General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This looks to be nothing more than a glorified flex. All that big talk, but more than likely empty promises. This is doing something nobody asked for. Not even Nintendo would want it. And even if they were to succeed, hackers would still crack the code, or find another work around.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm guessing existing Denuvo customers might use it, tho I don't know that many that publish on Switch. Mostly Sega and Capcom, I think. And I guess Bethesda. That said, yes, it'll probably get beaten sooner or later, meaning pirates will likely once again enjoy a better experience than paying customers. Which brings me to this little gem of a sentence in their press release:
Applying Nintendo Switch Emulation Protection will also help you protect your title against bad reviews.
Ok, how?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss..............

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man, I have so many fond memories of Time Crisis and Crisis Zone in the arcades. Some of the best light-gun games to ever come out- especially Crisis Zone and its Steyr TMP with 40-round magazine, as well as enemies that reacted to being shot far more believably than most games you see even today.
Playing Crisis Zone for the first time at Dave & Buster's in 1999, at the age of 9 was a real experience. I felt like I was in a hybrid John Woo, American movie. Sometimes I would aim the TMP sideways, gangsta style. It did not help that much, but it was so cool doing it.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Hey a man's gotta grift.

District 9 director Neill Blomkamp is making a video game! I knew that. But what I didn't know is it's one of those blockchain / NFT games.

Sigh.

This evening's The Future Games Show ended with a fancy CGI trailer showing off the world of Off the Grid, a free-to-play third-person shooter battle royale from new developer Gunzilla Games.

The trailer, below, is very Neill Blomkamp, with sci-fi soldiers in super serious combat mode. Yes, the faces have uncanny valley written all over them, but I'm getting a District 9 vibe and that's all good with me.

A District 9-looking battle royale from Neill Blomkamp! That sounds exciting, right? Unfortunately, while researching this write-up of the trailer, I came across a press release from Gunzilla posted 9th August that announced the company had raised a bunch of money from investors - and in the same breath confirmed Off the Grid is a blockchain / NFT game.

Sigh.

Off the Grid players can buy and trade in-game items, and yes, trading will be handled by a blockchain marketplace that supports NFTs. It's all part of Gunzilla's appropriately-named GunZ platform.

Eurogamer Newscast: Gamescom Opening Night Live special
Gunzilla insists it will never sell NFTs directly to players or hide progression behind a paywall, promising "trading is entirely optional".

"We are striving to provide players with complete freedom in every detail of OTG, and with each step of its gameplay," Gunzilla boss Vlad Korolev comments in the note to press.

"In OTG additionally to the core gameplay, players will be able to own and trade their in-game items with other players. As well as assure players that their hard-earned items remain theirs to keep, no matter what.

"In today's free-to-play games, if you pay for something, it isn't yours. You do not, and cannot, own anything. Anyone can read the EULA of any game to verify this. If you're banned, for example, any item can be taken away from you, even if your ban is accidental. When you stop playing any free-to-play game, the money you've put in also disappears.

"We are re-inventing the system, putting the power back in the hands of gamers, and are using blockchain technology to make this happen. With OTG and GunZ, we are creating a universe that will set a new standard for the industry."

Bold claims indeed! But Gunzilla's press release avoids commenting on the environmental impact of the blockchain. It's worth remembering the blockchain industry is creating significant carbon emission, and in the US is even contributing to rising utility bills.

Back to "Chief Visionary Officer" Neill Blomkamp and Off the Grid, which is supposedly coming out on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X and S in 2023. As IGN pointed out when it covered the confirmation of blockchain in the game earlier this month, "during our interview with him [Blomkamp], he didn't mention that it would have NFTs."

Sigh.
(He hasn't)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hey a man's gotta grift.
(He hasn't)
Neil is nothing more than a one-hit wonder. No one is going to buy or be invested in his dumb shit, aside from a few fools with too much time or money on their hands. Elyisum is a C-List Battle Angel clone, and Chappy plain sucked. The man has not done anything of note worth since then. His scheme smells of desperation.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm suprised anyone remembers the game. Even more they want to reboot it. Wasn't it one of those Soulslikes that tried to cash in after Dark Souls hit it big and really didn't impress anyone?

I guess there's a small dedicated community of Lords of the Fallen fans who were waiting for this so good for them, I guess.

I was gonna ask why but then I found out someone is doing a sequel to "Ferris Buellers day off" and realized....you know what, sure, why not?
Of all the soul borne clone that came out over the year, lord of the fallen was one of the better one. It wasn't anywhere near as good as an atcual soulsborne, but has there been any of the clone that could say they were?

Say I wouldn't I'm particularly happy about it but I'll probably buy it at some point and will probably enjoy it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Have you ever dreamed of running your own redneck empire?

The spell animations actually look really cool. Sort of reminds me of infamous gameplay. But good god, dialog and facial animation look lifeless. Which is ironic considering both the city and the wilderness look lively. The enemy designs are nice as well

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gungrave G.O.R.E. is the latest chapter of the singular action franchise, which became famous in the early 2000s thanks to its irreverent and, at times, even trashy style. However IGGYMOB itself, the South Korean development studio in charge of the development management of the title, admits that it does not want to part with the original charm that has fascinated millions of fans, waiting for its return. We at Ruetir.com had the pleasure of trying the title published by PLAION during an exclusive event, held during the fair, curious to continue following the development of the title.

Gungrave G.O.R.E.
Gungrave GORE: devastation on a large scale

We got to play the first twenty minutes or so of Gungrave GORE, and therefore what (probably) should be the first level, with attached boss.
After less than two minutes inside the video game we find ourselves already shooting at our enemies who, unfortunately, find themselves in front of our path. What convinced us in Gungrave GORE is definitely the gameplay, also because it is evident that the focus of the developers went mainly in this sector. We will have numerous attacks and ways to annihilate the hordes of opponents that hinder us, from simple firearms, up to special attacks that allow us to wipe out everyone with rockets.

We have not had the opportunity to deepen much of the narrative sector, mainly because the title seems to focus more on the playful phase, but also for the fact that the demo wanted to show us more than anything else the pitfalls that will await us in a standard level of Gungrave GORE.
There are so many ways to annihilate enemies that it is impossible to mention them all: gunshots, chains that drag enemies to us and melee attacks with our “portable coffin” are just some of the choices available to us.

RELEASE DATE: AUTUMN 2022
PIATTAFORME: PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC
DEVELOPER: Iggymob
PUBLISHER: Plaion
The only thing that didn’t convince us that much was the boss, a result that was all too simple and, in general, the whole experience seems to be aimed more at button smashing than at having ambitions for complex combat systems. We want to think that it is at least partly the fault of the demo version tested, in which the difficulty was set to a minimum and our Grave was at a higher level than it should, in a purely introductory phase of the title. However, until the release of the full title we are unable to give a complete opinion on the experience, so we just have to wait for the announcement date to find out what Gungrave GORE has in store for us.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am excited for both games right now. We have GoT in China with wuxia, and another new hack n slash game that goes for 2.5D platforming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

The spell animations actually look really cool. Sort of reminds me of infamous gameplay. But good god, dialog and facial animation look lifeless. Which is ironic considering both the city and the wilderness look lively. The enemy designs are nice as well
The exploration aspect looks pretty neat, but I'm worried it'll just be the usual where everything you need to find is highlighted on the map and the parkour is so easy you might as well just point the analogue stick in one direction (ie assasin creed) and so there's no reason to explore the open world aspect and it might as well just be a lonear corridor.

But yeah narrative element looks yesh. I have a feeling I'm going to hate the main character (like most isekai).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks like Naughty Dog retconned Sarah to be an alien now.

The-Last-of-Us-Part-I-Launch-Trailer-_-PS5-Games-1-31-screenshot.png

Maybe this was meant to make her look more like the actress who played her at the time, but oof...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'd probably be pissed at the news if I could find one to buy.
Yup, yup. Same. Unless I get some bundle with Horizon, a game I'm not interested in, and two extra dualsenses, which I don't need, for like €700 (~1000 AUD). Correction, that'd be €750 now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hmm, everyone shafted except the US. Feels very 90's.
PlayStation. For the payers.
Really Sony? Good luck getting more sales than in foreign countries with those outrageous prices. They're even doing their own country dirty. How the fuck does that work? I know the Switch has 99% of the console market in Japan, but once again, Sony acts like ungrateful bastards to those that got them up top in the first place.

Reactions: Dalisclock