Not open for further replies.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Should I watch Corner Gas if I like Letterkenny?
Eh? I can't recommend one way or the other, it was just a show I watched every now and again years ago. It's more of your traditional sitcom, which will probably be a step down compared to Letterkenny's general wittiness/verbosity.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Eh? I can't recommend one way or the other, it was just a show I watched every now and again years ago. It's more of your traditional sitcom, which will probably be a step down compared to Letterkenny's general wittiness/verbosity.
Yeah, traditional sitcoms are markedly less Shakespearean.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Yeah, traditional sitcoms are markedly less Shakespearean.
Like I said, I barely remember the show outside of "thought it was American, turns out to be Canadian" and I don't want to discourage you from it on that alone. I imagine there are clips up on Youtube to peruse through.
Video games and TV/movies aren't the same in your argument. What on Netflix is broken and unplayable or an obvious scam? And EA removing lootboxes was because the vast majority of people didn't fucking like it. If you have data showing the vast majority of people don't like Dave Chappelle specials, then you got an argument.

The fact that a very minor number of people can get something potentially removed/cancelled is not healthy in any way. The fact that Netflix had to say that the special wouldn't be removed shows how influential such things are, Netflix shouldn't have even acknowledged that bullshit. Far far far far greater backlashes don't even get the time of day like when there's a huge backlash against a casting choice like Michael Keaton for Batman. Did Warner Bros. have to publicly comment and say we are not removing Michael Keaton from the movie? Yes, I knew the Dave Chappelle special wouldn't be removed but the fact that some people thought that it should be removed is the problem. What if this wasn't a Dave Chappelle special and some up and coming comedian's 1st crack at such an audience, would Netflix decide to play it safe and remove it since it wouldn't be something bringing in subscriptions? Then you get this and that removed and one day it is someone as big as Dave Chappelle having their content removed. People feel like they are entitled to not ever be offended and the concept of being offended is literally meaningless, much like how gamer entitlement is a bunch of bullshit. I'm not going to treat trans people differently if they got something removed, but there's quite a few that would, there's plenty of cases of people of certain groups being attacked for less. Again, just taking note of human behavior, how would removing the special end up being a net positive for trans people?
Ok yeah, you got me there in that it is different. My point was that there was overlap (as in that they are the same) between criticism and calling for something's removal, but honestly...I did not want to have this conversation. I just wanted to talk about Chappelle, and then ended up here in the weeds arguing about shit I neither know or care about. I'm sorry for my initial comment that started this whole tangent (well...atleast the snooty opener I had, as I still stand by the rest) as I just can't bring myself to care about this 'cancel culture' shit. It all feels like everyone tilting at windmills, because who has actually been cancelled that has still remained cancelled? Only person I can actually think of is Weinstein. Being 'cancelled' doesn't seem to actually be a thing to me. As for that last bit, see my earlier comment. If all it takes for someone to be horrible is them thinking someone else has taken their toys, then there were both always horrible and probably did not deserve the toys in the first place.

Reactions: tstorm823

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So people can boycott Netflix but can't boycott Netflix? Because you can't boycott Chapelle without boycotting Netflix, streaming services don't work like that. Netflix doesn't give you a discount.
You are trying to pull this to a degree to make it somehow okay for you to still enjoy the platform, but also not like the platform. You don't want to support Netflix because they put on a comedy show you don't like, however you also don't want to give up Netflix because there is a wide array of entertainment available that you still want to be able to enjoy.

So basically you are unwilling to commit to either actually pulling your money from Netflix, while at the same time trying desperately to justify why this one program on the site shouldn't be there. These people want the show removed to make them personally more comfortable because they can't bring themselves to actually cancel their Netflix account.

And Netflix knows this. You are going to keep paying them so why should they give a fuck what you say or think? You can complain and demand all you want, but until you pull your money from them it is meaningless crying.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You are trying to pull this to a degree to make it somehow okay for you to still enjoy the platform, but also not like the platform. You don't want to support Netflix because they put on a comedy show you don't like, however you also don't want to give up Netflix because there is a wide array of entertainment available that you still want to be able to enjoy.

So basically you are unwilling to commit to either actually pulling your money from Netflix, while at the same time trying desperately to justify why this one program on the site shouldn't be there. These people want the show removed to make them personally more comfortable because they can't bring themselves to actually cancel their Netflix account.

And Netflix knows this. You are going to keep paying them so why should they give a fuck what you say or think? You can complain and demand all you want, but until you pull your money from them it is meaningless crying.
I was explaining the simple logistics as to how boycotting a show on Netflix works. It's not like a traditional cable show or like a YouTube thing where "just don't watch that specific show" has an actual effect. Dunno how or why you're reading more into that

Are you actually saying that people boycotting netflix until they remove the special is okay or is boycotting itself cancel culture?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Are you actually saying that people boycotting netflix until they remove the special is okay or is boycotting itself cancel culture?
Depends on the reason for the boycott.

Is pulling all support from Blizzard for bad business practices "cancelling" Blizzard.

The answer is no. Because in this example the boycott is not trying to remove anything specifically, it's just tryng to encourage a correction of how Blizzard opperates.

However if you are boycotting Blizzard because you want the World of Warcraft shutdown because it harbors racist stereotypes by featuring Orcs, then in this case yes the boycott is "cancelling".

The difference here is that in one boycott you are asking for a change, a modification to what exists into something better. Whereas the other example wants the offending thing removed, deleted, gone forever based off personal preference.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
There's a difference between refusing to watch something, and actively trying to get it removed so that no one is able to watch it.
I see this more as an employee (contractor in this case) being offensive to patrons of Netflix. This delineation between products and what you can do is somewhat accurate but doesn't fit this situation.

Also, I'm not into CriticalGaming's stance of 'workers can treat customers however they want'

I am interested in asking if you think the people who demanded others not watch Last Jedi and then used the 'proof' that it did poorly at the box office to try and get Kathleen fired stands. Because that's how a lot boycotts you favour end up

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
But my argument is the asshat move is going into a place you know you likely won't be welcome and then getting mad when you're not welcomed there.

To circle it back round to an example more suitable for Netflix. It would be like arguing to remove staircases in building and have them all be replaced by ramps people in wheelchairs can't use stairs rather than arguing for there to be a lift if there isn't already one for people who are in wheelchairs.

The argument is that Dave Chappelle's show if offensive and problematic because it contains content that offends people but said people chose to view said special and Netflix has put out and paid for content about and or by Trans individuals and diverse individuals. The Lift already exists so the stairs don't need to be removed in the name of equity.
Have you ever heard of fires?

EDIT: Or power outages. Or maintenance. Or breakdowns.

Did you at all in your life think that stairs in general were unnecessary for able body people if there are lifts?

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Like I said, I barely remember the show outside of "thought it was American, turns out to be Canadian" and I don't want to discourage you from it on that alone. I imagine there are clips up on Youtube to peruse through.

Ok yeah, you got me there in that it is different. My point was that there was overlap (as in that they are the same) between criticism and calling for something's removal, but honestly...I did not want to have this conversation. I just wanted to talk about Chappelle, and then ended up here in the weeds arguing about shit I neither know or care about. I'm sorry for my initial comment that started this whole tangent (well...atleast the snooty opener I had, as I still stand by the rest) as I just can't bring myself to care about this 'cancel culture' shit. It all feels like everyone tilting at windmills, because who has actually been cancelled that has still remained cancelled? Only person I can actually think of is Weinstein. Being 'cancelled' doesn't seem to actually be a thing to me. As for that last bit, see my earlier comment. If all it takes for someone to be horrible is them thinking someone else has taken their toys, then there were both always horrible and probably did not deserve the toys in the first place.
The failure to cancel some-one permanently is mostly due to the fact that people find ways to pivot to other things. It doesn't mean they were basically locked out from their previous ways to an extent.

Just because Johnny Depp is managing to work the indie circuit doesn't mean his career as a Hollywood main actor is revived and back.

The other thing with people being cancelled is it's the general public who suffers more but you rarely hear about them because they're not big celebrities. I mean Liana K has said before that she's had companies approach her and say they'd like her to work with them but only if it's not public or credited because they don't want to deal with the angry mobs still pissed off at her for being critical of Anita Sarkeesian.

I was explaining the simple logistics as to how boycotting a show on Netflix works. It's not like a traditional cable show or like a YouTube thing where "just don't watch that specific show" has an actual effect. Dunno how or why you're reading more into that

Are you actually saying that people boycotting Netflix until they remove the special is okay or is boycotting itself cancel culture?
Actually it is. Netflix determines a shows worth by views and or new subscribers (actually so does Amazon Prime but Prime also sells seasons of shows so it has other metrics too). It might even have more of an impact as traditional networks will these day pay for multiple seasons or be fine with shows that underperform comparatively but can be put into slots and pull in specific demographics.
Netflix has cancelled shows before based on not meeting targets etc.

Also as it's specifically targeting Dave Chappelle's special with the grounds of remove it or you boycott I would say it would fall into a category of trying to cancel Chappelle. If you were boycotting due to lack of shows for Trans people that would NOT be cancelling as it's calling for improvements to the network in you view.

Sounds like splitting hairs to me
Well the world isn't always simple

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I see this more as an employee (contractor in this case) being offensive to patrons of Netflix. This delineation between products and what you can do is somewhat accurate but doesn't fit this situation.

Also, I'm not into CriticalGaming's stance of 'workers can treat customers however they want'

I am interested in asking if you think the people who demanded others not watch Last Jedi and then used the 'proof' that it did poorly at the box office to try and get Kathleen fired stands. Because that's how a lot boycotts you favour end up
See that's an interesting one because it depends how much you believe she had a hand in crafting the films and didn't just do a poor job planning and looking over who would take the reigns of the franchise and their plans. Honestly ideally I'd want her moved to a franchise where she actually seems to work a an executive in charge of it because her run on managing Star Wars has seen sentient rocks join Star Wars as a race along with writers on about how Tie Fighters "Hibbled and bibbled herkily jerkily across the sky". Even still people don't want the films pulled from sale and no available for people to see, maybe erased from cannon going forward but still there as a sort of set of side tales like how the original expanded universe was made non cannon to make way for the Disney cannon.

Have you ever heard of fires?

EDIT: Or power outages. Or maintenance. Or breakdowns.

Did you at all in your life think that stairs in general were unnecessary for able body people if there are lifts?
Yeh but you could totally replace the stairs with abseil points and escape kits and on taller buildings you put some of the emergency quick opening parachutes. Both of which can technically be more accessible.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
The failure to cancel some-one permanently is mostly due to the fact that people find ways to pivot to other things. It doesn't mean they were basically locked out from their previous ways to an extent.

Just because Johnny Depp is managing to work the indie circuit doesn't mean his career as a Hollywood main actor is revived and back.

The other thing with people being cancelled is it's the general public who suffers more but you rarely hear about them because they're not big celebrities. I mean Liana K has said before that she's had companies approach her and say they'd like her to work with them but only if it's not public or credited because they don't want to deal with the angry mobs still pissed off at her for being critical of Anita Sarkeesian.
Yeah but...if it isn't permanent, and they can just keep on doing what they were doing...have they been cancelled? Like, this is what I mean right here, you tell me that Johnny Depp was cancelled, and I have not a clue what you are talking about. I don't follow social media, or most news to be honest, so I'm completely drawing a blank. Something to do with his messy relationship with...Jessica Heard? (Plus, isn't everyone back on 'Team Johnny' anyway or something?).

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah but...if it isn't permanent, and they can just keep on doing what they were doing...have they been cancelled? Like, this is what I mean right here, you tell me that Johnny Depp was cancelled, and I have not a clue what you are talking about. I don't follow social media, or most news to be honest, so I'm completely drawing a blank. Something to do with his messy relationship with...Jessica Heard? (Plus, isn't everyone back on 'Team Johnny' anyway or something?).
It sounds like that relationship was a trash fire and no one came out of it looking good.

But yes, now people are Team Johnny

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That's kinda part of the joke.......

Amber Heard.
Also yes most of the audience of back on team Depp because holy shit his return fire lawsuit against her and just the masses of evidence pouring out including evidence of her setting up stuff deliberately to try and make him come off as worse and faking evidence against him then trying to sue people into silence who reveal evidence that shows she faked things. Like people say the truth with out and damn if it isn't pouring out these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.