Your video game hot take(s) thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Part of it is that they reworked Testament from being effeminate, but male, to being gender-fluid, hence the new look. They aren't really a trap, IMO, because they aren't male or female. They are Testament. Plus, this is the same series that gave us Bridget. Who is a male. Who looks like this.

View attachment 6013
Ahh, a certain generations first "trap".

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Depends on the take. Plus, hot takes are not immune to criticism, counter arguments, or counter counter arguments.
Yeah, but you want to keep the criticism or counter arguments related. Bringing up a totally different game isn't really valid, it would be like someone complaining that Halo isn't Xcom.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, but you want to keep the criticism or counter arguments related. Bringing up a totally different game isn't really valid, it would be like someone complaining that Halo isn't Xcom.
It is related. I don't know what arbitrary standard you're going for, but they're not mine. It's all apt for a fair comparison, whether you like it or not.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As someone who checks out the mobile scene, that is kind of the point, realism is secondary to rule of cool in mobile games since you want an eye catching designt

Though great to see a mobile game user here though. Felt kind of lonely being the. Only who keeps in touch with Chinese mobile games
If you don't mind me asking @Gyrobot , are you Chinese, In China or just really into Chinese games? No disrespect intended. I'm honestly curious since you bring up Chinese games a lot and I do remember your interesting discussion on the Disco Elysium world.

But to address your concern this forum is very US/UK/Australia dominated, with some European escapists but very few people from Asia that I can tell. To be fair a lot of Escapists don't talk about their location so there might be more non-Anglo/American representation then it seems. Mobile games aren't really talked about much and Chinese games either don't seem to filter to the West or aren't talked about. Genshin Impact is the only one I'm aware of, though I've played Chinese games it took me a moment to realize were actually from China(My TIme at Portia, notably).

I suspect we were more internationally diverse about 10 years ago before the EVENT WE DON'T SPEAK OF but a lot of people left and probably never came back.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It is related. I don't know what arbitrary standard you're going for, but they're not mine. It's all apt for a fair comparison, whether you like it or not.
No, its not. They were comparing two outfits from not only the same game but the shame character. Bringing up a character outfit from a different game isn't valid because you can find examples of literally anything if you use other games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, its not. They were comparing two outfits from not only the same game but the shame character. Bringing up a character outfit from a different game isn't valid because you can find examples of literally anything if you use other games.
It is valid, you're just getting bent up out of shape about it. Might as well go after Spector's example while you're at it. You can keep doing this back and forth all day you want, I really don't care. I've already moved on and said my piece. Not my problem you're obsessed with my opinion and example being "wrong". Don't like it, ignore it and move on. I'm not here to please you.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
If you don't mind me asking @Gyrobot , are you Chinese, In China or just really into Chinese games? No disrespect intended. I'm honestly curious since you bring up Chinese games a lot and I do remember your interesting discussion on the Disco Elysium world.

But to address your concern this forum is very US/UK/Australia dominated, with some European escapists but very few people from Asia that I can tell. To be fair a lot of Escapists don't talk about their location so there might be more non-Anglo/American representation then it seems. Mobile games aren't really talked about much and Chinese games either don't seem to filter to the West or aren't talked about. Genshin Impact is the only one I'm aware of, though I've played Chinese games it took me a moment to realize were actually from China(My TIme at Portia, notably).

I suspect we were more internationally diverse about 10 years ago before the EVENT WE DON'T SPEAK OF but a lot of people left and probably never came back.
Ah yes, before Voldemort.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
suspect we were more internationally diverse about 10 years ago before the EVENT WE DON'T SPEAK OF but a lot of people left and probably never came back.
I can already tell you that even before, during, and after, Gabe-gear-ga-ga-go, there weren't that many Asians on The Escapist Forum.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Continuing the subject of ridiculous outfits, here's an interesting example of comparison from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2.

What's interesting here is that in a rare flip, the male character not only has the more ridiculous and impractical outfit, but he's also the one wearing high heel shoes.
I thought heels on men’s shoes were rather common up until the past hundred years and change. And I think there’s still a men’s style that has them - I want to say Cuban Heel but don’t quote me. I agree it’s a rare look, but it’s not utterly baseless.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

Yes, I am Chinese but moved across the pond before the culture took hold. I only started playing looking deeper to the Chinese ACG scene because of recent current events is forcing me to take in more of my Chinese heritage.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The Escapist has always been heavily anglophone dominated tho. Kind of comes with being an American site. Non-English speakers tend to have their own forums and online hangouts. Like, I know the Germans have 4players.de (tho I heard not too long ago that going to shutter).

Fun fact: I think Dutch speakers might actually be the second most represented language on this forum (tho it might also be a tie with German)

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I thought heels on men’s shoes were rather common up until the past hundred years and change. And I think there’s still a men’s style that has them - I want to say Cuban Heel but don’t quote me. I agree it’s a rare look, but it’s not utterly baseless.
Yes, heels were originally something men had. I believe it originally originated from something to do with horse riding (maybe), stirrups or something like that, but then became a fashion thing and was considered oh how lewd to be showing the firmness of their ass, in front of ladies tut tut by some people. I don't remember it being common per se, but the fashion did start with men.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Arknights has committed a sin against Lady Knights:
This is Margaret Nearl:
View attachment 6008
Good design, hammer, armor plates, classic Final Fantasy Tactics Armor Dress, etc. Even giving a pass to the heels because she's a horse girl, so like riding boot theme

This is ultra limited edition Super Nearl, available only for a super limited time, roll for her now!
View attachment 6009
So, on top of being super limited gacha bullshit, she's apparently forgotten how clothes work, much less armor. No shirt, no sleeves, no pants, no torso plate, god knows how that "dress" works and even has fucked up boots.

Arknights has a *lot* of anime bullshit, but it's not usually this particular brand of anime bullshit
I think the most offensive thing to me here is that gravity seems to have forgotten how to work around the bottom of that coat. I mean, it doesn't even look evocative of emotion- it looks more like she slept on it and forgot to iron it.

Depends on the take. Plus, hot takes are not immune to criticism, counter arguments, or counter counter arguments.
I think if there was anything in the world immune to arguments, we of all people would have found it by now.

Ahh, a certain generations first "trap".
"Ahhhh! Unsafe boner! Unsafe boner!"

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It is valid, you're just getting bent up out of shape about it. Might as well go after Spector's example while you're at it. You can keep doing this back and forth all day you want, I really don't care. I've already moved on and said my piece. Not my problem you're obsessed with my opinion and example being "wrong". Don't like it, ignore it and move on. I'm not here to please you.
No, its not valid. If you want to just have a back and forth with you saying its valid and me saying its not, we can do that for the next 40 pages. But you have said nothing to convince me that its a valid point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Another Oneechanbara hot take: the series really needs a good rival character. Not asking for a Vergil, but just a good one. Technically, Saki filled this role in the first game, and first half of Origin. Anzu and Sayaka sort of served as evil counterparts to Aya and Saki (mainly after the first game and Origin), but fight nothing like them. In fact, they are one of the few reoccurring boss fights in the series. Ironic, because in the original game Saki was the first one resurrect them. Reiko barely counts as a rival fight, and fights nothing like Aya. Her Origin counterpart, Lei, while better characterized by comparison, still fights mainly with guns and a knife. The closest to a true rival fight was Aya and Saki themselves against Kagura and Saaya. I take that back, it is a proper rival fight.

The next closest was Misery, and she came back three times, but not much is done with her in Z2: Chaos. She pretty much becomes Nelo Angelo, except the "twist" is so obvious that even calling it a non-twist would be an insult. Though in Z2, she is called Misha instead to pathetically disguise her, even though she wears the same outfit as Misery, and goes out barefooted. The only thing different is her more haggard appearance and the iron mask. How Aya and Saki never figure it out during the first boss fight with her is beyond me. The story later states after the second battle with her, that they had suspicions, but did not dwell on it. Huh.

Hoping in the next future title, Kagura and Saaya get another proper rival from completely new villains.

BTW Worgen, I am already focused on something else, and have not even looked at whatever you just posted. You have fun getting yourself angry over nothing and having a heart attack. Toodles.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think the most offensive thing to me here is that gravity seems to have forgotten how to work around the bottom of that coat. I mean, it doesn't even look evocative of emotion- it looks more like she slept on it and forgot to iron it.
She just uses the same detergent that Vash does.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Like, my beef @TheMysteriousGX is that if you're going to bring this up then there's way better examples you could use. Like, here's one of my own, I hate the look of Ivy from Soul Calibre, not only do I think she's a cool character that's done a deservice being put into stringy fetish clothing but even from a fanservice perspective it's bad because it goes too far and becomes less sexy than if she was just covered up. Like here...

This is the kind of look that would not only suit the character better, but also be sexier and play into the whole "upper crust, dominating dom" fetish far more, and this character I'm showing here? She's from an erotic gacha game. This isn't a gacha game thing, a lot of people just don't seem to understand that showing more skin does not equal more sex appeal.
Yeah, that outfit kinda screams, “always leave them wanting more.”