General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Skull and Bones gameplay; Unfortunately, as much as the game's graphics look amazing, the gameplay looks bad. They claim the game tries to focus on grittier and realistic take on pirates, but WTF are some of these cursed ship designs? Also, other players can steal your shit if you sink. Also look like most of the combat seems to be done on ships. What about going on foot with swords and pistols?

Also, the clearly has no set story and is one of those "make your own story" social game.

But the last nail in the coffin for me is the game being a live service. Everything they talked about is pointing towards live service.

I would take AC4 Black Flags any day over this game.
I keep forgetting that this game exists. Is this one multiplatform, or an Xbox exclusive?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Skull and Bones gameplay; Unfortunately, as much as the game's graphics look amazing, the gameplay looks bad. They claim the game tries to focus on grittier and realistic take on pirates, but WTF are some of these cursed ship designs? Also, other players can steal your shit if you sink. Also look like most of the combat seems to be done on ships. What about going on foot with swords and pistols?

Also, the clearly has no set story and is one of those "make your own story" social game.

But the last nail in the coffin for me is the game being a live service. Everything they talked about is pointing towards live service.

So basically players whale out to overpower everyone, then they blow your ass up which forces you to whale yourself back to a playable state in the game. Oh boy.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I realized I didn't post the actually gameplay earlier, so here it is

So far, the only "piratey" thing in the game is the ship combat.

There's no
  • Tavern to hang out with your friends in-game, getting drunk or play piratey minigames
  • boarding on enemy ships
  • Exploration of the islands and places on foot
  • pets to have on board
  • Distinct Navy/Marine forces to fight. The ones in the game look very generic
or anything else you may expect from a fucking pirate game. And this from the guys who made AC4 Black Flags.

Just how low they can sink?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I realized I didn't post the actually gameplay earlier, so here it is

So far, the only "piratey" thing in the game is the ship combat.

There's no
  • Tavern to hang out with your friends in-game, getting drunk or play piratey minigames
  • boarding on enemy ships
  • Exploration of the islands and places on foot
  • pets to have on board
  • Distinct Navy/Marine forces to fight. The ones in the game look very generic
or anything else you may expect from a fucking pirate game. And this from the guys who made AC4 Black Flags.

Just how low they can sink?
I don't know what you expected from a game that clearly suffered development hell. The fact that it wasn't cancelled entirely is a miracle. But nevertheless the game is going to be a trainwreck.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I think it's always been billed or at least rumored to be a LS game. Which is honestly why I've really not cared. If I want fun pirating, I have Black Flag or any number of other games to play. Also I have no clue why this was in Dev for so long because it really looks like Black Flag but with LS stuff tacked on. If you want to play an Ubisoft Pirate game, there's like 3 of them out there already (AC4:BF, AC4:FC and AC: Rouge) and if you really want more after those, there's the ship combat bits in AC3(Yeah, I'm stretching a bit).

Also, One of the first things in the trailer is a big fantasy looking mountain thing and....what fucking century is this game supposed to take place in? Greek Fire? muti-rocket launchers? I know BF took some liberties but....just call it pirate fantasy because that's what it is.

You mean a shipwreck?
"Shipwreck....Nautical Term."-Jack Sparrow, probably

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Not a big loss.
Maybe not a big loss, but I still don't get this trend of "forced scarcity" when it comes to game demos these days. (The last couple of Resident Evils were really bad about that.) Do I need to worry about someone breaking into my apartment to take away all my old PC Gamer demo discs?

E3 has gone the way of the town crier. Please let it die.

What about going on foot with swords and pistols?
Boarding actions were primarily the end goal of ship-to-ship combat in the Age of Sail. Just look up how many "ships of the line" changed hands between France and England during that period. Leaving this kind of thing out is a huge cannon shot through the hull of any claims of authenticity.

Not that the game's player base will stay afloat for long.
...must you lash out?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe not a big loss, but I still don't get this trend of "forced scarcity" when it comes to game demos these days. (The last couple of Resident Evils were really bad about that.)
It's all about their pathetic control on the consumers, and making sure there are no data leaks and hackers. This has never stopped hackers from trying and succeeding on all fronts. It's why Capcom takes down so many demos so fast on PC at least.

Let It Die
Anyone remember this announcement?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

This is the closest to a dream game of mine other than Starfield, Elders Scroll 6, or Fallout 5.

But since it's Square Enix you can't screw around with the source code, so that's a skip.

Also steam's down and I have nothing to do.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Terminator game that just came out recently, I rather just play that.

RoboCop is looking okay so far.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That Robocop footage looks so robotic that it looks like it's an on rails vr game.
I am still willing to give it a fair shot, but it needs more time in the oven.

Classic EA
Not surprised in the slightest. EA have been hypocritical bitches since the mid 2000s. I understand those employees pain greatly. To have your hard work shat on or pedigreed and arrogance, is infuriating.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Classic EA
"According to the report, there was such a dislike for the tweet among EA employees in part because EA's main social media account is reportedly not managed by the company's social or communication teams. Rather, the Twitter account is said to be managed by people outside of the game industry."

Wait, WTF? You can't have someone on your PR team do this? Really? Nobody in PR knows how to use Twitter? It's been proven that a fucking carrot can use twitter, so I don't know what's going on at EA.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Wait, WTF? You can't have someone on your PR team do this? Really? Nobody in PR knows how to use Twitter? It's been proven that a fucking carrot can use twitter, so I don't know what's going on at EA.
The EA carrot was quietly let go after allegations of workplace bullying came to light.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
"According to the report, there was such a dislike for the tweet among EA employees in part because EA's main social media account is reportedly not managed by the company's social or communication teams. Rather, the Twitter account is said to be managed by people outside of the game industry."

I’m of the opinion no game company should engage with its player base via social media. It’s just too big a potential pain in the arse and risk vector for morons to shoot their mouth off.