General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I thought general consensus was it being at the very least “ok”. Guess people weren’t looking closely enough.
It's maybe "ok" in the sense that if you're only vaguely familiar with Halo it's passable. By no means great or even just good tv, but watchable.

If you're a big fan tho, it might as well be a punch to the face.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They really don't know when to quit.

Lease someone cares about doing the right thing. Also, good job defying over Jim Ryan. That is a win in my book.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I thought general consensus was it being at the very least “ok”. Guess people weren’t looking closely enough.
I feel the general consensus is a combination of casual viewers/non-halo fans vs halo fans who's been waiting for a great live-action adaptation. But I also think the latest episode is universally hated lol

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Reactions: FakeSympathy

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I feel the general consensus is a combination of casual viewers/non-halo fans vs halo fans who's been waiting for a great live-action adaptation. But I also think the latest episode is universally hated lol
What exactly is going on anyway? Someone posted in another thread a screenshot of people I don't recognize kissing and it's a big deal for some reason?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
What exactly is going on anyway? Someone posted in another thread a screenshot of people I don't recognize kissing and it's a big deal for some reason?
I think it's the same deal that's been happening with any live-action adaptation of any source materials; For casual viewers and non-fans it really isn't a big deal, but for fans of the source material it's a disgrace.

Like, I remember watching a Terminator tv-show and remember liking it, but a buddy of mine who was a die-hard fan of the franchise thought it was trash

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like, I remember watching a Terminator tv-show and remember liking it, but a buddy of mine who was a die-hard fan of the franchise thought it was trash
The Sarah Connor Chronicles is trash. I say this, and I am a casual Terminator fan. The problem with all of the sequels and TV spin-offs are they go too off rails, and become bad fan fics. Salvation I actually liked ok, and find it better than SCC, Rise of the Machines, and the rest of the garbage. Other than that, there are only two Terminator films.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
A sequel to an underrated RPG. NICE!

This is a second game where it is set in alt Victorian England, souls-like gameplay with androids. Looks cool

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
From what I've absorbed through the Internet, the uproar is primarily because John (the Master Chief) had sex with a prisoner of war (who is a Covenant sympathizer, which is just its own raft of problems on its own) in a situation that could be construed as a war crime. It's of course not addressed in the games, but in some of the Halo books, it's stated that the Spartans have implants that suppress their sex drive.

And, unsurprisingly, there's jokes going around that "Halo fans are just mad that John's not a virgin like them anymore".

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A sequel to an underrated RPG. NICE!

This is a second game where it is set in alt Victorian England, souls-like gameplay with androids. Looks cool
I tried playing some of Greedfall when I had a hankering for a new RPG. Kinda wish I stuck with it but my backlog was already too abundant. Nice to see it’s had enough support to get a sequel.

Steelrising looks intriguingly creepy in a good way.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

EA's latest earnings report. BF2042 is not even included as one of their active games. Hell, BFV and SWTOR is on the list (see page 8). That should tell you how much they care about the game

TL;DR
wE aREN't GIvinG up ON tHIS gAME Yet!!!!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's of course not addressed in the games, but in some of the Halo books, it's stated that the Spartans have implants that suppress their sex drive.
It was a side effect of the augmentations, not a stated goal for them.

I can't comment on the Halo show in question, but John making out with anyone would be eyeraising at best, regardless of any circumstances. Leaving aside Cortana (which isn't really romantic - immensely close personal connection, yes, but not romantic, I'd argue), and the various female characters John's had comraderie with over the years (e.g. Kelly and Linda), the only time he's shown any potential romantic interest in anyone, ever, would be Melissa McKay. And if you ask "who?" then I don't blame you, since she only ever appeared in one novel, and hasn't even been mentioned since.

Is it impossible for a Spartan-II to be romantic? Not really. Maria started a family (though the fanbase tends to ignore her in my experience), and there's arguably a 'thing' between Fred and Vera, but if you're going to pair a Spartan-II with anyone, you really need to put in the legwork to do it.

(The Ones, Threes, and Fours are another matter of course.)

I personally detest SCC as well. Which might be weird, since I genuinely enjoy every Terminator film bar T3 and BAT, but I've often wondered how much of SCC's fanbase were Terminator fans before the show aired.

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not trying to gatekeep, but SCC really doesn't jibe with Terminator for me. It's not the only piece of Terminator spinoff media that's had this problem, but it does share the same problem in a wider sense. The entire premise of time travel originally in Terminator was that it was a desparate, last-shot attempt by Skynet, and even T2 kind of breaks this premise arguably. But by SCC, we're in a full-blown time war between the Resistance and Skynet, with Terminators popping up everywhere, and where, in the midst of that, John Connor, future messiah of humanity...goes to school?

Also, it gets far too preachy IMO - technology is bad, scientists are bad, etc. Hackneyed as this is on its own, it doesn't even sync with the films that came before it. Yes, T2 did have things to say on scientific ethics, but it never advocated abandoning technology in of itself. Miles Dyson is conspicuously a good person, if naieve, not some amoral idiot.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Leaving aside Cortana (which isn't really romantic - immensely close personal connection, yes, but not romantic, I'd argue), and the various female characters John's had comraderie with over the years (e.g. Kelly and Linda), the only time he's shown any potential romantic interest in anyone, ever, would be Melissa McKay. And if you ask "who?" then I don't blame you, since she only ever appeared in one novel, and hasn't even been mentioned since.
I read The Flood a long, long time ago, but I don't recall anything about Chief having romantic interest in her. Didn't they just meet once in the whole book?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I read The Flood a long, long time ago, but I don't recall anything about Chief having romantic interest in her. Didn't they just meet once in the whole book?
To quote the end of the book:

"For some reason, he [John] thought of Lieutenant Melissa McKay, her calm green eyes, and the fact he'd never gotten to know her."

It's a small moment, but it happens at the end of the book, after Alpha Halo's been destroyed (and to John's knowledge, killed everyone on it). That he thinks of McKay specifically in this moment, and the choice of words, does indicate (to me) that John might have had some kind of interest in her.

I say thing, because McKay hasn't been mentioned/reflected on once since then.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
To quote the end of the book:

"For some reason, he [John] thought of Lieutenant Melissa McKay, her calm green eyes, and the fact he'd never gotten to know her."

It's a small moment, but it happens at the end of the book, after Alpha Halo's been destroyed (and to John's knowledge, killed everyone on it). That he thinks of McKay specifically in this moment, and the choice of words, does indicate (to me) that John might have had some kind of interest in her.

I say thing, because McKay hasn't been mentioned/reflected on once since then.
Ah yes, I do remember that line now. I think that does hint enough that John was "interested" in her, although I put that in quotations because it seems he doesn't know why he thought of her. Probably how they should have done it in the show. Chief learning to be human and dealing with emotions he's never felt before. Instead of basically already being a somewhat normal human being who had his switch temporarily turned to "robot".

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I tried playing some of Greedfall when I had a hankering for a new RPG. Kinda wish I stuck with it but my backlog was already too abundant. Nice to see it’s had enough support to get a sequel.
Greedfall is fine but nothing amazing. It's a spyder game trough and trough, eurojank with lots of love and effort but maybe not the budget (and possibly talent) to back that up. Despite having a big talent tree the combat never really evolve and the story is a bit awkward since it's about colonialism but doesn't really want to seriously tackle the subject.

A sequel on the continent is a bit of an odd choice since the main event happening at the time is a plague and that's entirely resolved in the first game so it'll be awkward to have this big lingering presence that you can't do anything about.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Greedfall is fine but nothing amazing. It's a spyder game trough and trough, eurojank with lots of love and effort but maybe not the budget (and possibly talent) to back that up. Despite having a big talent tree the combat never really evolve and the story is a bit awkward since it's about colonialism but doesn't really want to seriously tackle the subject.

A sequel on the continent is a bit of an odd choice since the main event happening at the time is a plague and that's entirely resolved in the first game so it'll be awkward to have this big lingering presence that you can't do anything about.
I tried playing Greedfall and bounced off of it pretty hard. I thought it was kinda bumkiss. But I'm probably not the right person for it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

I swear, everything they talk about "something you haven't seen before!" is always something we've seen before, and we already have enough online card game pvp.

Also, it's f2p. So of course it'll be monetized and lootboxed to death