Your video game hot take(s) thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I noticed. And while I understand some disappointment, it's not enough to go into a huge rant. To me anyway. Honestly, the neo design looks like it would fit in Nier: Automata. I see that as a compliment.
I mean, isn't this topic the perfect place for a rant? This is about hot takes, this is a hot take. Most people wouldn't really notice such a thing and a lot of the gatcha crowd seems to quite like skimpier outfits anyway. So being against that is kind of a hot take.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, isn't this topic the perfect place for a rant? This is about hot takes, this is a hot take. Most people wouldn't really notice such a thing and a lot of the gatcha crowd seems to quite like skimpier outfits anyway. So being against that is kind of a hot take.
Yeah I know, it just seems like a waste of a hot take. Minor blip on the radar that's not that big of a deal. Like I said before, I've already seen way worse. Moving on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah I know, it just seems like a waste of a hot take. Mine are blood on the radar that's not that big of a deal. Like I said before, I've already seen way worse. Moving on
One more thing before we do though. My only problem with that outfit is that I think it would be more practical if it had a shorter coat and skirt (and I think the reason GX was confused by it is that the coat drapes over the skirt). These settings tend to have it so armor doesn't do much most of the time and speed is far preferable anyway so a lack of armor doesn't bug me much anyway and is far more of an affluent/wealthy military luxury throughout real world history as well.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Like, my beef @TheMysteriousGX is that if you're going to bring this up then there's way better examples you could use. Like, here's one of my own, I hate the look of Ivy from Soul Calibre, not only do I think she's a cool character that's done a deservice being put into stringy fetish clothing but even from a fanservice perspective it's bad because it goes too far and becomes less sexy than if she was just covered up. Like here...

This is the kind of look that would not only suit the character better, but also be sexier and play into the whole "upper crust, dominating dom" fetish far more, and this character I'm showing here? She's from an erotic gacha game. This isn't a gacha game thing, a lot of people just don't seem to understand that showing more skin does not equal more sex appeal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nomura, is that you?
Katsumi Enami is the name of the artist. The character you see is called Eva. Keep in mind that before this point, the Oneechanbara games had a more realistic art style. What you see is basically anime-fied costume of what she already wore in the second game. It's more or less accurate to her original costume. I highly doubt even Nomura would approve of something like this.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Katsumi Enami is the name of the artist. The character you see is called Eva. Keep in mind that before this point, the Oneechanbara games had a more realistic art style. What you see is basically anime-fied costume of what she already wore in the second game. It's more or less accurate to her original costume. I highly doubt even Nomura would approve of something like this.
Sorry, my eyes drifted to all the police tape and my mind went "BELTS. BELTS EVERYWHERE".

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Continuing the subject of ridiculous outfits, here's an interesting example of comparison from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2.

What's interesting here is that in a rare flip, the male character not only has the more ridiculous and impractical outfit, but he's also the one wearing high heel shoes.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
One more thing before we do though. My only problem with that outfit is that I think it would be more practical if it had a shorter coat and skirt (and I think the reason GX was confused by it is that the coat drapes over the skirt). These settings tend to have it so armor doesn't do much most of the time and speed is far preferable anyway so a lack of armor doesn't bug me much anyway and is far more of an affluent/wealthy military luxury throughout real world history as well.
If you'd like, I can post pictures of the vast roster of lady knights in Arknights. Like, they just came out with a polycule's worth. That's the worst design of the bunch, in that it doesn't look anything like a knight
Like, my beef @TheMysteriousGX is that if you're going to bring this up then there's way better examples you could use.
I used this "example" because I'm complaining about it specifically, in the context of the game that I play and the liking of her old design much better. This is not a complaint about Lady Knights in general, and I'm not pointing to trends. I'm not complaining about her swimsuit skin, because it does indeed look like a swim suit.

It's a shit lady knight outfit, and I'm using it as an example because it's the worst lady knight outfit Arknights has

That ero lady knight has a terrible lady knight outfit though, considering it's just a fucking suit.

EDIT: Like, this is the E2 art, though not in sparkly motion. It being in Live 2d makes it *much* worse. That's not a coat, not a skirt, not a dress, not even a situation where you can say "the armor is going under the clothes" Just trash
Screenshot_20220429-100359_Arknights.png

Worst skin in the game bar Mudrock's swin suit.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I don't know how much of a hot take this is, but judging from how some Guilty Gear fans reacted...Not only am I a fan of Testament's new look in Guilty Gear Strive, I think they look BETTER than they did in Guilty Gear XX/Accent Core. For comparison, in case you aren't familiar with the game or character, the first picture is their Accent Core design, second picture is their Strive design.

1651248865849.png1651248882830.png

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah I know, it just seems like a waste of a hot take. Minor blip on the radar that's not that big of a deal. Like I said before, I've already seen way worse. Moving on.
Most hot takes are.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
As someone who checks out the mobile scene, that is kind of the point, realism is secondary to rule of cool in mobile games since you want an eye catching designt

Though great to see a mobile game user here though. Felt kind of lonely being the. Only who keeps in touch with Chinese mobile games

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I don't know how much of a hot take this is, but judging from how some Guilty Gear fans reacted...Not only am I a fan of Testament's new look in Guilty Gear Strive, I think they look BETTER than they did in Guilty Gear XX/Accent Core. For comparison, in case you aren't familiar with the game or character, the first picture is their Accent Core design, second picture is their Strive design.

View attachment 6011View attachment 6012
I certainly understand why people would have a problem with that. I don't know anything of the character, I'm basing this just off of visuals but the first is akin to Elvis wearing pink, a guy confident in his own sexuality that he's ok with wearing something considered effiminate. The other is a trap. These are two different concepts for a character and I see why people wouldn't like the change.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Part of it is that they reworked Testament from being effeminate, but male, to being gender-fluid, hence the new look. They aren't really a trap, IMO, because they aren't male or female. They are Testament. Plus, this is the same series that gave us Bridget. Who is a male. Who looks like this.

1651252113683.png

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Part of it is that they reworked Testament from being effeminate, but male, to being gender-fluid, hence the new look. They aren't really a trap, IMO, because they aren't male or female. They are Testament. Plus, this is the same series that gave us Bridget. Who is a male. Who looks like this.

View attachment 6013
Yes? And Bridget fulfills their intention and always has. Testament is a straight up change to a character that already had their own thing going for them. The point is that the character was changed to something else and fans tend to not like that.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
As someone who checks out the mobile scene, that is kind of the point, realism is secondary to rule of cool in mobile games since you want an eye catching designt

Though great to see a mobile game user here though. Felt kind of lonely being the. Only who keeps in touch with Chinese mobile games
I fully agree with the rule of cool. I'm vehemently disagreeing about what is cool. Like, sight unseen, would you peg Radiant Nearl as a Knight of any kind?

Yes? And Bridget fulfills their intention and always has. Testament is a straight up change to a character that already had their own thing going for them. The point is that the character was changed to something else and fans tend to not like that.
Testament's always been agender in Japanese, the only thing that's changing is the English translation

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I never said the fans were wrong. Heck, that's why I posted my thoughts as a hot take, as I know I'm likely not in the majority on that one. I was merely saying that, based on how fans reacted to the change, being not only OK with it, but liking the newer version better, seemed to be a minority opinion, hence a hot take. I only brought up Bridget as precedent to say that it wasn't that fans had a problem with "trap" characters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

View attachment 6013
Testament was always meant to be adrogynous though. Bridget is a guy cross-dressing, so he wouldn't get killed, because twins of the opposite gender bring some type of curse to his village. I'm surprised I even remember that piece of lore .

Last edited: