General Gaming News.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
True, UC3 was a step down from UC2 outside of set pieces and minor gameplay stuff like grenade toss backs. But even afterwards, I’d still rather take UC4/LL over either TLoU games, even though some of the gameplay they have can be highly appreciated.
I haven't played LL yet(I have it, haven't played it) but I felt UC4 was the best of the bunch(with UC2 coming in a close second). Yes, the brother thing comes out of nowhere and one of the central plot twist could have been easily solved with a 10 second google search but it plays damn well and the set pieces are great. Not to mention the interplay between Nathan and his brother works so fucking well I can forgive Sam being retconned in with a hammer for this game.
Honestly, U4 feels like a victim of TLoU's success, and shows Druckmann really isn't the right fit for that franchise. While the charaters are giving a level a depth they never had before, the dialoge lacks the punch and wit of the previous games. It also has what now appears to be the patented Neil Druckmann slow hour long intro, where we get three false starts before the game actually begins. For TLoU this works well enough being a much slower paced game, but this is Uncharted - get the lead out. Also, notes in an Uncharted game... another thing that fit very well in TLoU but just bogs down Nate running, gunning, and jumping through the scenery.

Thankfully The Lost Legacy got rid of all of that, and it's a much snappier game because of it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, U4 feels like a victim of TLoU's success, and shows Druckmann really isn't the right fit for that franchise. While the charaters are giving a level a depth they never had before, the dialoge lacks the punch and wit of the previous games. It also has what now appears to be the patented Neil Druckmann slow hour long intro, where we get three false starts before the game actually begins. For TLoU this works well enough being a much slower paced game, but this is Uncharted - get the lead out. Also, notes in an Uncharted game... another thing that fit very well in TLoU but just bogs down Nate running, gunning, and jumping through the scenery.

Thankfully The Lost Legacy got rid of all of that, and it's a much snappier game because of it.
After U4, I never felt the need to play an Uncharted game again. U2 is still my favorite in the franchise, but I've always been casual with the series. After completing the Remastered Trilogy and U4, I became done. I got LL for cheap, but I had no interests playing, so I traded the game in at some point. Plus, those games take up so much hard drive space. Mainly U4. I have the space for them, but I rather not bother re-installing U4 again.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
After U4, I never felt the need to play an Uncharted game again. U2 is still my favorite in the franchise, but I've always been casual with the series. After completing the Remastered Trilogy and U4, I became done. I got LL for cheap, but I had no interests playing, so I traded the game in at some point. Plus, those games take up so much hard drive space. Mainly U4. I have the space for them, but I rather not bother re-installing U4 again.
The formula does its job well enough, but it does feel kinda stuck in the 7th generation of gaming. I'm never one to throw around the 'shallow gameplay' label, but the Uncharted franchise hasn't ever felt the need to stretch its legs much gameplay wise. Not that it needs to be Devil May Cry, but if you give a character a hook and rope you would have to have little to no imagination to not want to figure out ways to implement that into the combat.

Let's hope that for the inevitable Uncharted 5 or Uncharted [insert reboot title] that Naughty Dog is allowed some leeway from the overlords to change things up a bit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The formula does its job well enough, but it does feel kinda stuck in the 7th generation of gaming. I'm never one to throw around the 'shallow gameplay' label, but the Uncharted franchise hasn't ever felt the need to stretch its legs much gameplay wise. Not that it needs to be Devil May Cry, but if you give a character a hook and rope you would have to have little to no imagination to not want to figure out ways to implement that into the combat.
It's what I realized after completing Uncharted 4. Other than a slightly better stealth mechanic, it was more the same, but on 8th generation consoles, but way too much slow down/down time. Like I said many times before, I've been done with 7th generation cover shooters. The only ones I willing go back to: are Bulletstorm and Vanquish.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I appreciate the effort, but also worried mixing politics and gaming
Honestly that might be the only way to beat back the microtransaction garbage that infects our hobby like a plague. When politics realize it's gambling to children, they can force publishers to knock that shit off.

Might be a double edged sword though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has been recently ported to Steam as Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition! Not sure what the main differences are between it and the regular WO3U on console but it reminds me that I still haven't played WO3U and should get around to it.