FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Why why why why why fucking why:?
I'm willing to bet it's not even about playing the actual game anymore, but just to mess around with the game with mods. I should know because I'm guilty of this as well, modding the fuck out of the game beyond recognition, or until the game starts breaking. Some mods come with their own setting in MCM in-game, so people spend time adjusting those. I mean someone even made an entire game using Skyrim (check out Enderal if you are interested.)

That or the game is becoming the next RE4, spreading to every platform faster than Starbucks opening new locations

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Chimpzy

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not really gaming news, but I don't know where else to put this without making a whole thread about it.

Shamus Young is Dead. For those who are wondering who that is, he was a regular contributor to the Escapist a decade ago and did a humor comic series called Stolen Pixels back in the day. He's been doing a lot of long form games discussion on his Blog TwentySided since then(including a massive take on the Mass Effect Series which was quite the read).

A couple months back he reported having Health Problems and expected his life expectancy wasn't going to be super long, but even then, I opened up his page to see the last part of the FFXII essay and the first thing I see is "The Late Shamus Young". I expected more warning, somehow.

I didn't know the guy but I always enjoyed his essays on gaming and the industry and Stolen Pixels was one of my favorite bits on the early days of this website. RIP Shamus.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
RE2, 3 and 7 can now be downgraded.

DirectX 11 Non-Ray Tracing Version Now Available

Hello Resident Evil fans,

Due to overwhelming community response, we've reactivated the previous version that does not include ray tracing and enhanced 3D audio. Both enhanced and previous versions will be made available going forward.

Please follow the steps below if you wish to roll back to the previous version.

1. Click LIBRARY in Steam client.
2. Right-click the game and select ""Properties...""
3. In the pop-up menu, select ""BETAS""
4. From the pull-down menu, select ""dx11_non-rt"" (Note: password not required)
5. Close the pop-up menu and let the Steam client auto-update the game
6. You should be able to launch the game normally once the update completes
7. Please note some of the in-game option settings will be reset as a result of the rollback process.

If you would like to update the game to the new version again, simply select ""None"" from the pull-down menu in Step 4 above.

Resident Evil Team

Last edited:

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Not really gaming news, but I don't know where else to put this without making a whole thread about it.

Shamus Young is Dead. For those who are wondering who that is, he was a regular contributor to the Escapist a decade ago and did a humor comic series called Stolen Pixels back in the day. He's been doing a lot of long form games discussion on his Blog TwentySided since then(including a massive take on the Mass Effect Series which was quite the read).

A couple months back he reported having Health Problems and expected his life expectancy wasn't going to be super long, but even then, I opened up his page to see the last part of the FFXII essay and the first thing I see is "The Late Shamus Young". I expected more warning, somehow.

I didn't know the guy but I always enjoyed his essays on gaming and the industry and Stolen Pixels was one of my favorite bits on the early days of this website. RIP Shamus.
Damn, that's sad to hear. I enjoyed reading and watching his stuff from the original Escapist days and some of his stuff on youtube.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

That's very sad news. My deepest sympathies to his family. I wish them peace and courage at this this of sorrow.

Always enjoyed his takes, they were insightful and fun to read/watch. Would've liked to reread Stolen Pixels, but can't seem to find it anywhere. DM of the Rings is still up on TwentySided tho.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Much condolences to his family and friends. I liked this insightful commentary about Twitter -

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like how they kinda flipped the script on the Horizon games. Also, triceratops barrel rolls at 4:50 lol. Although, I hope there’s good justification for slaughtering the most awesome creatures in history.
I say this game takes more from Warframe and EDF. As far as justification goes, you're most likely not going to get much. This is Capcom we're talking about. They just want to make the most video gamey game ever. They just wanted to do people in mech/powered armor suits versus dinosaurs. It's all rule of cool.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I say this game takes more from Warframe and EDF. As far as justification goes, you're most likely not going to get much. This is Capcom we're talking about. They just want to make the most video gamey game ever. They just wanted to do people in mech/powered armor suits versus dinosaurs. It's all rule of cool.
By that I meant Horizon is humans fighting robot dinosaurs, while this is robot humans fighting real dinosaurs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This was an interesting watch because I wanted to hear about the feedback people had with the Sonic game since many press folks got to play it. And it's about what I expected.

As Yahtzee once said, everytime a new Sonic game comes out fans get overly excited "GET MY FURSUIT THIS IS GONNA BE THE ONE!" and every time the game is a bucket of stale cum. This game looks to be no different. I hope Sonic fans enjoy it, but be careful....

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This was an interesting watch because I wanted to hear about the feedback people had with the Sonic game since many press folks got to play it. And it's about what I expected.

As Yahtzee once said, everytime a new Sonic game comes out fans get overly excited "GET MY FURSUIT THIS IS GONNA BE THE ONE!" and every time the game is a bucket of stale cum. This game looks to be no different. I hope Sonic fans enjoy it, but be careful....
Worst to worst, I'll just get Freedom Planet 2.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
So Overwatch 2 reveal event happened today.

Let me preface by saying it's not even worth the effort to look it up on youtube. To sum it up:
  • It's gonna be free to play
  • Lootboxes are being dropped
  • .... At the cost of the game adapting live-service/season pass model.
  • The PVE/story content will be part of seasonal content, indicating always online to play the story
  • ....And that pve won't even come until next year (the game is set to release this fall)
  • NEw hero every other season
  • Any stuff you unlocked in OW1 will be carried over
  • One new mode, and six new maps at the launch
  • And other PR stuff you heard thousands of times on other live-service games
Boy, they just love waving those red flags, don't they?