Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Undertale so much:

-At the very start you get a snowball from a snowman that can either be used as a healing item or can waste an inventory slot for the entire game after which the snowman will be very appreciative that you carried it for so long.

-Near the start of the game you are given instructions for a ridiculous colored tile puzzle which is aborted in a joke sequence. Later in the game, in another joke sequence you are put through a much longer version of the same puzzle with a 30 second time limit without being reminded of the instructions. You can actually complete the puzzle for alternate dialogue.

-Throughout the game you will see bits of cheese in various ridiculous unobtainable states with a nearby mousehole, and a nearby save point will inform you that knowing that the mouse may one day somehow get the cheese fills you with determination. Well after you get the true end you can walk back through the entire game and if you examine the cheeses again you find that, yes, the mouse did somehow get the cheese.

-In the very first area of the game you can buy a doughnut from a spiderweb, if you keep that for most of the game and use it during a boss fight with a spider near the end of the game the fight will end instantly and the spider will apologize for misjudging you.

I could go on and on with the little things the game pays attention to that cause minor effects. It's what sets the game apart from other RPGs.
Ok, quick question (playing through for the first time): does carrying the snowman piece count if you stow him in the item box for a bit?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't actually know, I always kept it in my open inventory because it felt like the right thing to do.
The Snowball in your inventory fills you with....
Samuel L Jackson said:
SAY DETERMINATION, ************! SAY DETERMINATION ONE MORE TIME!
Determination.

*Gunshot*
*Loud Thud*

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So playing Alien Isolation right now (just got into the elevator in the first actual Alien encounter, and I remember why I stopped playing because holy shit they made a scary monster), but I like how the security cameras are following me around. Already a bundle of nerves at every sound as it is without that quiet whirring going on everytime I move around and the unease of being watched adds to the terror.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So playing Alien Isolation right now (just got into the elevator in the first actual Alien encounter, and I remember why I stopped playing because holy shit they made a scary monster), but I like how the security cameras are following me around. Already a bundle of nerves at every sound as it is without that quiet whirring going on everytime I move around and the unease of being watched adds to the terror.
Oh man, I just noticed that your forum title is a line from one of my favorite Monty Python bits. I'm jealous, I wish I would have thought of using that one!

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Oh man, I just noticed that your forum title is a line from one of my favorite Monty Python bits. I'm jealous, I wish I would have thought of using that one!
Thanks. Since I switched my avatar to I-gor, I had to do something involving that "it's eye-gor" bit, but wanted something completely different. Happy coincidence that Feldman and Chapman worked on a show before Flying Circus, which makes it funnier (to me at least).

EDIT: While on the subject, the whole series got remastered a few years ago and is available on Blu Ray.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Undertale so much:

-At the very start you get a snowball from a snowman that can either be used as a healing item or can waste an inventory slot for the entire game after which the snowman will be very appreciative that you carried it for so long.

-Near the start of the game you are given instructions for a ridiculous colored tile puzzle which is aborted in a joke sequence. Later in the game, in another joke sequence you are put through a much longer version of the same puzzle with a 30 second time limit without being reminded of the instructions. You can actually complete the puzzle for alternate dialogue.

-Throughout the game you will see bits of cheese in various ridiculous unobtainable states with a nearby mousehole, and a nearby save point will inform you that knowing that the mouse may one day somehow get the cheese fills you with determination. Well after you get the true end you can walk back through the entire game and if you examine the cheeses again you find that, yes, the mouse did somehow get the cheese.

-In the very first area of the game you can buy a doughnut from a spiderweb, if you keep that for most of the game and use it during a boss fight with a spider near the end of the game the fight will end instantly and the spider will apologize for misjudging you.

I could go on and on with the little things the game pays attention to that cause minor effects. It's what sets the game apart from other RPGs.
Ok, so with as little spoilers as possible, what are some tips and things to look out for when playing? I'll probably end up restarting it again once I finish up Isolation and will be trying for a pacifist run (I love all the wacky characters and dialog too much to kill them anyway).

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Going from Kingdom Hearts 1 directly to 2, Roxas's basic attack animations during the prologue are the same as Sora's moves from the original game - once you get control of Sora, he has a much more flashy moveset that, while effectively the same mechanically, feels different because of how it looks. It really shows that despite losing most of his skills due to the time he spent asleep, he's a clear step up from where he started before, and from what Roxas could do as a total beginner.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ok, so with as little spoilers as possible, what are some tips and things to look out for when playing? I'll probably end up restarting it again once I finish up Isolation and will be trying for a pacifist run (I love all the wacky characters and dialog too much to kill them anyway).
If you're trying to do pacifist,

1.) Buy something from the spider bake sale. You don't even have to use it, just buy something.
2.) Use your cash to buy defensive and healing items since you'll never have to attack.
3.) Focus on dodging and learning how to Spare each enemy type.
4.) Try going back to earlier areas once you've unlocked the boat because new things will show up in the towns. Notably stuff with Undyne if you haven't killed anyone yet(She won't talk to you if you've killed anyone and defeated her, but if you haven't killed, you can befriend her by going to her house).

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
4.) Try going back to earlier areas once you've unlocked the boat because new things will show up in the towns. Notably stuff with Undyne if you haven't killed anyone yet(She won't talk to you if you've killed anyone and defeated her, but if you haven't killed, you can befriend her by going to her house).
Now this is the big one. I've never gotten far in this game (on PC I got stuck on that first major Papyrus fight and now I'm getting my buns buttered by the training dummy at the end of the sewers on the Switch), but so far I keep getting previous areas locked off, the main one being the ruins. Knowing that I later get to come back is sweet, especially since the snowy area is currently my favorite area, in no small part due to the enemies mostly being dog based (and in need of pets).

Anyway, OT, Alien: Isolation is great. I love the sound design of the game, from the tiny squeaks of your shoes as you sneak around, the haunting echoes of sirens, to the star of the show, the Alien itself. Don't know which is more terrifying, being just out of eyesight of the Alien and knowing it could spin around and kill you instantly, or not seeing/knowing where it is exactly, but can hear it move around just out of sight. Another thing I love is just how chunky and lived in the setting feels, from the dirty graffiti covered halls of the semi-derelict space station to the giant Gameboy-esque hacking tool and all the old, noisy computers.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
-The ending dialogue has quite a few variations depending on who you kill.
-For pacifist run, use your cell phone twice on almost every screen.
-Save the pie for late in the game. It's the best healing item. Doesn't really matter for pacifist, though, but for the opposite route, yes. Also instant noodles.
-It's kind of hard to think of tips, since it's not a difficult game generally.
-Check everything twice for extra dialogue.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How each Crysis gameplay differs from each other.

Crysis and Warhead has open-ended levels where you can go in long range or short range, and you can get through the game either way for the most part. Though long range is more beneficial. Crysis 2 has more emphasis on short range combat, but there plenty of sections you can get through by long range, or by just plain sneaking past by soldiers undetected. The more action focused sequel makes sense as Alcatraz is not a guerilla style soldier like Nomad, Psycho, and Prophet, but a Force Recon Marine. They're more about the action and head-on force, than sneaking by and stealth. Crysis 3 does this cool combination of 1 and 2, but obviously has more call backs and play styles from the first game. 3 is slightly shorter, but the 7 missions you get are huge, sprawling levels, you can once again, tackle however you want. Long range combat is once again, emphasized and the Predator Bow proves that. I don't know what Whitelight was going on about how long range does not work in Crysis 3. Ok, not as good in the original game, but it does not make the combat bad. There are plenty of moments where I was able to great shots from plenty of long distance, whether it be the Bow, assault rifles, sniper rifles, or Ceph weaponry.

Crysis 1 played on the hardest difficulty has all enemies speak Korean, and there are no subtitles. So the only way you know what they're gonna do or act is if you either know the language or memorized certain sound ques for how they attack or when they spot you. On all hardest modes for each game, enemies are more alert and more responsive. Crysis 3 has improved enemy AI all around, and enemies don't get stuck on environments as much compared to 2. You can still dupe them or take advantage with the Predator Bow once you figure out how that works. Listening to dialogue from CELL soldiers is hilarious and add some personalities to the grunts. You can listen or interrupt conversations and dialogue will change on the soldiers based on how you attacked them. Reminds me of the mobster flunkies in Max Payne or the Replica chatter in F.E.A.R.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is more of a trend example. During the 7th generation, I noticed a trend in FPS games where they took the slide mechanics from Vanquish. Ironic enough, Vanquish is a TPS cover shooter. What makes this unique is that Vanquish has dedicated slide button. The FPSs that did copy it, Crysis 2 & 3, and Bulletstorm have different input methods of sliding. In Crysis 2 & 3, you have to sprint first, then press the melee button. In Bulletstorm, you have sprint and double tap what is considered the crouch button. Or just double tap the crouch button when going underneath an obstacle. You can slide pretty far in Bulletstorm though, not as far or as long compared to Vanquish. Only a few shooters have done the slide-melee mechanic with the only other shooters I know of being F.E.A.R. F.E.A.R had the slide mechanic since the first game, but you could not slide that far like in Bulletstorm or even the Crysis sequels.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
-It's kind of hard to think of tips, since it's not a difficult game generally.
Thanks, and yeah I know, I'm just weird (I feel like Will Ferrell in Step Brothers asking all those dumb questions about how to adult). Last question: are there any 'joke' enemies that require a few real attacks or can I just disregard that screen entirely?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Thanks, and yeah I know, I'm just weird (I feel like Will Ferrell in Step Brothers asking all those dumb questions about how to adult). Last question: are there any 'joke' enemies that require a few real attacks or can I just disregard that screen entirely?
No, you can let your attack button atrophy and fall off.