A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

I'm totally no expert on law, but if the executive agrees to hand over documents to the legislature voluntarily, I absolutely cannot see any good reason why a private citizen - even one who used to be head of the executive - has any grounds to interfere. Trump was of course famous extremely litigious before he came president. I suppose he might in some cases have made quite a lot of money that way, but I think he's probably wasted a lot on stupid cases too - maybe his lawyers weren't prepared to tell him he had no worthwhile case, or it just gave him some comfort that he was doing something.

Irrespective of the political sides, I'm a big fan of government transparency. I appreciate some stuff needs to be locked away because it's not appropriate for the wrong eyes to see, but I'd like more of what governments and high ranking officials did made public where viable.
I fail to see how Trump has any standing.
Considering his willingness to file legal actions that any 1L student could explain has no merit, I think this is just his go-to opening move.

Reactions: Agema

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I fail to see how Trump has any standing.
Considering his willingness to file legal actions that any 1L student could explain has no merit, I think this is just his go-to opening move.
You'll know a great deal more than I will.

But I figure there's stuff in there that potentially looks bad. Do you think he could be impeached a third time if it's bad enough? ;)

Reactions: CM156

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Trump is still trying to assert "executive privilege" even though he's no longer in office. Does he think that having held the office gives him permanent power? Are actual conservatives really okay with this?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Trump is still trying to assert "executive privilege" even though he's no longer in office. Does he think that having held the office gives him permanent power? Are actual conservatives really okay with this?
Conservatives or Republicans? The former is generally not, the latter definitely is.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Sovereign Citizens are such a pain in the ass. Check out this smug SOB from 2018:

Their confrontational smugness does not do themselves any favours. That was a surprisingly cathartic tasing. (Tasering?)

Speaking of possible catharsis...

WASHINGTON (AP) — A House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection voted unanimously Tuesday to hold former White House aide Steve Bannon in contempt of Congress after the longtime ally of former President Donald Trump defied a subpoena for documents and testimony.

Still defending his supporters who broke into the Capitol that day, Trump has aggressively tried to block the committee’s work by directing Bannon and others not to answer questions in the probe. Trump has also filed a lawsuit to try to prevent Congress from obtaining former White House documents.

But lawmakers have made clear they will not back down as they gather facts and testimony about the attack involving Trump’s supporters that left dozens of police officers injured, sent lawmakers running for their lives and interrupted the certification of President Joe Biden’s victory.

The committee’s chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said Tuesday that Bannon “stands alone in his complete defiance of our subpoena” and the panel will not take no for an answer.

He said that while Bannon may be “willing to be a martyr to the disgraceful cause of whitewashing what happened on January 6th — of demonstrating his complete loyalty to the former President,” the contempt vote is a warning to other witnesses.

“We won’t be deterred. We won’t be distracted. And we won’t be delayed,” Thompson added.

The Tuesday evening vote sends the contempt resolution to the full House, which is expected to vote on the measure Thursday. House approval would send the matter to the Justice Department, which would then decide whether to pursue criminal charges against Bannon.

The contempt resolution asserts that the former Trump aide and podcast host has no legal standing to rebuff the committee — even as Trump’s lawyer has argued that Bannon should not disclose information because it is protected by the privilege of the former president’s office. The committee noted that Bannon, fired from his White House job in 2017, was a private citizen when he spoke to Trump ahead of the attack. And Trump has not asserted any such executive privilege claims to the panel itself, lawmakers said.

Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, one of just two Republicans on the committee, said: “Mr. Bannon’s and Mr. Trump’s privilege arguments do appear to reveal one thing, however: They suggest that President Trump was personally involved in the planning and execution of January 6th. And we will get to the bottom of that.”

The committee says it is pursuing Bannon’s testimony because of his apparent role in the events of Jan. 6, including his communications with Trump ahead of the siege, his efforts to get the former president to focus on Jan. 6, the day Congress certified the presidential vote, and his comments on Jan. 5 that “all hell is going to break loose” the next day.

Bannon “appears to have had multiple roles relevant to this investigation, including his role in constructing and participating in the ‘stop the steal’ public relations effort that motivated the attack” and “his efforts to plan political and other activity in advance of January 6th,” the committee wrote in the resolution recommending contempt.

The Biden White House has rejected Bannon’s claims, with Deputy Counsel Jonathan Su writing Bannon’s lawyer this week to say that “at this point we are not aware of any basis for your client’s refusal to appear for a deposition.” Biden’s judgment that executive privilege is not justified, Su wrote, “applies to your client’s deposition testimony and to any documents your client may possess.”

Asked last week if the Justice Department should prosecute those who refuse to testify, Biden said yes. But the Justice Department quickly pushed back, with a spokesman saying the department would make its own decisions.

While Bannon has said he needs a court order before complying with his subpoena, former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and former White House and Pentagon aide Kashyap Patel have been negotiating with the committee. It is unclear whether a fourth former White House aide, Dan Scavino, will comply.

The committee has also subpoenaed more than a dozen people who helped plan Trump rallies ahead of the siege, and some of them are already turning over documents and giving testimony.

The vote came a day after Trump sued the committee and the National Archives to fight the release of documents the committee has requested. Trump’s lawsuit, filed after Biden said he’d allow the documents’ release, claims that the panel’s August request was overly broad and a “vexatious, illegal fishing expedition.” Trump’s suit seeks to invalidate the entirety of the congressional request, calling it overly broad, unduly burdensome and a challenge to separation of powers. It requests a court injunction to bar the archivist from producing the documents.

The Biden administration, in clearing the documents for release, said the violent siege of the Capitol more than nine months ago was such an extraordinary circumstance that it merited waiving the privilege that usually protects White House communications.
Bannon is long overdue any shred of accountability whatsoever.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, he did have a habit of seemingly overstating his power whilst president, although to what extent that was boasting bullshit or ignorance is not clear.

I doubt much has changed about his attitude since he left power.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then why did you fall for him in the first place you dumb fuck 🥜?

Well those 66% are really delusional have their heads up their asses.

Last edited:

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
"That same poll also found that 77% of Republicans don't hold Trump responsible for it anyway."

Please. Even if Trump didn't do anything that could be legally classified as a crime, it seems clear to me what his intent on Jan 6 was.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
"That same poll also found that 77% of Republicans don't hold Trump responsible for it anyway."

Please. Even if Trump didn't do anything that could be legally classified as a crime, it seems clear to me what his intent on Jan 6 was.
This is a group that wonders why politics is so polarized and no one wants to open for discussion.

After this whole riot I was hoping this was a rallying for Republicans and some conservatives to take a step back and recollect. Hell I refer to the those idiots as Trumpsters so as to not throw all conservatives under the bus but damn that is a really high number.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Then why did you fall for him in the first place you dumb fuck 🥜?

I want you to know that I appreciate you putting these together every few days. I get a great feeling of schottenfreude from reading these articles.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
After this whole riot I was hoping this was a rallying for Republicans and some conservatives to take a step back and recollect.
For that to happen, people would need to be able to distance themselves from the event. Which is difficult to do within the general "Republicans are a criminal organization and are all guilty of insurrection" atmosphere we've got going on right now. When congressional representatives meeting their constituents get accused of helping to plan political assassinations, that doesn't leave a lot of time to step back and recollect.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
For that to happen, people would need to be able to distance themselves from the event. Which is difficult to do within the general "Republicans are a criminal organization and are all guilty of insurrection" atmosphere we've got going on right now. When congressional representatives meeting their constituents get accused of helping to plan political assassinations, that doesn't leave a lot of time to step back and recollect.
Yet here the majority of those republicans are, trying to vote against the most basic of accountability yet again...

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Yet here the majority of those republicans are, trying to vote against the most basic of accountability yet again...

Congress has no constitutional authority to pursue an investigation like this, and were I in Congress, I would vote against the January 6th commission at every opportunity. If someone defied a subpoena for something like a Clinton email investigation, I would likewise vote against holding them in contempt. Congressional subpoenas are meant for informing legislation, not Maoist struggle sessions.

Edit: "The most basic of accountability" is performed by the other two branches of government. This commission is extreme measures.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Its especially when the Republicans themselves don't even want to distance themselves from the event. Rather than admit a serious line had been crossed large swats of them prefer to dive into some fantasy land where they and their president did nothing wrong.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Its especially when the Republicans themselves don't even want to distance themselves from the event. Rather than admit a serious line had been crossed large swats of them prefer to dive into some fantasy land where they and their president did nothing wrong.
Do you want them to accept "their president" lost without dignity, pretended otherwise, and accidentally stoked a riot on the capital? Or do you want them to believe that Trump was trying to violently overthrow the US government? If the former, I'm with you. If the latter, you're not helping. Trying to get people to reject lies by presenting them with equal lies is not effective.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Do you want them to accept "their president" lost without dignity, pretended otherwise, and accidentally stoked a riot on the capital? Or do you want them to believe that Trump was trying to violently overthrow the US government? If the former, I'm with you. If the latter, you're not helping. Trying to get people to reject lies by presenting them with equal lies is not effective.
Trump did a lot, lot more than "accidentally stoke" a riot at the capitol.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
What makes you believe that?
Everything he said from election day until January 6.

EDIT: And everything he's said since then. And no, his weak statement trying to call off his supporters when it was clear everything was out of control does not count. It is as though he threw a man from a building and then ordered him to stop halfway down.

Last edited: