A Group of 270 Scientists, Doctors, etc. Submit Open Letter to Spotify Regarding Joe Rogan (JRE)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Frankly if i'm honest, I don't believe that asymptomatic shit. You can get the virus, not get even the slightest sniffle, AND spread that shit to other people without knowing it. That would make this virus absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to combat.
Not impossible. It's possible but only if everyone cooperates. But some people think cooperating is for suckers, so, we all are losing against the virus (including those people, including yourself). So the only choice we have now is to reduce causalities and hospitalizations as much possible, while we wait the virus to mutate into a much more benign variant.
Besides if quarantine says to lock up for five days with no symptoms, how would you know when to stop quarantine if you never have symptoms? How could you ever know where you were on the infection cycle?
By the symptomatic people you were in contact with. Everyone symptomatic with Covid was an asymptomatic spreader the day before the symptoms first appeared. Checking when you entered in contact with that person, you can estimate how long your body will be a silent virus factory.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not impossible. It's possible but only if everyone cooperates. But some people think cooperating is for suckers, so, we all are losing against the virus (including those people, including yourself). So the only choice we have now is to reduce causalities and hospitalizations as much possible, while we wait the virus to mutate into a much more benign variant.
The only way it's possible would be to have everyone on earth assume they have covid at all times until prove otherwise. How would you do that?

By the symptomatic people you were in contact with.
But what if you got infected by another asymptomatic person. Hell they said that you were infectious up to 40 hours or some shit BEFORE symptoms. How the fuck can you prepare for that besides my previous statement.
Checking when you entered in contact with that person, you can estimate how long your body will be a silent virus factory.
Expect when infected by a random guy at the supermarket who would be impossible to track. Or someone in a parking lot, or someone at a restaurant. How would you track it? And how long would it take to be tracked? Could reliable tracking be done in a reasonable timeframe? I doubt it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The only way it's possible would be to have everyone on earth assume they have covid at all times until prove otherwise. How would you do that?
We already have been doing it for 2 years. Or did you miss the mask mandates? Even if they aren't 100% effective, they AREN'T 0% EFFECTIVE EITHER. If it's impossible to defeat, you minimize the damage as much as possible.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
But it is strictly because of a failure of our governments to get their shit straight for whatever reason. There are lots of conspiracies as to why but who can really say whether any of that shit is real?

This virus didn't get this bad because of your average joe not getting vaxxed or not masking or not tight enough lockdowns.
No. It did.
When faced with modicum, necessary restrictions of their freedom "Average Joes" threw a fit. And because there's enough of them, goverments decided to game and introduce half-assed measures, in fear of losing popular(and bussiness) support.

I can blame the "Average Joe", and i will.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No. It did.
When faced with modicum, necessary restrictions of their freedom "Average Joes" threw a fit. And because there's enough of them, goverments decided to game and introduce half-assed measures, in fear of losing popular(and bussiness) support.

What about the failure of totalarian governments to contain it? You make a valid argument in the U.S. but in other places where failure to obey is strictly punished why did the virus not face defeat there?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
No. It did.

"Average Joe"? More like "Fringe Joe". The majority of the people take the precautions seriously, but the fringes from all levels vehemently oppose (from fringe truck drivers to fringe celebrities and millionaires).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwak

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No. It did.

The fear of losing business support was a big one as well, and has little to do with the Average Joe. Not to say that the Average Joe couldn't cause problems, but in at least some places it wasn't predominately them.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
What about the failure of totalarian governments to contain it? You make a valid argument in the U.S. but in other places where failure to obey is strictly punished why did the virus not face defeat there?
They did? Vietnam did well. So did Cuba. Many so called "Banana Republics" done better.
China's numbers are skewy, but i doubt they could do worse than the west.
And you don't have to limit yourself to "totalarians". South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, all have done significantly better than Europe and the USA.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Pretty sure they are fucking with people and beating people who are unvaccinated right now. Also spiders.
Because the "Average Joe" bs started taking the root there.

Whatever, the argument still stands, just chalk down AU as one of your totalitarian countries.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Because the "Average Joe" bs started taking the root there.

Whatever, the argument still stands, just chalk down AU as one of your totalitarian countries.
Meh. These days the only criteria for a country to be totalitarian in the eyes of conservatives is legalizing gay marriage and banning lynching.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Excuse me. I was told very recently that math errors were actually deliberate and unforgivable lies. You're supposed to be berating people right now!
Critical decided to only worry about those that have died instead of apply that same percentage to the whole child population to gain a prediction. Which, to me very much explains why they dont take it seriously. Also, I didn't know I would have to explain that, during a segment talking about CHIDLRN only in the US, I would also have to explain that the population I chose was the total population of children in the US. I thought people might know there was around 100million children in America. Clearly, this was a bad assumption

EDIT: So Critical using that percentage against the total deaths of covid doesn't make sense. The percentage is for the number of children who die from the total who contract COVID. What they are doing is giving us a random number that doesnt mean anything. It's why I'm being so flippant here

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Critical decided to only worry about those that have died instead of apply that same percentage to the whole child population to gain a prediction. Which, to me very much explains why they dont take it seriously. Also, I didn't know I would have to explain that, during a segment talking about CHIDLRN only in the US, I would also have to explain that the population I chose was the total population of children in the US. I thought people might know there was around 100million children in America. Clearly, this was a bad assumption

EDIT: So Critical using that percentage against the total deaths of covid doesn't make sense. The percentage is for the number of children who die from the total who contract COVID. What they are doing is giving us a random number that doesnt mean anything. It's why I'm being so flippant here
I don't know where your ".2%" actually came from, but Critical's use of that number made way more sense than yours. 0.2% of minors who get covid aren't dying. The number is approximately 1/100th of that, even before the current downward trends in case severity. 200,000 dead children in America alone is not an actual number. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2918-0

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I will also point out that the most used Covid data for general statistics is likely also a lie anyway.
These are I think official government statistics. The caveat is you have to know what the criteria are for recording a covid death in different countries.

Belgium, for instance, is so broad it's potentially heavily overestimating - if it used the same criteria as most other Western countries, it's estimated it could be about half that. Russia is defining them as declared by autopsy only, so it's figures are exceptionally low: perhaps half what they would be by normal Western criteria. Although Russia semi-admits that: I think they've also revealed that excess deaths since covid are vastly higher (did I read somewhere one million people?)

China's figures are a big, fat, load of crap... although almost certainly the reality is still far better than North America and Europe.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't know where your ".2%" actually came from, but Critical's use of that number made way more sense than yours. 0.2% of minors who get covid aren't dying. The number is approximately 1/100th of that, even before the current downward trends in case severity. 200,000 dead children in America alone is not an actual number. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2918-0
So... you think its going to be 2,000 if it goes through every kid?

Edit: as a round number, as the 100 million kids is a round number

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So... you think its going to be 2,000 if it goes through every kid?

Edit: as a round number, as the 100 million kids is a round number
Depending on the time scale. As an endemic virus, that number will almost certainly be passed in a couple decades, but if in the short term every child in the US was exposed, that is the statistical expectation, yes.

Edit: Or significantly less at this point, as that statistic is before vaccines got involved.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Depending on the time scale. As an endemic virus, that number will almost certainly be passed in a couple decades, but if in the short term every child in the US was exposed, that is the statistical expectation, yes.

Edit: Or significantly less at this point, as that statistic is before vaccines got involved.
Well, see here's my problem with that
Provisional COVID-19 Deaths by Sex and Age | Data | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (cdc.gov)

So far its 770 person 17 and under have died already. I believe that the US has had around 2 million under 17 contract the virus. I dont think the math checks out at (without vaccines) 2K, if every child got it (assuming its quicker than 5 years, because it gets to other problems I cant be f'd to calculate). For the current number to be true, we'd have to be almost half way through the population. I think your out by order of magnitude, similarly, I'm out an order magnitude. (Back of the envelope calculations here) the estimated total might be 20K+

Ive rechecked what you said and what I said, and I dont think it was with our decimals.

Reactions: CM156