they get their way in the total removal of the special.

So you're saying its okay for one side to be upset because you agree with them, but not okay for the other point of view because you dont like it. Yet im the hypocrite? Ok i guess we are both guilty then.
Figure it out dude. I already gave you the answer several times, but you rather not pay attention or ignore statements have already been said. The ones in charge of Netflix definitely have the highway or my way attitude. That executive that was just mouthing off constantly defending Dave only to act like a little ***** boy and start apologizing it and regretting all of a sudden. And you have that attitude as well with many of your topics where you get offended by people actually having a problem or being offended with something offensive, or whining about house Victoria's secret models are not like the good old days anymore. Dude, a brick has more self-awareness than you right now. Learn to actually read the fucking room,b and not the one you just created for your special safe space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can I point out the employees were fired for either storming a high-level exec meeting with no clearance or leaking confidential corporate information about Chappelle's paycheck and NOT "speaking their mind"?
Yet one trans black employee, and the only one there, got fired for trying to protect her bosses and supervisors. They did rehire her, but it was because they knew it was a bad move and a PR disaster. So I just find it funny they didn't start going after the other ones to way later. They went after the one person that was trying to help them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.