What have you purchased recently?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Wonder if I could have avoided the issues I'm having now with a UPS. That new power supply only fixed my transfer rates for about a month, until right after I uploaded 4 GB slowly. Transferring that data so slowly (mega.nz took two or three hours.) probably put stress on the array. Now the transfer rates keep dropping from 113 Mbps to 0 and then going back up. Ordered a PCIe 3 SATA card, to replace my PCIe 1 SATA card. Also a PCIe 3 to PCIe 1 adapter so that I can still connect a monitor. Video card is pretty crappy. People say the GT 1030 still works if you break off all the pins that make it a PCIe 3. So I imagine it will probably still work with an adapter. I just need to be able to see the BIOS. The NAS has a Ryzen CPU, so there's no integrated graphics. And that PCIe 3 slot is the only one on my motherboard. Right now I'm checking all the SATA cables one by one. I only have one spare, so I'm trying it on each HDD to see if it fixes it, which is a long-shot. If I had known it would be so much trouble, I might not have built a NAS.

But that PCIe adapter is coming from China. Should have looked. I don't wanna wait five weeks. Maybe I'll see if Best Buy has something and then return it within the two weeks. I never do that, but considering all the money I've spent there...

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A can of the unimaginatively named Lucozade Cherry Blast. It's cherry I guess, but I certainly don't feel blasted.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BattleFleet Gothic - Armada 2, kept meaning to get it and I likely won't play it for a bit (too many games on the go ATM). Handy discount, too.
I did quite enjoy Gothic 2, but it took me forever to get past one campaign.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
BattleFleet Gothic - Armada 2, kept meaning to get it and I likely won't play it for a bit (too many games on the go ATM). Handy discount, too.
It's good. Certainly an improvement over the first in many ways (not that the original was bad, my surprise GotY), although ship customisation suffers a bit and the range of missions has been shrunk for balance reason.

As worgen says, the campaign is long. I've not actualyl finished one yet.

I bought 2 bottles of Mena Dhu stout. It's been difficult to find previously but my local supermarket has started stocking it. Result!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Two weirdo Metroidvanias on sale on PS4, 'Aggelos' and 'Wuppo', for a combined $4.73. Feels like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel of the genre at the point.

Also bought The Lost Morsel for Overcooked, last piece of DLC I was missing. Played it with my girlfriend in a couple of sittings.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I did quite enjoy Gothic 2, but it took me forever to get past one campaign.
Good to know, thanks. 65 hrs is a bit on the high side (I'm assuming the difficulty curve makes it hard to finish all campaign stages first attempt), though it's likely I'll indulge in PvE a fair bit.

It's good. Certainly an improvement over the first in many ways (not that the original was bad, my surprise GotY), although ship customisation suffers a bit and the range of missions has been shrunk for balance reason.

As worgen says, the campaign is long. I've not actualyl finished one yet.
Knowing me, I'll start with the Necron campaign, hopefully they'll keep with GW biases and it's shorter than the Imps campaign(!)

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Good to know, thanks. 65 hrs is a bit on the high side (I'm assuming the difficulty curve makes it hard to finish all campaign stages first attempt), though it's likely I'll indulge in PvE a fair bit.
Well, not really, its more that invaders keep showing up and you have a lot of star systems to take back. By that point I had a lot of really powerful fleets, but still had to worry about invaders coming into my systems and claiming old systems and such. I probably could have skipped some of them, but I did get good stuff for finishing 'quests'.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Well, not really, its more that invaders keep showing up and you have a lot of star systems to take back. By that point I had a lot of really powerful fleets, but still had to worry about invaders coming into my systems and claiming old systems and such. I probably could have skipped some of them, but I did get good stuff for finishing 'quests'.
Interesting... sounds pretty sandbox-y. I thought it'd be more linear, TBH. As a Total War player and a fan of DoW: Dark Crusade, that actually doesn't appear too bad.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Interesting... sounds pretty sandbox-y. I thought it'd be more linear, TBH. As a Total War player and a fan of DoW: Dark Crusade, that actually doesn't appear too bad.
Nah, it is very not linear. You have these solar systems then planets in them that you can capture, manage and defend. There are missions you get and can get some good rewards from too, usually to capture certain systems and such with more hand crafted battles.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
There is a pretty big subsector map and you can largely do what you want, although certain parts only open up once you have completed the relevant mission. Fairly standard I suppose.

Being rather large it can be a bit of a pain in the arse scooting back across a couple of systems to fight off an invasion fleet in your back lines, although you can spend intelligence to delay or cancel them completely.
I would have liked to have had a system where you can cut across the map without using the stable warp routes but have a chance of taking damage like when a ship does an emergency warp jump

It's not exactly a 4x but there is certainly more to the campaign than 1, which was pretty basic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some car repairs from last week, and tire replacements. I got my mom her Mother's Day gift. A book that has a lot of meaning to her.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
There is a pretty big subsector map and you can largely do what you want, although certain parts only open up once you have completed the relevant mission. Fairly standard I suppose.

Being rather large it can be a bit of a pain in the arse scooting back across a couple of systems to fight off an invasion fleet in your back lines, although you can spend intelligence to delay or cancel them completely.
I would have liked to have had a system where you can cut across the map without using the stable warp routes but have a chance of taking damage like when a ship does an emergency warp jump

It's not exactly a 4x but there is certainly more to the campaign than 1, which was pretty basic.
Sounds like it could've done with a 'garrison' type of mechanic. A base level of defensive force, with available reinforcements purchased for some resource or other. Eh... we'll see and I'll gauge my levels of frustration accordingly LOL.

Nah, it is very not linear. You have these solar systems then planets in them that you can capture, manage and defend. There are missions you get and can get some good rewards from too, usually to capture certain systems and such with more hand crafted battles.
Thanks for the further details.

One thing though @both, I had the crash on in-game 'click' problem which was irritating to resolve. Luckily, the Intel 10/11 fix worked for Intel 12. -_-

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Sounds like it could've done with a 'garrison' type of mechanic. A base level of defensive force, with available reinforcements purchased for some resource or other. Eh... we'll see and I'll gauge my levels of frustration accordingly LOL.
You can put in space stations and weapon platforms, but they really only serve as a distraction and long range detection for your fleet ships, don't expect them to do anything on their own.
I can see the point of not having garrisons, you have to spread your forces out a bit, you can't just dogpile the systems you are trying to take, but it does mean you tend to have fleets just hanging around in the back in case there are any attackes on your planets. Maybe include system defense ships rather than just immobile defenses.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Looks like my NAS just powered through the first power loss since plugging in the UPS three days ago. I woke up ten minutes after, to a hard wind outside. The PS4 and PC were both sleeping and had to be booted up cold. At least I already know it works.