Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Modern cops shows are blatant police propaganda and that started all the way back with Dragnet. Like, literally had the LAPD writing episodes for the show. This has caused the American public to trust cops way too much

Corollary:
01A17751-5E1E-42DC-9011-47D8F5528697.png

Reactions: Thaluikhain

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Both Dante and Father (Flask Humunculous) are effective villains from FMA 2003 and Manga/Brotherhood. Both of their respective goals are petty, and Father sacrificing humanity to become God, ain't much better than body hopping to retain "immortality". I sill prefer Brotherhood over 2003, but I feel a lot of anti-2003 fans get a bug up their ass and try to make Father more complicated and grandiose than he actually is. While shitting on Dante's goals, as if she is the worst written of the two.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What was the original tweet? It's been deleted.
It was about Squid Game. It was about how the show took about 10 years to make, and the real life versions that appeared on YouTube took way less time to make, and made more than double the money.

Though honestly, that still doesn't excuse a bankrupt system and why so many businesses relies on reboots and remakes constantly.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Joker, while featuring a stellar performance by Joaquin Phoenix and some insightful character writing, is held back by its own embarassment of being a comic book movie. While it's kind of a bumpy ride, the best series on "super crime" is still Gotham, because it embraces the fact that it's set in a casually surreal universe and doesn't try to make its characters and plot developments conform to real world logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Joker, while featuring a stellar performance by Joaquim Phoenix and some insightful character writing, is held back by its own embarassment of being a comic book movie. While it's kind of a bumpy ride, the best series on "super crime" is still Gotham, because it embraces the fact that it's set in a casually surreal universe and doesn't try to make its characters and plot developments to real world logic.
I have yet to watch, and will probably never, but from all I've heard this is the biggest "flaw" of the film. Take out the name "Joker" and the Wayne family and nothing would change.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Joker, while featuring a stellar performance by Joaquim Phoenix and some insightful character writing, is held back by its own embarassment of being a comic book movie. While it's kind of a bumpy ride, the best series on "super crime" is still Gotham, because it embraces the fact that it's set in a casually surreal universe and doesn't try to make its characters and plot developments to real world logic.
This movie always felt like a one and done for me. I consider it just good, but it is emotionally draining. I know my mom got it for me as a gift last year, and I only watched it once more, and after that never touched it again. I traded it in for something else at a used video store.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
What was the original tweet? It's been deleted.
It was something like "Squid Game took ten years to make, but Mr Beast's Real Life Squid Game only took 7 days to make and has more views, the future of media is creator made because they have more flexibility and creativity"

Clearly nonsense

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It was something like "Squid Game took ten years to make, but Mr Beast's Real Life Squid Game only took 7 days to make and has more views, the future of media is creator made because they have more flexibility and creativity"

Clearly nonsense
Ah... Mr Beast. I dunno who he is but everything I've seen about him makes me want to delete my YouTube account. How could he possibly get more views though? Doesn't Netflix track the time spent watching, not the number of times one clicks on an episode?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Clearly nonsense
Of course it only took 7 days. 99% of the hard yards were done by someone else for them to basically copy wholesale.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nice breakdown of most shonen (and plenty of story). Everybody loves the underdog but also want the self insert character to be super overpowered and have a bunch of gift that they receive without doing any real effort. So to combine these two aspects you need every character in the story to ignore all the amazing gift the main character has while spouting some generic BS about hardwork winning the day.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Nice breakdown of most shonen (and plenty of story). Everybody loves the underdog but also want the self insert character to be super overpowered and have a bunch of gift that they receive without doing any real effort. So to combine these two aspects you need every character in the story to ignore all the amazing gift the main character has while spouting some generic BS about hardwork winning the day.
I think this is a big reason why animes like Demon Slayer and Boku No Hero Academia became really popular. They're both shonen with the usual "I am the Special" set up, but buck the trend because the protagonists still need to work hard as fuck and get the shit beaten out of them constantly. Although I will say Boku No Hero has definitely started sliding towards the stereotypical shonen route as of late.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think this is a big reason why animes like Demon Slayer and Boku No Hero Academia became really popular. They're both shonen with the usual "I am the Special" set up, but buck the trend because the protagonists still need to work hard as fuck and get the shit beaten out of them constantly. Although I will say Boku No Hero has definitely started sliding towards the stereotypical shonen route as of late.
I dunno about Boku, he ultimatly get super power of the #2 quite trivially (essentially just has to hit the gym for a few weeks). imo it would work much better if he never got super power and instead became a super hero using some other means than just being handed out a power (or alternativly if he had a really weak/lame power and managed to become a super hero regardless of that handicap).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I dunno about Boku, he ultimatly get super power of the #2 quite trivially (essentially just has to hit the gym for a few weeks). imo it would work much better if he never got super power and instead became a super hero using some other means than just being handed out a power (or alternativly if he had a really weak/lame power and managed to become a super hero regardless of that handicap).
The latter is basically what they did the in BNHA spinoff/prequel.

I thought early on that they did a pretty good job of showing how limited Deku was with his powers and was glad that they took a slow approach to his power ups. That said, about midway through the manga, there's a huge jump in power levels that doesn't really feel earned. Oh well. BNHA really just isn't what it used to be, and it seems the author is steaming towards an early conclusion.

I still haven't started Season 5 yet. Want to get on that, but wanna watch other stuff.
I think season 5 is supposed to cover the infamous villain arc. I kinda fell off the anime after season 3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh well. BNHA really just isn't what it used to be, and it seems the author is steaming towards an early conclusion.
I rather an early conclusion than a stretched story that goes nowhere and gets cancelled, the creator dies (Trinity Blood, Berzerk, and High School of the Dead), or ends like a bad fan fiction. The third option means you Naruto and Shaman King (manga version). Or in another worse direction where manga never fucking ends, because the creator just keeps going with ideas that have long worn out their welcome. Seriously, One Piece should not even be this long. Glad I dropped the series in 2008. I pray the creator of OP finds ending soon before something happens to him and leads back options 1 and 2.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Now admittedly I dropped out of Arrow by about episode five or six since I just couldn't groove the wavelength they had. But I was reading about that whole Crises on Infinite Earths crossover they did and I read about happens with Green Arrow and I find myself somewhat confounded: I know Green Arrow is a moral man, a good man. But the level of plot relevance and reverential treatment he gets in the Arrowverse show makes him come across as if doing Superman's job.

I mean they put the legwork in over what, eight seasons to develop Oliver but it just seems weird to me.