General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I do if they're supposed to be informing me about shit.
i mean lying in the sense of like, "Oh I love this game, it has X,y,z blah blah blah." When she doesn't actually play games.

Not lying like, "Kratos is the God of Bananas and swings his turtle around to kill Bowser."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
i mean lying in the sense of like, "Oh I love this game, it has X,y,z blah blah blah." When she doesn't actually play games.
Good people and reviewers like Sphere Hunter how full of shit and shallow such methods are. They're only temporary feelings to make you a person feel better at such base level. Only hearing what you want to hear, or think you want to hear. That's the part of the reason why X-Play died the first time around.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Splinter Cell and that KOTOR remake are both in some dev trouble. Which confuses me because how hard can the development decisions behind, "Make this exact thing but prettier." be?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Splinter Cell and that KOTOR remake are both in some dev trouble. Which confuses me because how hard can the development decisions behind, "Make this exact thing but prettier." be?
KOTOR, I have no idea what they are doing to mess up so badly. Ubisoft? It's Ubisoft. All of their talent is left or is leaving (similar to Blizzard), and they let sex offenders walk with a pat on the back. Nothing surprising me when it comes to them. Glad I stopped buying their games a decade ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, to be fair, KOTOR really needs a new Engine. The gameplay hasn't aged super well since it came out, but that really shouldn't be a problem to remake it in a new engine with more responsive gameplay.. So I have no clue.

Haven't played Splinter Cell so no comment.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It’s tough. Really tough, when Ubisoft has all kinds of new monetization techniques and progression bloat to implement.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Two other shit going down on twitter;

First, amouranth, a twitch streamer infamous for her sex appeals, admitted that she was in fact married, and her husband's been abusive. Verbal abuse, taking her earnings, threatening her, forcing her to lie about her relationship to her viewers, etc.

Second, Roosterteeth, one of the pioneers of machinima and other game-related entertainment company, was exposed to their frat boy culture, underpaying or not paying the contract workers, and HR being useless. This was all brought to the light by one of the recent ex-employees

Man, I guess the world would never be free of shitty people

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Two other shit going down on twitter;

First, amouranth, a twitch streamer infamous for her sex appeals, admitted that she was in fact married, and her husband's been abusive. Verbal abuse, taking her earnings, threatening her, forcing her to lie about her relationship to her viewers, etc.

Second, Roosterteeth, one of the pioneers of machinima and other game-related entertainment company, was exposed to their frat boy culture, underpaying or not paying the contract workers, and HR being useless. This was all brought to the light by one of the recent ex-employees

Man, I guess the world would never be free of shitty people
It's a whole thread about the Amouranth thing in Current Events already.

Dunno bout the Rooster Teeth thing.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't get it. How much are people supposed to make per project? Because the Union pay standard of $1000 per 4 hours of work sounds really fucking good to me. Are they expecting Hollywood actor levels of pay for roles, because that's never going to happen. Voice actors matter in a game, but voice actors are not the driving force behind what sells a game. You don't buy Bayonetta because so-and-so is in it, you're buying the game because the gameplay appeals to you or it looks cool.

If anything the game develops need to make more money.

I really don't understand these people, it's like when Youtubers and streamers complain about ad revenue going down. Okay, then get a job. If you aren't getting enough voice acting work to sustain you, then get another job. Or hustle your voice talents better to get more jobs. Something.

How many hours does it take for a voice actor to record all their lines for a full length game, assuming they are the star of the game say Geralt in Witcher 3. How long did that take? 40? 50 hours? Which if you break it down would be like $10k for 1 week's worth of work. That's fucking amazing I have to work for three months to make that kind of cash. What's the fucking problem then?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't get it. How much are people supposed to make per project? Because the Union pay standard of $1000 per 4 hours of work sounds really fucking good to me. Are they expecting Hollywood actor levels of pay for roles, because that's never going to happen. Voice actors matter in a game, but voice actors are not the driving force behind what sells a game. You don't buy Bayonetta because so-and-so is in it, you're buying the game because the gameplay appeals to you or it looks cool.

I really don't understand these people, it's like when Youtubers and streamers complain about ad revenue going down. Okay, then get a job. If you aren't getting enough voice acting work to sustain you, then get another job. Or hustle your voice talents better to get more jobs. Something.

How many hours does it take for a voice actor to record all their lines for a full length game, assuming they are the star of the game say Geralt in Witcher 3. How long did that take? 40? 50 hours? Which if you break it down would be like $10k for 1 week's worth of work. That's fucking amazing I have to work for three months to make that kind of cash. What's the fucking problem then?
Companies like Nintendo can more than afford it. They are partially blame, but the union for voice actors does such a poor job of protecting the people with the talent. When the industry finds voice actors disposable and feel like any one of them he's a replace, that shows that a majority of them are not appreciated but the very elite few. Given all the horror stories coming out, it's not the voice actors fault for wanting more for when either working on big franchises or doing lots of hours, but yet getting so little. Having something you're not getting. Why or how when it's already been explained before doesn't the times is beyond me. This is an industry problem whole wide.

I can't talk anymore right now, cuz I got something going on in the phone so I'll be out for a while.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

I'm guessing there's a lot of down time between project. So they might work just 4 hours for that 1000$, but that might be all they get for the month.

That would mean its reasonable to ask for more since they need to live in the downtime, but it might also be a sign that the voice acting industry is bloated with too many people in/trying to get in with a low barrier to entry.

Personally, I don't care about VA (I don't even really consciently notice if a game as VA most of the time) and I care even less for celebrity. So the idea of a game spending a small fortune to hire specific VA is kind crazy to me and I'd much rather that money go toward other aspect of the game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm guessing there's a lot of down time between project. So they might work just 4 hours for that 1000$, but that might be all they get for the month.
I mean that's why you need a side job. When you have to work contract to contract, you have to have side jobs to keep yourself going. It's not the industry's job to keep you paid or working once your job for them is over.

Personally, I don't care about VA (I don't even really consciently notice if a game as VA most of the time) and I care even less for celebrity. So the idea of a game spending a small fortune to hire specific VA is kind crazy to me and I'd much rather that money go toward other aspect of the game.
I do think VO actor's rightfully get mad when the studio hires a Kevin Spacey instead of them. Hollywood actors have very little place in video game work imo because that's just not their strong point. Most big name actors do a shitty job, most likely because they feel like the money and the project isn't worth their time and they're right.

However that doesn't mean that someone should get paid $100k for doing a voice in a game either. Nobody is forcing these people to VO in games, they all sign a contract upfront and agree to the compensation for that job. Frankly it's fucking entitlement and shitty to come out publicly after the fact and complain about the contract YOU signed.

The big name VO actors are the exceptional in a sea of just w/e people you've never heard of. The same way A-list Hollywood actors are a small percentage of shitloads of other actors you've never heard of. Just because Tom Hanks makes 10 Mill from a movie doesn't mean the guy who played the Villian in Bloodsport should also get 10 million.

Reactions: meiam

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It doesnt strike me as Hale knowing the situation, if the claims are true. Most industry people tend to not step on other people's toes, especially when the work is so contract based job to job. Because you never know if shoving someone aside for a job will come back to bite you on later projects.

So if something shitty happened, Hale probably didnt know about it and just took the offered job like any other game she does.

I work in a business where people get reputations and if you try to knock off a competitor or pull some shady deals, word gets around and it will shoot you in the foot. So that's why i think Hale is just a bystander in this.

Reactions: FakeSympathy