They are trying to cancel Dave Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Nah, that's just stuff you make up. See plenty of other threads for proof of that. Just because Tucker speaks, doesn't mean it true.

Also, the conservative English did such a bang up job 👏👏. You cant even go to pubs in your own borders. You should be proud.

What a great story. I'm going to be sharing how conservative in England got themselves into this position with everyone I know. It's like the banana farms in Guatemala leading to the army being banned from most of the country. How did you fuck up that bad?

BTW, I don't know any Welsh people. I do know plenty of Irish though. The lower bit. They hate the English. With a passion. But the individuals? No. They can tell the difference betwen a government and its citizens who are (generally) innocent
1) I've barely seen any Tucker stuff lol
2) Most of where I get it from is seeing activists etc call for it.
3) Plenty of pubs to go to out there lol. You just don't go to the Welsh nationalist ones which are like 1 out of the 30+ in some Welsh towns.
4) You can go in the pub but don't expect a warm welcome. It's just how it is. Like do you not have pubs you just don't go in due to various reasons where you live?

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
3) Plenty of pubs to go to out there lol. You just don't go to the Welsh nationalist ones which are like 1 out of the 30+ in some Welsh towns.
4) You can go in the pub but don't expect a warm welcome. It's just how it is. Like do you not have pubs you just don't go in due to various reasons where you live?
One more reason I don't travel abroad. Especially Japan, but now add Wales to that list.

And yes, we have those places here in hillbilly land. Ho BOY do we have them. The thing is, though, the places where what we call "Shitkickers" hang out are not exactly nice places to begin with. They're the sorts of places you go to buy meth as much as drink, and where pissing out in the alley is not a sex offense, but a legit substitute for using the can. The places don't form because of grand ideological brotherhood, they form because it's the only place that the clientele hasn't been banned from yet for acting like intoxicated bullies or openly dealing drugs. In short, THEY AREN'T A SOURCE OF PRIDE.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
One more reason I don't travel abroad. Especially Japan, but now add Wales to that list.

And yes, we have those places here in hillbilly land. Ho BOY do we have them. The thing is, though, the places where what we call "Shitkickers" hang out are not exactly nice places to begin with. They're the sorts of places you go to buy meth as much as drink, and where pissing out in the alley is not a sex offense, but a legit substitute for using the can. The places don't form because of grand ideological brotherhood, they form because it's the only place that the clientele hasn't been banned from yet for acting like intoxicated bullies or openly dealing drugs. In short, THEY AREN'T A SOURCE OF PRIDE.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No.

To give context, I work about a 2min drive from the local Indigenous school. So I'm probably in contact with more Indigenous Australians than most. I'm not worried about going into pubs near my work.

There is a pub that was run by a drug dealer between my house and work. Still went there but it's probably the most uncomfortable because of the potential of crime. It's now be remodelled into one of the grandest pubs in the area... still run by the same dude though

As to the specifics of the feeling of welcoming. The patrons and staff various pubs might not know who I am (I dont have a regular local.) But I also don't expect to be insulted. Due to race or otherwise

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No.

To give context, I work about a 2min drive from the local Indigenous school. So I'm probably in contact with more Indigenous Australians than most. I'm not worried about going into pubs near my work.

There is a pub that was run by a drug dealer between my house and work. Still went there but it's probably the most uncomfortable because of the potential of crime. It's now be remodelled into one of the grandest pubs in the area... still run by the same dude though

As to the specifics of the feeling of welcoming. The patrons and staff various pubs might not know who I am (I dont have a regular local.) But I also don't expect to be insulted. Due to race or otherwise
Well it makes sense given your experiences I guess the issue is mainly here going in somewhere and expecting more the place to change to accommodate you really.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well it makes sense given your experiences I guess the issue is mainly here going in somewhere and expecting more the place to change to accommodate you really.
Man, if you're first interaction with someone is you being an asshat, I would suggest the problem is with you and not them.

But maybe I'm just being weird in thinking that courtesy isn't any form of accommodation. Maybe I'm expecting too much from humanity

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Man, if you're first interaction with someone is you being an asshat, I would suggest the problem is with you and not them.

But maybe I'm just being weird in thinking that courtesy isn't any form of accommodation. Maybe I'm expecting too much from humanity
But my argument is the asshat move is going into a place you know you likely won't be welcome and then getting mad when you're not welcomed there.

To circle it back round to an example more suitable for Netflix. It would be like arguing to remove staircases in building and have them all be replaced by ramps people in wheelchairs can't use stairs rather than arguing for there to be a lift if there isn't already one for people who are in wheelchairs.

The argument is that Dave Chappelle's show if offensive and problematic because it contains content that offends people but said people chose to view said special and Netflix has put out and paid for content about and or by Trans individuals and diverse individuals. The Lift already exists so the stairs don't need to be removed in the name of equity.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
They didn't come there to shut them up they came there just to show support for Dave Chappelle and...
And no. Just, no. It was always, 100%, about shutting them up. If they wanted to show support for Chappelle, they could have been right across the street, holding their signs and shit (all two of them). Because when you stride right into the center of someone else's protest and and try to yell over them, you are not there to 'offer a counter-point', you are there to start shit. And it did not matter at all what they would have chosen to say, 'dogs are the best', 'everyone should just be nice' or whatever, because, again, if you are using it to shout over someone else it does not matter what you say, it's all about intent (which in this case was 'go fuck yourself'). I mean, for fuck's sake, you don't even like BLM, and I kind of doubt either of these two chuckle-fucks do either, it was just something for them to shout at the people they're antagonizing and then go 'bwuh, I guess they hate black people'. Like in the other thread, 'talk shit, get hit' or more recently known as 'fuck around, find out'.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Correct: the former is "not buying something" and the latter is a boycott

Or is the distinction solely "talking about why you aren't buying something, and outlining when you will buy the thing in the future"?
What don't you get? I don't care the 'why' of why people don't buy something. How things no longer get made is by not having enough people buying them for whatever reason.

Yes? That's what I mean? 'Trash' is subjective, subjective is defined by people, blah blah blah. Like, when I said 'Steam trash', I didn't mean just something people didn't like like The (new-)Sims, I meant 'broken, unplayable messes' and 'obvious scams' that somehow ended up through the system. Is EA removing their shit lootbox design scheme from BF2 after enormous outcry 'canceling' now too?

Ok, so frankly, I don't care. Be mad or upset or what the fuck ever you need to do if something you like to watch gets removed (though, like I said above, it was never going to fucking happen, ever), the second you try and treat someone else differently because of it you can get fucked. That is some weak ass pussy shit, fit only for little bitches. Plus, if all it takes for you to go 'well, guess I'm a fucking transphobe now' is your toys being taken away, doesn't that just prove everything that these protestors are saying correct?
Video games and TV/movies aren't the same in your argument. What on Netflix is broken and unplayable or an obvious scam? And EA removing lootboxes was because the vast majority of people didn't fucking like it. If you have data showing the vast majority of people don't like Dave Chappelle specials, then you got an argument.

The fact that a very minor number of people can get something potentially removed/cancelled is not healthy in any way. The fact that Netflix had to say that the special wouldn't be removed shows how influential such things are, Netflix shouldn't have even acknowledged that bullshit. Far far far far greater backlashes don't even get the time of day like when there's a huge backlash against a casting choice like Michael Keaton for Batman. Did Warner Bros. have to publicly comment and say we are not removing Michael Keaton from the movie? Yes, I knew the Dave Chappelle special wouldn't be removed but the fact that some people thought that it should be removed is the problem. What if this wasn't a Dave Chappelle special and some up and coming comedian's 1st crack at such an audience, would Netflix decide to play it safe and remove it since it wouldn't be something bringing in subscriptions? Then you get this and that removed and one day it is someone as big as Dave Chappelle having their content removed. People feel like they are entitled to not ever be offended and the concept of being offended is literally meaningless, much like how gamer entitlement is a bunch of bullshit. I'm not going to treat trans people differently if they got something removed, but there's quite a few that would, there's plenty of cases of people of certain groups being attacked for less. Again, just taking note of human behavior, how would removing the special end up being a net positive for trans people?

Or they did listen and thought his argument was bunk because he's not half as convincing as everybody who thinks he's a truthteller seems to believe. People can have different opinions from you without being ignorant.

I would'a settled for some jokes
And that's a reason to remove content? Cuz you didn't like it? There would be no content whatsoever if that happened because there's isn't any one thing that literally everyone likes.

What do we have here? One of the most commonly parroted phrases of the 'qanon' conspiracy theorists...all it's missing is a "lamestream media" and I would've gotten a whole bingo line!

Here's the thing, Dr dewormer, the opposite of not believing baseless conspiracies is not a sole keto diet of CNN, and plenty of people manage to "do their own research" including myself who don't believe the first shit a rando on YouTube or TikTok tells them just cause it goes against what they perceive the "mainstream narrative." Also, for a group of people who so often love to view and call others "sheep" "drones" and all the teen cringe perjoratives invoking mindless repetition, you sure do love to mindlessly repeat these tired old phrases without a passing hint of self-reflection.

Talking of online randos, let's try a language that does communicate to the "do your own research" mob mentality...
Yeah, I don't watch tiktoks. Can you disassociate whatever is the, I guess, political meme of a phrase to what the phrase actually means? I'm talking about doing actual research, reading actual studies, not watching quacks on the news (like CNN or FOX) or watching quacks on Youtube or tiktok or whatever. Even if you watch something by someone that seems like a they know what they're talking about (like Bret Weinstein), you dig into the actual data that he is getting his argument from and you can see for yourself that it's bullshit. When I say "do your own research" I literally mean do your own research not the qanon or far-right version of whatever they have turned that into.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
What don't you get? I don't care the 'why' of why people don't buy something. How things no longer get made is by not having enough people buying them for whatever reason.

And that's a reason to remove content? Cuz you didn't like it? There would be no content whatsoever if that happened because there's isn't any one thing that literally everyone likes.
So you're fine with boycotts unless they're boycotts.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm fine with boycotts that refuse to consume a product and also ask others not to consume it. I'm not fine with boycotts specifically trying to pull a product from the market.

For example, I don't like EA's games or business practices, so I don't buy them and I tell other people not to buy them. I don't try to get FIFA pulled from Gamestop just because I feel it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and is actively harmful to the medium of video games though because plenty of people do actually enjoy it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm fine with boycotts that refuse to consume a product and also ask others not to consume it. I'm not fine with boycotts specifically trying to pull a product from the market.

For example, I don't like EA's games or business practices, so I don't buy them and I tell other people not to buy them. I don't try to get FIFA pulled from Gamestop just because I feel it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and is actively harmful to the medium of video games though because plenty of people do actually enjoy it.
So people can boycott Netflix but can't boycott Netflix? Because you can't boycott Chapelle without boycotting Netflix, streaming services don't work like that. Netflix doesn't give you a discount.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So people can boycott Netflix but can't boycott Netflix? Because you can't boycott Chapelle without boycotting Netflix, streaming services don't work like that. Netflix doesn't give you a discount.
There's a difference between refusing to watch something, and actively trying to get it removed so that no one is able to watch it.

Reactions: Hawki

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There's a difference between refusing to watch something, and actively trying to get it removed so that no one is able to watch it.
Yes, that difference is called a "boycott"
Its called putting your money where your mouth is.
Precisely. Netflix doesn't give a shit if you "boycott" Chapelle's special or any other media as long as you keep paying them money. And if you say "I'm not buying Netflix as long as they fund shows like Chapelle's" that's apparently gone from boycott to cancel culture. Just not watching does nothing as Netflix doesn't pay per view nor pay royalties

The IATSE is striking over that last issue among other things, so this may change in the future, but at this point...

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And no. Just, no. It was always, 100%, about shutting them up. If they wanted to show support for Chappelle, they could have been right across the street, holding their signs and shit (all two of them). Because when you stride right into the center of someone else's protest and and try to yell over them, you are not there to 'offer a counter-point', you are there to start shit. And it did not matter at all what they would have chosen to say, 'dogs are the best', 'everyone should just be nice' or whatever, because, again, if you are using it to shout over someone else it does not matter what you say, it's all about intent (which in this case was 'go fuck yourself'). I mean, for fuck's sake, you don't even like BLM, and I kind of doubt either of these two chuckle-fucks do either, it was just something for them to shout at the people they're antagonizing and then go 'bwuh, I guess they hate black people'. Like in the other thread, 'talk shit, get hit' or more recently known as 'fuck around, find out'.
Because it's Vito and co and doing the equivalent of IRL shitposting is what he's known for. Dude previously went round trying to hand out Pepsi at where two protests were being held 1 by 1 side on an issue and the other by people on the other side of an issue.

If the argument was he was there to start shit they fell for that one hook line and sinker didn't they by helping start shit with him. As for BLM I think my stated position is in concept fine but in practice it's become a tangled mess corrupted by activist groups adding their stuff to it and a lot of personal interest stuff which if it had managed to focus on police and not go round setting things on fire in the name of the cause it could have done something but in the end it just helped fund 1 or maybe more peoples property empires. Oh and also BLM managed to kill probably as many Black people are the Police in the whole USA managed last year which kinda doesn't make it look very good.

But to get back to the larger point, I don't have to agree with everyone on everything to enjoy their content. I can also point out yeh they tried to yell BLM to piss off Vito not realising he supports BLM. They were seemingly trying to provoke Vito and his friend then got mad when it failed and they proved there were there for trouble.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I mean you're welcome to boycott whatever but realise if your argument boils down to "This is a Cook book but I like werewolves so this cookbook should be pulled from sale because it doesn't have enough werewolves in it" then people will laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. It would be like Boycotting HBO because they put out a show you didn't like or boycotting a store for selling a product you didn't like. If it were a whole production company you were avoiding and principal because you dislike their general output then that would be more fair (If I hear the name Mammoth productions connected with something I generally steer clear unless I hear it's good these days)

I mean you could just not watch the special because that shows Netflix how many people are actually interested in a thing so low interest would lead them to think it's not popular but then when you weren't the audience anyway you don't make much of a change lol.

I've been boycotting Netflix for years due to them not paying royalties for anything on their services even their own shows and only recently started doing so for a small number of shows produced in a think it's Switzerland or Sweden.

By all means all those who are so incensed by the special feel free to boycott the service. But then we kinda know that might end up exposing the fact this is less a mass protest and more a handful of crickets with megaphones. Hell worse than that boycotts by the kind of people offended by stuff and claiming to be virtuous tend to be worse than and less reliable than gamers boycotting things: I mean the Genshin Impact Boycott where people were boycotting it while still playing the game. The boycott of Cyberpunk 2077, Assassins Creed Valhalla was the best selling game in the AC series too and a few other titles most of which are either not out yet or were pretty big hits.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs
Status
Not open for further replies.