Mar-A-Lago Raid

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
There is no way a reasonable listener could hear Laura Cooper's testimony and come to that conclusion. It stretches credulity far beyond breaking point. Just as your utterly alien reading of Zelensky's interview does; this is all tortuous mental gymnastics, making square pegs fit round holes.
Yes. I went through this 2-3 years ago.

It is essentially taking the most favourable possible interpretation of events for Trump at every turn, even if improbable. It's a bit like having thirty, consecutive, 80:20 options, taking the 20 every time and arguing that's the most realistic end point.

Reactions: Silvanus

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It just keeps getting better and better.
Hey, remember that Trump said on that interview (earlier in this thread) he'd contacted the DoJ urging co-operative action? Turns out he's actually been obstructing them for months. So that was basically a lie - who'd have thought?

I cannot help but feel this represents some of Trump's weird pathological mindset, and that he genuinely thinks he should have these classified documents. I might speculate his grotesque, narcissistic self-importance and belief in dictatorial-like power to do as he pleases, astonishingly even after he's no longer in office, and that he has some authority as an ex-president that exceeds the actual president. There's also, of course, the possibility that like many people, upon realising he might be in trouble attempts to cover it up and makes the mess even worse.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
People didn't resign over "the need for an extention".
Most people resign because they don't like their boss. I imagine there's a good chance that's the case here.
The GAO didn't censure the OMB for lawbreaking over an "extention".
They quite literally did, or more specifically the need for one.
There is no way a reasonable listener could hear Laura Cooper's testimony and come to that conclusion. It stretches credulity far beyond breaking point.
I strongly disagree. She put special emphasis on the phrasing used. She did not simply agree to Schiff's language that the Ukrainian's were "concerned about the status of the military assistance". She hesitated to call that summary "correct", and she was very specific that their language "what was going on with", which is much more general phrasing than being concerned over the status. Do you not see when he asks if they were concerned over the status, she answers "sir that's......... correct, I would specifically say..." Laura Cooper wasn't even confident they were concerned over the status when she gave that testimony, and wanted to be clear on the record about exactly what was said.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It is essentially taking the most favourable possible interpretation of events for Trump at every turn, even if improbable. It's a bit like having thirty, consecutive, 80:20 options, taking the 20 every time and arguing that's the most realistic end point.
Let's work with this. Because there are certainly lots of things in here where, in a vacuum, I would agree that I'm not taking the most likely interpretation. But these things aren't in a vacuum, nor are they in a series where each event just leads into the next. All these events exist in parallel, and provide hints towards one another, and if two 80s create a contradiction, you should be trying to figure out which one (if not both) is the 20. Like, coincidentally enough, 80:20 is almost exactly the mine density in expert minesweeper. One could describe that game as finding out where all the 20% probabilities landed. Your tactic is basically "every square is 80% to be clear, so I'll click them all". You are deciding to lose the game. You can say all you want that something isn't the most reasonable interpretation, but a lot of the time the most reasonable interpretation in a vacuum is an outright contradiction to the other information we have.

Take that "after [the call], I spoke to the defense minister." On its face, in a vacuum, Silvanus is reasonable to read that in the way he did. But when Zelensky has also said that he didn't know before that, he had no idea about the freeze, when he did find out he talked to Pence about it in Warsaw, the White House's summary of events matched his, and literally nobody reported that statement as "Zelensky found out about the freeze the day of the call", you should look at that "after [the call" and see that's not a clear square, that's a mine, that's the 20 percenter.

We can rest assured that reality isn't going to contradict itself, so the strategy for finding the truth should prioritize eliminating contradictions, which is going to require landing on some 20% options.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
and literally nobody reported that statement as "Zelensky found out about the freeze the day of the call"
It just doesn't matter whether Zelenskyy found out precisely on the day of the call: it's a nitpick of no relevance to the bigger picture people care about.

We can rest assured that reality isn't going to contradict itself, so the strategy for finding the truth should prioritize eliminating contradictions, which is going to require landing on some 20% options.
You're right: it does require some 20% options. Mathematically, about a fifth of the time. This does not adequately explain why you pick the 20% almost all the time.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You're right: it does require some 20% options. Mathematically, about a fifth of the time. This does not adequately explain why you pick the 20% almost all the time.
You don't think we agree on at least 80% of the facts of this case?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Most people resign because they don't like their boss. I imagine there's a good chance that's the case here.
So, more convenient presumption.

They quite literally did, or more specifically the need for one.
No, you've misrepresented what happened. Again.

Calling this a mere "extension" is a tactic to minimise what happened, as if a timetable was the only thing at risk. But the DOD and GAO both attest that it broke the ICA, and endangered the apportionment of funds.

I strongly disagree. She put special emphasis on the phrasing used. She did not simply agree to Schiff's language that the Ukrainian's were "concerned about the status of the military assistance". She hesitated to call that summary "correct", and she was very specific that their language "what was going on with", which is much more general phrasing than being concerned over the status. Do you not see when he asks if they were concerned over the status, she answers "sir that's......... correct, I would specifically say..." Laura Cooper wasn't even confident they were concerned over the status when she gave that testimony, and wanted to be clear on the record about exactly what was said.
Special emphasis on phrasing. Yes. She also strongly emphasised that the Ukrainians knew something was amiss, but you're wilfully overlooking that snippet.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
She also strongly emphasised that the Ukrainians knew something was amiss, but you're wilfully overlooking that snippet.
As far as I can tell, you are imagining this. She did not talk to Ukrainians about this, a member of her staff did. That staff member was asked "what is going on with assistance", and said they were moving forward with their part of it. That is what she testified about this inquiry by Ukraine, no more, no less. And she seems quite professional, I don't imagine I missed the part where she confidently made that much conjecture about a conversation somebody else had and relayed to her.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I can tell, you are imagining this. She did not talk to Ukrainians about this, a member of her staff did. That staff member was asked "what is going on with assistance", and said they were moving forward with their part of it. That is what she testified about this inquiry by Ukraine, no more, no less. And she seems quite professional, I don't imagine I missed the part where she confidently made that much conjecture about a conversation somebody else had and relayed to her.
That this would be your takeaway is frankly amazing to me, to the point where I have to wonder whether it's merely a clear blind spot, or if you're wilfully overlooking the substance of the interview.

----------

Adam Schiff: As early as July 25th, the same day President Trump spoke with President Zelenskyy on the phone and asked for this favour, the same day that President Zelenskyy thanked the United States for its military support and signalled it was ready to purchase more Javelins. On that date, you got enquiries-- your staff got enquiries from someone at the Ukrainian embassy who was concerned about the status of the military assistance. Is that correct?

Laura Cooper: Sir, that's correct, I would say that specifically the Ukrainian embassy staff asked 'what is going on with' Ukrainian security assistance.

Adam Schiff: And did that connote to you that they were concerned that something was, in fact, going on with it?

Laura Cooper: Yes, sir.

---------

There is no reasonable reading of this that leads us to a conclusion that Cooper is saying the Ukrainians just thought everything was as it was before. That would be a completely ridiculous interpretation. It's not even implication, it's spelled out that they had concerns something was happening to the assistance.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That this would be your takeaway is frankly amazing to me, to the point where I have to wonder whether it's merely a clear blind spot, or if you're wilfully overlooking the substance of the interview.

----------

Adam Schiff: As early as July 25th, the same day President Trump spoke with President Zelenskyy on the phone and asked for this favour, the same day that President Zelenskyy thanked the United States for its military support and signalled it was ready to purchase more Javelins. On that date, you got enquiries-- your staff got enquiries from someone at the Ukrainian embassy who was concerned about the status of the military assistance. Is that correct?

Laura Cooper: Sir, that's correct, I would say that specifically the Ukrainian embassy staff asked 'what is going on with' Ukrainian security assistance.

Adam Schiff: And did that connote to you that they were concerned that something was, in fact, going on with it?

Laura Cooper: Yes, sir.

---------

There is no reasonable reading of this that leads us to a conclusion that Cooper is saying the Ukrainians just thought everything was as it was before. That would be a completely ridiculous interpretation. It's not even implication, it's spelled out that they had concerns something was happening to the assistance.
That this would be your argument is frankly amazing to me, to the point where I have to wonder if it's merely ignorance on your part, or if you're willfully listening to Adam Schiff.

Step 1) Ignore Adam Schiff
Step 2) Ignore Adam Schiff
Step 3) Seriously, ignore Adam Schiff

Step 4) Good things also "go on".

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You don't think we agree on at least 80% of the facts of this case?
I think we largely agree on the raw information. But information also requires interpretation and analysis. It's your too frequent contorted or implausible interpretations I take issue with.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If your argument is nothing but an ad hominem, what is the point of it?

Adam Schiff asked a question, and got an answer that imparted information to us. That information matters. That you don't trust the person who asked the question matters not at all.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That this would be your argument is frankly amazing to me, to the point where I have to wonder if it's merely ignorance on your part, or if you're willfully listening to Adam Schiff.

Step 2) Ignore Adam Schiff
Step 3) Seriously, ignore Adam Schiff
No part of the argument rests on the credibility of the person asking the question. This is pure deflection.

Step 4) Good things also "go on".
Your contextual understanding of the English language cannot be this poor.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If your argument is nothing but an ad hominem, what is the point of it?

Adam Schiff asked a question, and got an answer that imparted information to us. That information matters. That you don't trust the person who asked the question matters not at all.
You should never trust any politician asking yes or no questions, they are an infamous tool for putting words into people's mouths in contrived ways.
You should never trust Adam Schiff, period.
Good things still also "go on".
I think we largely agree on the raw information. But information also requires interpretation and analysis. It's your too frequent contorted or implausible interpretations I take issue with.
You find my interpretations implausible and contorted because you you refuse to accept any explanation where people other than Donald Trump have agency over their own actions, which is your contorted view of things.
No part of the argument rests on the credibility of the person asking the question. This is pure deflection.
Oh, it does. Yes or no questions frequently force people into positions of giving misleading answers.

"Hey Silvanus, have you ever eaten a turd that you didn't enjoy?"
Your contextual understanding of the English language cannot be this poor.
If you can't read the sentence "What's going on with the security assistance in at least two different tones, you're really missing out on a lot of options in your communication." Like, you're telling me that the specific phrase "what is going on" has a strictly negative connotation.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You find my interpretations implausible and contorted because you you refuse to accept any explanation where people other than Donald Trump have agency over their own actions, which is your contorted view of things.
Firstly, Donald Trump implicated himself in things like his conversation with Zelenskyy, and implicated himself by sending Giuliani to dig dirt, by ordering Sondland to interfere in concert with Giuliani. So there is clear evidence of Trump's personal involvement in conspiracy. That's a baseline.

I have no problem with the idea that Giuliani is a loose cannon with poor judgement, that he wasn't telling Trump everything and even manipulating him. But the only reason Giuliani was causing havoc was because Trump bid him to: so that still comes back to Trump. It's not just that, either. Trump was sacking ambassadors on Giuliani's say-so and dedicating US government resources to assisting Giuliani. There's no coming back from that, because it wasn't just Giuliani's fuckery any more: Trump had overstepped by subordinating government business to his personal ends. Corruption 101.

For things like the funding hold, did Trump order that personally? There's no clear evidence. But the thing is, we have so much evidence of Trump's personal involvement at other parts of the conspiracy that he no longer merits the benefit of the doubt. And even if by some chance he didn't know or approve, those were his underlings making the decision in pursuit of his corrupt aims - so he bears responsibility anyway.

It is no suprise that many government employees at multiple points and levels saw this corrupt clusterfuck for what it was. It's one big conspiracy, and unavoidably at the centre of it is Donald Trump.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Firstly, Donald Trump implicated himself in things like his conversation with Zelenskyy, and implicated himself by sending Giuliani to dig dirt, by ordering Sondland to interfere in concert with Giuliani. So there is clear evidence of Trump's personal involvement in conspiracy. That's a baseline.

I have no problem with the idea that Giuliani is a loose cannon with poor judgement, that he wasn't telling Trump everything and even manipulating him. But the only reason Giuliani was causing havoc was because Trump bid him to: so that still comes back to Trump. It's not just that, either. Trump was sacking ambassadors on Giuliani's say-so and dedicating US government resources to assisting Giuliani. There's no coming back from that, because it wasn't just Giuliani's fuckery any more: Trump had overstepped by subordinating government business to his personal ends. Corruption 101.

For things like the funding hold, did Trump order that personally? There's no clear evidence. But the thing is, we have so much evidence of Trump's personal involvement at other parts of the conspiracy that he no longer merits the benefit of the doubt. And even if by some chance he didn't know or approve, those were his underlings making the decision in pursuit of his corrupt aims - so he bears responsibility anyway.

It is no suprise that many government employees at multiple points and levels saw this corrupt clusterfuck for what it was. It's one big conspiracy, and unavoidably at the centre of it is Donald Trump.
You should probably mention people from Ukraine, but they don't really mesh with your view of things. Better to just pretend they're all npcs, right?

Edit: I'll be less flippant: Giuliani was acting at the behest of Yuriy Letsenko. There is evidence of this, that he was pushing theories about the Bidens at the request of Yuriy Lutsenko.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, it does. Yes or no questions frequently force people into positions of giving misleading answers.

If you can't read the sentence "What's going on with the security assistance in at least two different tones, you're really missing out on a lot of options in your communication." Like, you're telling me that the specific phrase "what is going on" has a strictly negative connotation.
This is all just so, so weak. The mental gymnastics required to dip, dive, and dodge away from the clearly intended meaning is... is amazing.

It was a perfectly simple and valid question. To clarify whether she was saying the Ukrainians knew something was going on. She unambiguously says yes. They knew something was going on with the assistance.

There's nothing wrong with that question, and the answer is straightforward. You haven't been misled by it, and neither has Laura Cooper, because it's a normal human question and we're adults. I'm sorry that she gave an answer you don't want to hear, but that's what happened.

And the idea that "something was going on" translates to.... "everything was normal, that's what was 'going on'"-- I think that's the bit that takes the cake as the most pathetic prevarication of all. You know that people don't talk like that. You're stretching into complete moon-territory absurdity in the search for a reading to exonerate the party line.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And the idea that "something was going on" translates to.... "everything was normal, that's what was 'going on'"-- I think that's the bit that takes the cake as the most pathetic prevarication of all. You know that people don't talk like that. You're stretching into complete moon-territory absurdity in the search for a reading to exonerate the party line.
But nobody ever said "something is going on." The question "what is goin on with X" is a perfectly valid sentence for a simple status inquiry.

"Hey Bill, what is going on with the new construction?"
"Oh, we just poured the slab, the layout guys start work Tuesday. Getting ahead of schedule, at least for now."

That is an absolutely reasonable exchange. Like, "something was going on" at that moment could have very well meant the immediate release of funds. Other than Schiff inserting the word "concerned" into the exchange, none of her testimony gave any indication it was a negative interaction.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But nobody ever said "something is going on." The question "what is goin on with X" is a perfectly valid sentence for a simple status inquiry.

"Hey Bill, what is going on with the new construction?"
"Oh, we just poured the slab, the layout guys start work Tuesday. Getting ahead of schedule, at least for now."

That is an absolutely reasonable exchange.
And it's not the exchange that happened.

Perfectly valid question: And did that connote to you that they were concerned that something was, in fact, going on with it?

Unambiguous answer: Yes, sir.

There is no sane way to mangle this into your preferred interpretation. No sane way.