Shower Thoughts MK2

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Xp, please! You're hushing my buzz man! Just give me a technicality, that's all I'm asking, just this one time bro, I promise I'll pay you back. Is there some way something could serve the same purpose for a habitable planet that our sun does while also being made of some kind of earthen material? C'mon bro, just hook me up here!
Ok, I got ya'. I can't for the life of me imagine it, but in the interest of your buzz, the vast unknowns of the universe, and my limited understanding of such things, we'll say a rock star could exist out there somewhere. It's probably pretty impressive, too.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Xp, please! You're hushing my buzz man! Just give me a technicality, that's all I'm asking, just this one time bro, I promise I'll pay you back. Is there some way something could serve the same purpose for a habitable planet that our sun does while also being made of some kind of earthen material? C'mon bro, just hook me up here!
Ok, if technicality is what you want

There exists a hypothesis for something called 'iron stars'

Which are exactly what the name implies. They are a possible stellar remnant that may form in the far far future (I'm talking after 10^1500 or something). It assumes that the ultimate fate of the universe is heat death, and that protons do not decay. How they form is a little complicated to explain, and involves cold fusion through quantum tunneling processes.

Anyway, stars made of solid iron. Would make for a pretty shitty sun tho. Also, don't exist yet, assuming they ever will.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ok, if technicality is what you want

There exists a hypothesis for something called 'iron stars'

Which are exactly what the name implies. They are a possible stellar remnant that may form in the far far future (I'm talking after 10^1500 or something). It assumes that the ultimate fate of the universe is heat death, and that protons do not decay. How they form is a little complicated to explain, and involves cold fusion through quantum tunneling processes.

Anyway, stars made of solid iron. Would make for a pretty shitty sun tho. Also, don't exist yet, assuming they ever will.
I'll take it! Meme successfully acquired!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The point is that under enough pressure anything will be a solid, no matter how hot it is.
Great, so under what circumstances would rock be under enough pressure inside a constant nuclear explosion to maintain a solid state at the center of a star? And when did I mention anything about pressure that you even brought it up? And why are both those questions rhetorical??

(Sorry, @Specter Von Baren, I still maintain there's a rock star out there for you.)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Great, so under what circumstances would rock be under enough pressure inside a constant nuclear explosion to maintain a solid state at the center of a star? And when did I mention anything about pressure that you even brought it up? And why are both those questions rhetorical??

(Sorry, @Specter Von Baren, I still maintain there's a rock star out there for you.)
"Considering the temperatures present at the center of a star tend to be hotter than what a rock could endure in a solid state"

Was just a counter point to this statement. There are possible conditions that rock could be solid at those temperatures. And something doesn't need to have ongoing nuclear fusion to be considered a star. White dwarfs and neutron stars are both stars, despite no fusion taking place.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"Considering the temperatures present at the center of a star tend to be hotter than what a rock could endure in a solid state"

Was just a counter point to this statement. There are possible conditions that rock could be solid at those temperatures. And something doesn't need to have ongoing nuclear fusion to be considered a star. White dwarfs and neutron stars are both stars, despite no fusion taking place.

So not a fully-functional star, but one that is a star by definition alone with no nuclear fusion? Okay, I guess a Big Mac digested and shat out is still a Big Mac. We agree!

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I need to buy myself a version of the song Aerials that doesn't have the out of place chanting at the end.
...You could just stop listening when the chanting starts. That's free, and easier than trying to track down an edited version that likely doesn't readily exist.

That said, I miss when instrumental versions of songs were readily available. As someone who enjoys music that is 95% lyricless, there are a lot of songs that I'd enjoy were it not for contrived and uninspired crooning drowning out the good stuff.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
...You could just stop listening when the chanting starts. That's free, and easier than trying to track down an edited version that likely doesn't readily exist.

That said, I miss when instrumental versions of songs were readily available. As someone who enjoys music that is 95% lyricless, there are a lot of songs that I'd enjoy were it not for contrived and uninspired crooning drowning out the good stuff.
I mean, I have done that for over a decade. But I listen to music while working and often my hands are full and so I can't skip that part of the song so I have to just listen to it. There could very well be a "radio version" that would cut that part, I just need to look and see if it does. It's not a big thing, that's why it's a "shower thought".

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean, I have done that for over a decade. But I listen to music while working and often my hands are full and so I can't skip that part of the song so I have to just listen to it. There could very well be a "radio version" that would cut that part, I just need to look and see if it does. It's not a big thing, that's why it's a "shower thought".
For better or worse, it's a part of the song; I don't think even a radio edit would cut it completely. You might be able to buy the original song and use an editor to cut the end, but I don't think that's worth the effort OR investment. I'd also argue the chanting isn't out of place. You don't have to like it, but it's little more than a wordless vocal refrain of the established chorus.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
For better or worse, it's a part of the song; I don't think even a radio edit would cut it completely. You might be able to buy the original song and use an editor to cut the end, but I don't think that's worth the effort OR investment. I'd also argue the chanting isn't out of place. You don't have to like it, but it's little more than a wordless vocal refrain of the established chorus.
I also have a song called 'The Autumn Effect' that has a longish ending segment with no vocals but in that case I feel that it suits the song and I like what I hear from it, I'd actually like it if it was longer and its own song.

There's also 'Emblas Saga' which starts off with a segment of slow, haunting singing in Sweedish that I really like but doesn't fit with the rest of the song that, while I don't think it's out of place given the subject of the song, might have been better off being its own song, I have the impression that a lot of people didn't buy that song because they didn't know what the rest of it was like.

'Aerials' has these for its lyrics.

Life is a waterfall
We're one in the river
And one again after the fall

Swimming through the void, we hear the word
We lose ourselves, but we find it all

'Cause we are the ones that want to play
Always want to go, but you never want to stay

And we are the ones that want to choose
Always want to play but you never want to lose

Aerials in the sky
When you lose small mind, you free your life

Life is a waterfall
We drink from the river
Then we turn around and put up our walls

Swimming through the void, we hear the word
We lose ourselves, but we find it all

'Cause we are the ones that want to play
Always want to go, but you never want to stay

And we are the ones that want to choose
Always want to play but you never want to lose

Oh
Aerials in the sky
Aerials, so up high
When you free your eyes, eternal prize
Aerials in the sky
Aerials, so up high
When you free your eyes, eternal prize

And then it has a long period of no music followed by, what sounds like to my ears, Native American chanting. It just doesn't fit with the tone and lyrics of the rest of the song.

And here's the thing. Most of the versions I can find on Youtube don't even have the chanting at the end.

So no, I think this is just a case of me needing to not be lazy and go buy the version without it since I probably have the version that was on the original CD with the song.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
And there we go. I got off my lazy ass, reset my damn password on Itunes again for the millionth freaking time and bought the shorter version for a little over a dollar. Job's done.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And there we go. I got off my lazy ass, reset my damn password on Itunes again for the millionth freaking time and bought the shorter version for a little over a dollar. Job's done.
And you could have just downloaded Audacity for free and cut off the end of the song yourself in like 20 seconds.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I was just thinking of this one thread someone made ages ago. I wish I could find it again, but it doesn't show up on google and the forum search is absolute trash. Anyway, it starts out with the person talking about how their house was robbed one day. They let some guys in coveralls into the house. He thought they were with animal control and didn't think it was odd because he said he had stray dogs in his attic. Well, later he came down out of his room and found they had stolen a bunch of stuff from his living room like their TV and PS3 and that his dad was really angry with him. He ends by saying that it really sucks and he only has enough money for a 360 now.

It was great. Everybody in the thread was so preoccupied with why the heck he had stray dogs in his attic and how he could be so dumb that it wasn't until like 30 posts in that anybody noticed the dig against Xbox that the whole posts was leading up to. Truly mastercraft trolling, and that's what I miss most about the Escapist glory days. Just the really off the wall threads that would pop up occasionally that you never knew how to take.