General Gaming News.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So the only option for these execs, if they were actually smart (big “if”), would be to not even fucking bother. I mean for realz, have they been completely oblivious as to how half-baked/greed-fueled projects wind up in this industry? Are they even aware of Metacritic User Scores or Kotaku? Bloody hell.
I'm guessing they're all too aware that license game usually make a couple of millions sales no matter the quality and they don't really care beyond that. Brand don't get damaged because a couple of game with them really suck, if superman 64 didn't kill superman, nothing will.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Cliff started off as a decent guy, but let the fame go to his head when Gear of War 2 became a bigger hit than the first game. Then insert Lawbreakers....

Cliff has book now, but I don't know anything about it reception wise. Not paying for the damn thing regardless, and I will never read the book. Because fuck him.

And to think he actually thought lawbreakers was gonna do better than spiderman ps4….

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Haven't read the article, but I can guess why. It got pretty much no marketing push or media coverage. Much like Uncharted, which afaik also had significantly lower numbers than the other Sony ports, tho not quite that bad. Like, while anecdotal, I'm mainly a pc gamer and didn't even know it was coming to pc until your post. Also, releasing a port in a period with a bunch of high profile releases, one of which is a fucking CoD, is generally considered a bad move.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I do like his response to this back when Epic was promoting UE4 -

What impact do you think Unreal Engine 4 will have on bridging the gap between Hollywood and games?

Part of the problem with the previous generation of games on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 is that we seemed, as creators, to be so obsessed with being the director of a scripted experience. I would love it for the industry to get more towards the player being more the star in these experiences. I go back to Warren Spector’s quote from GDC when he got his award and he said we seem so obsessed with showing gamers how creative we are as creators, as opposed to letting them show us how creative they can be in the games. That’s just been one of the studio’s mantras I’ve had lately.

Probably his most humble moment.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It was utter hubris to think it was going to do anything other than crash and burn. "I'm Cliff Bleszinski and people will pour money down my throat for any shit I put out!"

I mean, fuckin' Radical Heights, man....
Really though, the Crowbcat vid made it seem like everyone who played it was bonkers over it. Guess it was just the “hurrdest of the hurdcurrrre” crowd.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Really though, the Crowbcat vid made it seem like everyone who played it was bonkers over it. Guess it was just the “hurrdest of the hurdcurrrre” crowd.

Most of those people were nothing, but glorified hype men and women. A few thousand people, don't make up for the entire gaming sphere. It still doesn't change the fact Cliff made false promises and lied about what his game would be. He was really amping up the whole "it's only $29.99!", after saying it would no longer be free to play.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Most of those people were nothing, but glorified hype men and women. A few thousand people, don't make up for the entire gaming sphere. It still doesn't change the fact Cliff made false promises and lied about what his game would be. He was really amping up the whole "it's only $29.99!", after saying it would no longer be free to play.
I like point 6. in the crappy games article -

6. Cliff Bleszinski, the lead developer who has a reputation for acting like a douche to many people, often said very egotistical things during interviews like declaring the game "a billion dollar franchise" before it even came out, calling the game "The Dark Souls of First Person Shooters", stating that the game wouldn't be ported to Xbox One because Xbox players "are Salty fanboys" and because he believes that the Xbox brand sucks (ironic given that his most successful games were the Gears of War games on the Xbox 360), and claiming that all PC players pirate their games. Cliff's arrogant comments discouraged many people who could've formed possible fanbase from wanting to support his new game.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Let's also not forget this bonehead also tried one last effort to cash-in on battle royale trend with radical heights, which may have been the final nail in the coffin that shut down his company!

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Let's also not forget this bonehead also tried one last effort to cash-in on battle royale trend with radical heights, which may have been the fiunal nail in the coffin that shut down his company!
Cliff is just another John Ramero who made a good game once, and thought they were hotshit for it, but in the end they were a one-hit wonder with only stupid ideas left in the tank.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cliff is just another John Ramero who made a good game once, and thought they were hotshit for it, but in the end they were a one-hit wonder with only stupid ideas left in the tank.
These guys keep forgetting it's a team effort too. Romero was only one part of the equation for the classic Doom games. Midway proved they could do a Doom game without Carmack (still a cool dude) or Romero (at least learned more humility compared to Cliff). The only reason Carmack left after the Doom games and Quake series, was because he was disgusted with what was happening at iD Software at the time. Another example of egotistical douche game designer that thinks they're the hottest crap on the block after one or two games is David Jaffe.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
To be fair, he was also a lead designer on the early Unreal games, Bulletstorm and Fortnite. I wasn’t aware he left Epic over Tencent’s involvement. He was also apparently insanely good at SMB which led to an appearance in Nintendo Power as a kid.

On one hand he has douchey tendencies, but on the other losing a dad at fifteen is really shitty for anyone.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On one hand he has douchey tendencies, but on the other losing a dad at fifteen is really shitty for anyone.
It still doesn't excuse (I know you're not excusing him) Cliff, nor acting like a ungrateful jackass to the people who got him where he was or help him get where he was. Dumbass bit it real hard, when he started insulting the Microsoft and Xbox fan base. The people who bought all those Gears of War games.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It still doesn't excuse (I know you're not excusing him) Cliff, nor acting like a ungrateful jackass to the people who got him where he was or help him get where he was. Dumbass bit it real hard, when he started insulting the Microsoft and Xbox fan base. The people who bought all those Gears of War games.
For sure. You’d think he’d know better by that point.