Country
United States of America
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Microsoft buying Activision is pretty gigantic news. If you have exclusive rights to COD then you have a titanic competitive edge. To my chagrin this probably means I cannot play Overwatch 2 anymore since I have no Xbox and don't trust PC gaming.

Now can they please fire Bobby?

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Activision is one of those studios with little to no iPs I care about. The major exception would be Crash and Spyro, mostly Spyro though.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I honestly think the only reason this deal was accepted is the bad PR Activision's getting. They were probably more accepting of Microsoft's deal if it helps it's PR by having a new boss.

I honestly expect Microsoft to do a huge restructuring of Activision Blizzard, for that reason alone.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
^^Four posts later(?!), lol this is another parody/satire site like harddrive. Does anyone actually think greedy Bobby K would capitulate to anyone, including Microsoft?

*edit*. Wait…you gotta be fucking kidding. Well, then again it is Microsoft (If you can’t beat ‘em, buy ‘em!). I thought this line of the press release was kinda funny,

As we pursue that mission, it is incredibly exciting to announce that Microsoft has agreed to acquire Activision Blizzard.

Really, Microsoft? You “agreed to”? Pretty sure you were the pursuer here, as usual. With all the third parties you’re scarfing up eventually Sony will be the new Nintendo.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
^^Four posts later(?!), lol this is another parody/satire site like harddrive. Does anyone actually think greedy Bobby K would capitulate to anyone, including Microsoft?

It's not official yet, but it looks like it is going to happen sooner or later.

I'm a bit torn on this TBH. On one hand, a new corporate management could clean up the culture of the company. However Microsoft has been shown to buy shit and do absolutely nothing with it. So it's not exactly an exciting idea either way you look at it.

Speaking of Blizzard though, did you know that if you don't play Diablo 2 for 30 days the game locks you out and you can't play it anymore?

That's right if you stop playing for a month and try to come back to the single player game you bought, get fucked.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Microsoft buying Activision is pretty gigantic news. If you have exclusive rights to COD then you have a titanic competitive edge. To my chagrin this probably means I cannot play Overwatch 2 anymore since I have no Xbox and don't trust PC gaming.

Now can they please fire Bobby?
Actually this might be the best thing that finally happens out of all of this. Considering they just hired a law firm to fine-tune their corporate culture after merely the Bill Gates alleged incident(s) of misconduct, they should be having a field day with him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of Blizzard though, did you know that if you don't play Diablo 2 for 30 days the game locks you out and you can't play it anymore?
I'm so glad I didn't buy it. You're not allowed to play the game you bought and paid for with your own money (most likely)? Walking to the Future everyone. This is why I always buy game where you don't have to be online, nor require some stupid online pass. Get fucked Blizz-Activision! Get fucked! It's people's product they bought! They can do whatever the hell they want with it!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm so glad I didn't buy it. You're not allowed to play the game you bought and paid for with your own money (most likely)? Walking to the Future everyone. This is why I always buy game where you don't have to be online, nor require some stupid online pass. Get fucked Blizz-Activision! Get fucked! It's people's product they bought! They can do whatever the hell they want with it!
The game locks you out of offline play too if you've not booted it for 30 days. It must be doing some sort of server check even if you are playing single player.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
The game locks you out of offline play too if you've not booted it for 30 days. It must be doing some sort of server check even if you are playing single player.
Here’s a smart idea. Just leave any online component out of a single player game and leave it for multiplayer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I said it before and I will say it once again: Microsoft can buy all these studios all they want, but if they're not going to do anything with them, have them just sit there, or make something that's arguably worse, then they might as well not even had bothered.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I said it before and I will say it once again: Microsoft can buy all these studios all they want, but if they're not going to do anything with them, have them just sit there, or make something that's arguably worse, then they might as well not even had bothered.
That sentiment is clear, but what’s troubling is they are creating a sizable rift/possible vacuum in the industry, where dollars that once went to a company that still has a fairly respectable stance on ethics regarding monetization (Sony) will now be going to one that kinda doesn’t (Microsoft). This will only exacerbate the issue industry-wide into being the “required norm” to “succeed”. Same thing happened with online fees (XBL was first to implement), and it will continue down the line with MTX’s and NFT’s.

At that point I’ll just end up buying and/or replaying older stuff, since Steam keeps making it easy enough to keep my library, well, stuffed.