The Batman trailer is here

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Oversimplification of what I said (which also ignores the "that" in my statement), but that's all your snark ever has. Don't know why I ever reveal your hidden posts.
You still want it to be like something you didn't like *that* much. Because you have this unpleaseable glass half-empty outlook that makes you bemoan and wish everything was more like something else (which you don't even like *that* much, because you have to qualify everything with a negative), and are always rating things for what they aren't instead of what they are.

As for why you keep revealing my posts, I guess you're interested in what I have to say. Or you wouldn't go through the pointless theater of telling someone you're trying to ignore them.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
And even if it does occasionally tear, so what? The only thing that matters is what's captured by the camera and printed.
That's easy for you to say when you're not the one who has to wear the costumes and is in danger of accidentally flashing the entire set.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
That's easy for you to say when you're not the one who has to wear the costumes and is in danger of accidentally flashing the entire set.
They're actors. It comes with the territory. Never said they couldn't wear anything underneath. Flashing the set is a bad reason to make them look ordinary. I know skintight outfits would require the actors to get in better shape than they normally do. I'm okay with that. I disliked this look from the moment I saw the photos, but I didn't realize how much it would take away from the character until I watched the movie.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
In some ways, this felt the least Batman of all the movies I watched. Batman in pants was just one part of that.

The character's theme song is a depressive, droning song by Nirvana. Not since Prince in 1989 have I seen Batman so twisted up by pop music, although at least there the songs don't play over some of the most dramatic moments. Found it distracting.

Wayne is too mopey and brooding to be Wayne the pretending playboy. Batman isn't much better. He's too emo to be truly imposing. There's no duality in his character; not really.

The score didn't elevate the character like Danny Elfman, Shirley Walker or even Hans Zimmer's, didn't make those moments that should have been heroic and fun feel very heroic or fun. Nor all that mysterious. Most of it lacked melody. Batman: Year One had the same problem of bland, unexciting music, although that at least played better into its whole noir tone and didn't end with
another disaster caused by another idealist wanting to see Gotham burn.
Mute that movie The Mask of Zorro and see how much those fights still feel like Zorro.

Catwoman isn't fun and
doesn't seem like much of a thief in this. Her daddy issues took away from the character for me.

The Riddler isn't fun either.
They turned him into a screaming loony off his medication, who probably couldn't get it together for a scheme like this anyway.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
That Joker tease sequel bait was shit. Like we needed the movie to end like that after how the last reboot (Batman Begins) ended, not to mention Year One.
Why do they keep repeating themselves? Makes this song feel truer.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
As for why you keep revealing my posts, I guess you're interested in what I have to say. Or you wouldn't go through the pointless theater of telling someone you're trying to ignore them.
I reveal them when I'm sure they are directed at me, to see what insult or mocking, negative remark you left for me, for all to see. That's all. Because for like six years, those are the ONLY replies I've gotten from you. Could reply to any of my more positive takes, but no, it's always, ALWAYS to leave some bitter comment. You're honestly the only one across all the forums I frequent that I've blocked. Too bad it isn't both ways. Stop talking to me and about me.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
"C'mon, what happened to her?"

Not gritty enough, Kermit.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
They're actors. It comes with the territory. Never said they couldn't wear anything underneath. Flashing the set is a bad reason to make them look ordinary. I know skintight outfits would require the actors to get in better shape than they normally do. I'm okay with that. I disliked this look from the moment I saw the photos, but I didn't realize how much it would take away from the character until I watched the movie.
Better shape than they normally do? Mother fucker do you listen to yourself talk? Actors and actresses - especially actresses - are under constant scrutiny abut their appearance. And it’s usually still not enough: Disney/Marvel used photoshop to make Scarlett Johansson slimmer on the posters for Winter Soldier. Scarlett Johansson. A woman of such stunning physical pedigree so as to inspire legions of people to learn to breath out of their arse. Hugh Jackman was told by his doctor no more Wolverine body or he’d do permanent damage to himself. They’re people and neither a studio or an audience get to make unreasonable demands of their dignity.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Long story short, I saw it last night and have tickets for tomorrow. I'm trying to come up with a way to bag it tomorrow but going is the right thing to do.

The movie is a slog. I gave it a 3/5 rating as did everyone I was with. Might be too generous. Bruce Wayne in this is as bad as you might think. It does follow the "Thomas Wayne was a bad guy" arc. Y'know, I'm not sure about whether the bad guy knows who Batman is or not. If he does... well, that should be the end of Batman. Way too much talking. We do get to see Batman do detective stuff, which is nice. But like the worst mysteries, too much is revealed by having the villain monologue. Like Black Widow, Batman himself should have been very very smashed and killed many times but he gets up, brushes himself off and goes back to acting like Rocky in 3 as if Rocky two and his damaged eye thing never happened. And best to suspend a lot of disbelief. No killing rule? I'd think 100s around Batman would be dead from the stuff that goes on. But, he does look pretty cool in the suit. Zoe Kravitz's Catwoman is not going to make anyone forget Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer, or Ann Hathaway anytime soon. I did like a surveilance thing she does with Batman. The movie is nearly 3 hours long. It should have and could have been an hour shorter. I wonder why they didn't edit it better. Murder and other serious violent crimes, even against cops, appears to only be sporadically illegal. Finally, there were many times when its serious tone felt so over board I nearly laughed out loud.

Some compare it to the Dark Knight.

Opening Scene DK: brilliant bank robbery followed by Batman stopping drug deal in a garage.
Opening Scene TB: Ridder kills a guy in his home followed by Batman beating up some muggers in a train station. Both scenes very pedestrian.

Car Chase Scene DK: Joker and his men use a bazooka to try to blow up Dent in an armored vehicle. We get the Batmobile transform into the Batcycle. We get that neat trick with Batman tripping up an 18 wheeler till it flips over.
Car Chase Scene TB Batman chases Penguin driving the wrong way on the highway. There's a giant explosion when a gas truck goes up, which totally would have killed maybe 50 people. Batman does not hesitate in his chase of the Penguin and continues to drive through the flames. After that, Penguin should have died but people are near unkillable in this movie.

Joker in DK vs Riddler in TB interrogations by Batman at police station. Don't even get me started.

Near finale DK: Brilliant hostages are actually bad guys and vice versa and Batman has to stop police from killing hostages and stop bad guys too, followed by 1 on 1 with Joker.
Near finale TB: Batman shows up to beat up a bunch of gun toting bad guys.

Honestly, they can do so much better than this. I hope they do not make a sequel. There were things to recommend this movie. They really try and the quality of the movie is up there on the screen. But WB: do better.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I reveal them when I'm sure they are directed at me, to see what insult or mocking, negative remark you left for me, for all to see. That's all. Because for like six years, those are the ONLY replies I've gotten from you. Could reply to any of my more positive takes, but no, it's always, ALWAYS to leave some bitter comment. You're honestly the only one across all the forums I frequent that I've blocked. Too bad it isn't both ways. Stop talking to me and about me.
I am gonna stop you there and say you are full of crap on this big time. You see? This is what happyninja42 was arguing with you about on Gal Gaddot being Wonder Woman (don't care to hear you opinion on that again) a few years ago. I still stand by and agree with him. You're being nothing more than another entitled fan that is never happy, and with the my way or the high way attitude. You are nothing special in this regard, so quit acting like your words carry gold. You don't like superhero movies, fair enough. But you, the audience, nor the studios don't ever get to make decisions like that for the actors and actresses. These are still people at the end of the day. Oh, if you are so sick of this shit, and dislike a majority of superhero movies not meeting your overly high expectations, then do everyone a favor and stop watching them or bother with him. Cause all I am seeing is a man who's expecting nothing but a life time of "disappointments" with your attitude. I don't love nor praise every superhero movie either, but I am not gonna wangst and cry about it my entire life.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Better shape than they normally do? Mother fucker do you listen to yourself talk? Actors and actresses - especially actresses - are under constant scrutiny abut their appearance. And it’s usually still not enough: Disney/Marvel used photoshop to make Scarlett Johansson slimmer on the posters for Winter Soldier. Scarlett Johansson. A woman of such stunning physical pedigree so as to inspire legions of people to learn to breath out of their arse. Hugh Jackman was told by his doctor no more Wolverine body or he’d do permanent damage to himself. They’re people and neither a studio or an audience get to make unreasonable demands of their dignity.
That's the profession they chose, one where they are constantly judged. I have no sympathy for these men and women when they get farther ahead with their looks than most of us ever will. If they don't wanna get fit for the part, there are plenty of other non-warrior roles they can take. If there really is nothing else, they can take a break with the millions of dollars they already have. There are healthy ways to muscle up and slim down. Christian Bale in American Psycho may be the extreme, but there are actors who want to do it, as he proved.

Since you're speaking about Johansson, Motoko Kusanagi should have gone to someone else, who did want to commit physically. Those artificial muscles work like real ones, so it would make sense for them to be more pronounced, and she doesn't need to eat.

BrawlMan, I didn't care about most of those superheroes in the first place. I can count maybe five intellectual properties. Was commenting on Wonder Woman as a non-fan.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's the profession they chose, one where they are constantly judged. I have no sympathy for these men and women when they get farther ahead with their looks than most of us ever will. If they don't wanna get fit for the part, there are plenty of other non-warrior roles they can take.
Someone sounds envious. Choice or not, these are still people like anyone else. I am not saying they should be coddled, but boundaries must be acted and respected on both side. People get tired or need rest and a break at some point. I only give sympathy when necessary, yet I know not be cold hearted. To be understanding, non-entitled, and to have reasonable expectations is how the standards should be for fans and audiences. It's a two way street of course, and vice versa.

BrawlMan, I didn't care about most of those superheroes in the first place. I can count maybe five intellectual properties. Was commenting on Wonder Woman as a non-fan.
Like I said before, you might as well not even bother with any of them, if that's the case, or focus on things you do like. Because you keep acting disappointed or upset whenever an IP is not up to your absurd standard. Nothing is immune to criticism, but as shown, you are way too hard please and complain about nearly anything not being "1000% Accurate!", or "Does not look enough like X character, because of dumb reason 1, 895, 423!". Even as a non-fan of WW, your criticism reeked of the same problem.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
That's the profession they chose, one where they are constantly judged. I have no sympathy for these men and women when they get farther ahead with their looks than most of us ever will. If they don't wanna get fit for the part, there are plenty of other non-warrior roles they can take. If there really is nothing else, they can take a break with the millions of dollars they already have. There are healthy ways to muscle up and slim down. Christian Bale in American Psycho may be the extreme, but there are actors who want to do it, as he proved.

Since you're speaking about Johansson, Motoko Kusanagi should have gone to someone else, who did want to commit physically. Those artificial muscles work like real ones, so it would make sense for them to be more pronounced, and she doesn't need to eat.

Whenever I feel overly self-conscious about sounding too bitter and miserable for all those unlucky sods still illogically hanging around me, merely reading your opinions on here really helps squash those insecurities for a while, much gratitude!

Reactions: Ezekiel

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Long story short, I saw it last night and have tickets for tomorrow. I'm trying to come up with a way to bag it tomorrow but going is the right thing to do.

The movie is a slog. I gave it a 3/5 rating as did everyone I was with. Might be too generous. Bruce Wayne in this is as bad as you might think. It does follow the "Thomas Wayne was a bad guy" arc. Y'know, I'm not sure about whether the bad guy knows who Batman is or not. If he does... well, that should be the end of Batman. Way too much talking. We do get to see Batman do detective stuff, which is nice. But like the worst mysteries, too much is revealed by having the villain monologue. Like Black Widow, Batman himself should have been very very smashed and killed many times but he gets up, brushes himself off and goes back to acting like Rocky in 3 as if Rocky two and his damaged eye thing never happened. And best to suspend a lot of disbelief. No killing rule? I'd think 100s around Batman would be dead from the stuff that goes on. But, he does look pretty cool in the suit. Zoe Kravitz's Catwoman is not going to make anyone forget Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer, or Ann Hathaway anytime soon. I did like a surveilance thing she does with Batman. The movie is nearly 3 hours long. It should have and could have been an hour shorter. I wonder why they didn't edit it better. Murder and other serious violent crimes, even against cops, appears to only be sporadically illegal. Finally, there were many times when its serious tone felt so over board I nearly laughed out loud.

Some compare it to the Dark Knight.

Opening Scene DK: brilliant bank robbery followed by Batman stopping drug deal in a garage.
Opening Scene TB: Ridder kills a guy in his home followed by Batman beating up some muggers in a train station. Both scenes very pedestrian.

Car Chase Scene DK: Joker and his men use a bazooka to try to blow up Dent in an armored vehicle. We get the Batmobile transform into the Batcycle. We get that neat trick with Batman tripping up an 18 wheeler till it flips over.
Car Chase Scene TB Batman chases Penguin driving the wrong way on the highway. There's a giant explosion when a gas truck goes up, which totally would have killed maybe 50 people. Batman does not hesitate in his chase of the Penguin and continues to drive through the flames. After that, Penguin should have died but people are near unkillable in this movie.

Joker in DK vs Riddler in TB interrogations by Batman at police station. Don't even get me started.

Near finale DK: Brilliant hostages are actually bad guys and vice versa and Batman has to stop police from killing hostages and stop bad guys too, followed by 1 on 1 with Joker.
Near finale TB: Batman shows up to beat up a bunch of gun toting bad guys.

Honestly, they can do so much better than this. I hope they do not make a sequel. There were things to recommend this movie. They really try and the quality of the movie is up there on the screen. But WB: do better.
The movie had quite a few inconsistencies like it trying to be all grounded in reality but then having to suspend your disbelief quite often. If it was more comic-book-y, you really wouldn't have some of these issues. I was thinking Alfred's scene in the hospital might be his last words. It also seemed to be Batman was constantly being leveled down throughout the movie and becoming less and less competent. He couldn't even beat up a bunch of like militia wannabes or whatever at the end and the most heroic thing he does stop people from being electrocuted. The whole ending sequence itself was just so poor IMO. Why does the Riddler and his followers want to kill the new major (or maybe generally any politician if they weren't stopped)? The Riddler had very specific targets that were very corrupt the whole movie and now he just wants to kill like anybody I guess so everything is black and white and the audience feels the Riddler is a clear villain vs him kinda being a possible a good guy / anti-hero as his means are bad but the ends were good. Why does the Riddler want to get caught in the 1st place, wouldn't him not getting caught put fear in current/future politicians so they might avoid becoming corrupt if you have the Riddler still at large?

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I reveal them when I'm sure they are directed at me, to see what insult or mocking, negative remark you left for me, for all to see.
Well... yeah, it's a public forum. Somebody writes something here then that's "for all to see". It's not a dastardly ruse. Does it feel like one to you?

Because for like six years, those are the ONLY replies I've gotten from you.
What I remember is you insulted me (and others) in v1 and got banned for it. You've been banned from a bunch of places. Don't make me your Moriarty.

Could reply to any of my more positive takes,
I remember admiring all those Max Payne 3 no scope vids you used to wallpaper us with.

You're honestly the only one across all the forums I frequent that I've blocked.
I think you're missing the point if you have to tell me that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yeah, it's public. I don't endlessly hound anyone on any public forum I frequent, for years. Not even BCell. Even him I can occasionally kid around with and agree with, knowing he's mostly full of shit. That's the difference. The only thing you see me as is a target. That's weird. That's hostile. Actually, I know some people like that on other forums. Guess it bothers me more here because there is almost no one left.

I remember getting in fights with you and Phoenixmgs. Who is "others"? The flags that led to my ban weren't all from fights. That old system was bad. The flags didn't roll off quickly enough. It took six months for one, if I remember right. Lots of people got banned, more than I've observed on any other forum. It got so bad that there was that whole long thread about the moderation. Defend it if you want, but it's one of the reasons this place has on average eight members online at once. I have not been banned from a bunch of places. Don't know why you're bringing it up anyway when I haven't received any bans or, as far as I can tell, warnings since my return. Well, that's not true, I do know why you are doing it. Because it's you.
Because you have this unpleaseable glass half-empty outlook that makes you bemoan and wish everything was more like something else (which you don't even like *that* much, because you have to qualify everything with a negative), and are always rating things for what they aren't instead of what they are.
I've said plenty about The Batman both pertaining to itself and to the material it is based on. It's okay. Should have been better. Could have been if it wasn't so embarrassed to be a comic book movie. It's stuck in a pretty awkward place between realism and escapism, which hurts it regardless of the source material but also makes those unfavorable comparisons inevitable. If I didn't know Batman, I'd still have bad things to say about this movie.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I found it kind of interesting that they solved the Gotham problem by simply "not" solving it. In fact they went whole hog beyond what Burton and Shoemacher did. The new Gotham is a Silent Hill inspired gothic horror nightmare. I loved the architecture and look. While Burton and Shoemacher did a kind of "Metropolis" inspired look the new one looks literally out of a horror story. Everything is cover in soot, street lights blink on and off.

The first couple nolan films worked because whenever they do show Batman its largely at night so you still get that weighty nighttime feel, but in Dark Knight Rises it takes place entirely in the day and Gotham just looks like Manhattan or Chicago. Its boring to look at and by the end of the movie you start to feel like you're not watching Batman you're watching a die hard sequel.

However, The Batmans look helps it remain tonally consistent throughout even towards the end they manage to make the flooding foreboding with people like Rats fleeing a sinking ship and the foreboding red emergency lights.

I think thats why the ending partially disappointing me, that they ended on a kind of Nolan tone that he needs to be a symbol of hope. I hope whatever they do they keep going with the horror theme. I really think you don't need to explain what Gotham or Batman is like during the day. No one wants to read or see that shit. Thats what Superman is for.

I hope they dig into Tales from the Crypt or other EC comics for inspiration on the sequel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dark Knight Rises it takes place entirely in the day and Gotham just looks like Manhattan or Chicago. Its boring to look at and by the end of the movie you start to feel like you're not watching Batman you're watching a die hard sequel.
As much as I like Rises, Gotham does look the most boring there. The same thing can be said for The Dark Knight. Though it was intentional on Nolan's part in the third movie to show that Gotham will have a brighter tomorrow. Thematically, it works, but Nolan got lazy with the look of the city.

I think thats why the ending partially disappointing me, that they ended on a kind of Nolan tone that he needs to be a symbol of hope.
It makes sense and I will defend that moment, because it leads to bittersweet yet heartwarming ending. When Batman is guiding the citizens out of the rubble with the flare. Awesome moment and shot. It shows that Batman has to be more than fear and "I AM VENGEANCE!", because that is not enough. Worst of all, it inspired the wrong type of people to do more damage or cause unnecessary harm. This is a Bruce that is still shaky and struggling, but will do and be better. I love the message there.
I hope whatever they do they keep going with the horror theme. I really think you don't need to explain what Gotham or Batman is like during the day.
I am sure they will, but it does not be overly dark 24/7. In this movie, whenever it does go to day time, Gotham is still dark. There is always an overcast or looks like it's a few seconds away from raining. So even in the day, it the city is creepy. The sequel will probably have a slightly lighter tone, but not by much given Reeves commentary, and WB/DC letting him do what he wants.

I hope they dig into Tales from the Crypt or other EC comics for inspiration on the sequel.
I am sure they will keep the horror inspirations. Gotham's looks actually reminded me of The Crow (1994). Crow takes place in Detroit, but what I loves is that movie never makes it obvious. You get clues through dialogue, dialect, and certain terms you would have to know, if you're from Detroit or live in Michigan. All the more ironic as The Crow was heavily inspired by Batman '89, yet TDK and The Batman take more inspirations from The Crow.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The movie had quite a few inconsistencies like it trying to be all grounded in reality but then having to suspend your disbelief quite often. If it was more comic-book-y, you really wouldn't have some of these issues. I was thinking Alfred's scene in the hospital might be his last words. It also seemed to be Batman was constantly being leveled down throughout the movie and becoming less and less competent. He couldn't even beat up a bunch of like militia wannabes or whatever at the end and the most heroic thing he does stop people from being electrocuted. The whole ending sequence itself was just so poor IMO. Why does the Riddler and his followers want to kill the new major (or maybe generally any politician if they weren't stopped)? The Riddler had very specific targets that were very corrupt the whole movie and now he just wants to kill like anybody I guess so everything is black and white and the audience feels the Riddler is a clear villain vs him kinda being a possible a good guy / anti-hero as his means are bad but the ends were good. Why does the Riddler want to get caught in the 1st place, wouldn't him not getting caught put fear in current/future politicians so they might avoid becoming corrupt if you have the Riddler still at large?
Were you able to tell
whether Riddler knows Batman is Bruce Wayne? I got the impression he was just saying the name out of jealousy for the prince of Gotham but actually doesn't even suspect Batman and Bruce are the same. If so, him repeating the name is weird. If not, isn't Batman hosed?