Funny events in anti-woke world

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
What the actual fuck am I seeing here?
I don't understand. Are listeners supposed to think the (presumably rioter?) deserves to be imprisoned, or that it's a "witch hunt" and he is unjustly persecuted?
It appears an attempt to play up sympathies for the J6 prisoners by hiring an actor to portray whatever it is some wealthy conservative grifter thought their base sees as the insurrectionists. No thought about anyone else in the prison system of course. Though it's not clear how well this will work for the average Trumper so far. The narrative is always 'a witch hunt.'

Oh wait. That's not just an actor.

Last edited:

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I'm sure if you ask the right (wrong) person, they'd compare the performance to Auschwitz or something equally as dumb.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm sure if you ask the right (wrong) person, they'd compare the performance to Auschwitz or something equally as dumb.
On a somewhat related note, Alex Jones' lawyer invokes Niemöllers poem in his closing statement:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
On a somewhat related note, Alex Jones' lawyer invokes Niemöllers poem in his closing statement:
That judge was already looking immensely tired and fed up to have been assigned that shitshow. I can't imagine that improved her mood.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Why are you complimenting Trunkage? I thought you two were arguing.
I've always been one to promote understanding other people points of view so seeing their show etc could at least be informative

I don't know what you could learn from Shapiro, except maybe that if you say a bunch of things together, you can pretend it proves your point.

I've watched way too much of Shapiro's stuff over the years. I'm really tired of all the imaginary puppets he uses to take down his imaginary libs. I've tired to understand but all I see is a mirage

At least Jordan Peterson has done something positive in his life

Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't know what you could learn from Shapiro, except maybe that if you say a bunch of things together, you can pretend it proves your point.
I've listened to about 5-10 minutes total of Shapiro.

That was quite enough to provide evidence that he is little more than a smug blowhard who makes his case simply through the expedience of not allowing anyone (competent) space to disagree with him. It's easy to win an argument when no-one's given the opportunity to argue back.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hey, if we've been taken over by machine overlords too, you think they'd give us faster internet?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So the jury decision on Alex Jones's punitive damages is in:

His lawyer argues that the maximum should be $1.5 million. As for me, I stand by my "shanked by a hobo" opinion given previously.

Reactions: Kwak and Dalisclock

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
His lawyer argues that the maximum should be $1.5 million. As for me, I stand by my "shanked by a hobo" opinion given previously.
Remember; be the change you want to see in the world.

Although I wouldn't suggest becoming an actual hobo.

Hey, if we've been taken over by machine overlords too, you think they'd give us faster internet?
America just loves its cults, dunnit...

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

This is insane. It's great for me since I have less competition. But the problem is this if you don't get a 4-year degree—your screwed. Even if you get a four-year degree in something that's marketable NOW, it doesn't mean you will have a job due to supply, and demand altering the desirability of said degree. Look at pharmacy majors. They used to make lots of money, and nowadays they make way less.

But to not get a degree means you graduate with only a GED or high school diploma where you will have to work a less complex job(factory production, retail, restaurant support) A two-year degree could be okay depending on your major but many entry-level office support positions could be automated. For example, a task that took a more senior colleague of mine 3-6 minutes possibly to do took me a few seconds because I knew how to do IF statements on excel, and that person didn't so they had to manually enter, and check each value. Many technical support jobs and trades could easily be either automated by companies like Boston Dynamics. Look at weathermen, I had a friend that wanted to major in it, and guess what you could literally use to check the weather nowadays; your phone, not your TV, your phone which gets data from the US government agency; the NCEP Meteorological Assimilation Data Ingest System. (MADIS)

Edit: grammar

And before those of you who state that education will magically make people into liberals to social democrats or at least critical thinkers. Why don't we look at more educated countries like Ireland which is the number one most educated country? A country that survives not by how many inventions and startups it makes as that's Israel or its dominance in global trade; Singapore, or how many semiconductor factories it has; Taiwan. It survives by saying see our taxes, let's lower them for companies. And guess who they elected, I will give you a hint it's not liberals it's conservatives who around the world are currently supporting policies that either increase intra-national GDP per capital inequality, make the planet warmer, and hate on people who are different than they are for reasons they cannot control. And I haven't even gone into the housing crisis, policing, and religiously, both for and hatred of.

Also, let's take a look at China, and India the two most populous countries, has education made either more liberal? Nope. The more Indians have gotten four-year college degrees, the more power the BJP has gotten, and the more Chinese people have gotten college degrees and more education, the more nationalistic they have gotten.

No education is a means to be productive in society, nothing more, nothing less. It will not magically solve a country's problems. For those of you in college right now, I hope you pick a degree that will be marketable now and ten to twenty years in the future. And it's pretty hard, it took me until the last year of my first degree to make basically an educated guess based on New York Fed underemployment data, and I still don't know whether I made the right choice.

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
How does this argument not apply to literally every pundit?
The days of two intellectual heavyweights going head-to-head are old media: people don't watch them and they don't get the message across. These days, particularly via the internet and discrete political media ecosystems, it's easier for many pundits to create their own little fortresses: set-ups where pundits bleat superficial slogans, lightweight arguments without opposition, and soft interviews with one's media allies, never really engaging with the opposition at all. That is a lot of pundits.

But there are still some who thrive in heavyweight ideas and discussion, and who venture out and tackle major opponents or questioning head-on. The only time I saw Shapiro do that, he came across as arrogant and ineffectual. Maybe Shapiro could have done that once, but his skills probably withered through too much superficial, performative braggadocio.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
The days of two intellectual heavyweights going head-to-head are old media: people don't watch them and they don't get the message across. These days, particularly via the internet and discrete political media ecosystems, it's easier for many pundits to create their own little fortresses: set-ups where pundits bleat superficial slogans, lightweight arguments without opposition, and soft interviews with one's media allies, never really engaging with the opposition at all. That is a lot of pundits.

But there are still some who thrive in heavyweight ideas and discussion, and who venture out and tackle major opponents or questioning head-on. The only time I saw Shapiro do that, he came across as arrogant and ineffectual. Maybe Shapiro could have done that once, but his skills probably withered through too much superficial, performative braggadocio.
Maybe we should just tell "intellectuals" to fuck off. It literally doesn't matter what Jordan Peterson thinks about climate change. Like he doesn't cite sources he just uses bullshit sophistry to make it sound like he's not just giving his opinion.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

This is insane. It's great for me since I have less competition. But the problem is this if you don't get a 4-year degree—your screwed. Even if you get a four-year degree in something that's marketable NOW, it doesn't mean you will have a job due to supply, and demand altering the desirability of said degree. Look at pharmacy majors. They used to make lots of money, and nowadays they make way less.

But to not get a degree means you graduate with only a GED or high school diploma where you will have to work a less complex job(factory production, retail, restaurant support) A two-year degree could be okay depending on your major but many entry-level office support positions could be automated. For example, a task that took a more senior colleague of mine 3-6 minutes possibly to do took me a few seconds because I knew how to do IF statements on excel, and that person didn't so they had to manually enter, and check each value. Many technical support jobs and trades could easily be either automated by companies like Boston Dynamics. Look at weathermen, I had a friend that wanted to major in it, and guess what you could literally use to check the weather nowadays; your phone, not your TV, your phone which gets data from the US government agency; the NCEP Meteorological Assimilation Data Ingest System. (MADIS)

Edit: grammar

And before those of you who state that education will magically make people into liberals to social democrats or at least critical thinkers. Why don't we look at more educated countries like Ireland which is the number one most educated country? A country that survives not by how many inventions and startups it makes as that's Israel or its dominance in global trade; Singapore, or how many semiconductor factories it has; Taiwan. It survives by saying see our taxes, let's lower them for companies. And guess who they elected, I will give you a hint it's not liberals it's conservatives who around the world are currently supporting policies that either increase intra-national GDP per capital inequality, make the planet warmer, and hate on people who are different than they are for reasons they cannot control. And I haven't even gone into the housing crisis, policing, and religiously, both for and hatred of.

Also, let's take a look at China, and India the two most populous countries, has education made either more liberal? Nope. The more Indians have gotten four-year college degrees, the more power the BJP has gotten, and the more Chinese people have gotten college degrees and more education, the more nationalistic they have gotten.

No education is a means to be productive in society, nothing more, nothing less. It will not magically solve a country's problems. For those of you in college right now, I hope you pick a degree that will be marketable now and ten to twenty years in the future. And it's pretty hard, it took me until the last year of my first degree to make basically an educated guess based on New York Fed underemployment data, and I still don't know whether I made the right choice.
College is a racket. As much as I appreciate the growth of human knowledge and respect the people who genuinely want tot take part in that, the go to college -> get a better job formula is complete and utter trash. Honestly, if we could stop doing that, if companies would stop using degrees to gatekeep jobs that require no education and will teach all the required skills on site, it would dramatically improve the college experience. Imagine a university where you've cut out all the people who are there only because they might make more money? It'd be a much better place.

The thing I really want to address though is the "making students liberals" part. You are correct, education does not make people more left-wing. There is no evidence that I have seen that people exit higher education with significantly different politics than they went in with (except for specifically Fidel Castro). There is, however, a correlation in the US between level of education and left-wing politics. It isn't because college is turning kids into Democrats, but rather because more Democrats are entering college to begin with. Interpret that however you like.