General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Remember when i said i only watch quartering for entertainment? He’s terrible takes makes me laugh, like this one

Granted, the term “modern reimagining” leaves it for an open interpretation, but doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be pure woke.
and i read the particular article myself; Not a single mention of drastic changes or retcon for the sake of modern audience.

what a dipshit

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Granted, the term “modern reimagining” leaves it for an open interpretation, but doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be pure woke.
and i read the particular article myself; Not a single mention of drastic changes or retcon for the sake of modern audience.
Yes but critical analysis doesn't lend itself to crying out "Go woke, go broke!"

The only thing that's not gameplay related I could see them cutting out are the 'conquest cards' you get everytime Geralt has sexytimes... Mostly because they're not featured in the sequels but also because of the cringe factor.

As I said before, I think this is going to basically be TW1 with the gameplay changed to match that of the sequels. The reasons for that are: one, so that fans of the series who just bounced off the sublime eurojankiness and obsolete gameplay of the first game can play the story through without the disconnect of how different it plays from the sequels. Two, with so many assets already available it lets CDPR see how the Unreal 5 works with their concepts of gameplay and so on in a much shorter timeframe. Yeah, I know another dev is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on this but CDPR will be playing close attention to what works and what doesn't.

Not going to be happy if they replace dice poker with gwent though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yes but critical analysis doesn't lend itself to crying out "Go woke, go broke!"

The only thing that's not gameplay related I could see them cutting out are the 'conquest cards' you get everytime Geralt has sexytimes... Mostly because they're not featured in the sequels but also because of the cringe factor.

As I said before, I think this is going to basically be TW1 with the gameplay changed to match that of the sequels. The reasons for that are: one, so that fans of the series who just bounced off the sublime eurojankiness and obsolete gameplay of the first game can play the story through without the disconnect of how different it plays from the sequels. Two, with so many assets already available it lets CDPR see how the Unreal 5 works with their concepts of gameplay and so on in a much shorter timeframe. Yeah, I know another dev is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on this but CDPR will be playing close attention to what works and what doesn't.

Not going to be happy if they replace dice poker with gwent though.
I think on the recent breakout, one of them(Jesse?) Suggested keeping the cards in but letting Geralt romance and get cards from anyone in the game.

ANYONE.

Which honestly I can see a little bit of appeal there. That hobo? Yep. Dandelion? Of course. That swamp beast? Wierd but sure, why not if that's your kink.

I do have to wander about the reaction to Geralt getting cards for seducing the Cthulhu creature from the lake in the later game.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think on the recent breakout, one of them(Jesse?) Suggested keeping the cards in but letting Geralt romance and get cards from anyone in the game.

ANYONE.

Which honestly I can see a little bit of appeal there. That hobo? Yep. Dandelion? Of course. That swamp beast? Wierd but sure, why not if that's your kink.

I do have to wander about the reaction to Geralt getting cards for seducing the Cthulhu creature from the lake in the later game.
I mean I dont think removing the fucking is in the spirit of The Witcher, so the best solution is fuck anything that moves!? That way you can be whatever sexual you want. Seems like the better compromise. I can't wait to explore my Squiduality.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
No
Who said removing the fucking?
Now that you mention it, I'm a little shocked CDPr hasn't made a Witcher dating sim. They made GWENT its own thing and the shipping crowd is always out there. If I've learned anything it's that shipping is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Now that you mention it, I'm a little shocked CDPr hasn't made a Witcher dating sim. They made GWENT its own thing and the shipping crowd is always out there. If I've learned anything it's that shipping is SERIOUS BUSINESS.
All 3 Witcher games are dating sims... they're just extremely violent ones.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Speaking of bad choices. Henry was PERFECT as Geralt. Liam.....pffftttt.

They might as well just end the show then. Especially if this bullshit is true -

Really, there’s got to be at least enough solid writers that are actually fans to keep the show going without the need to resort to some contemptuous bastards. I wonder what it was they didn’t like. Can only guess it had more to do with subject matter than writing style.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They might as well just end the show then. Especially if this bullshit is true -

Really, there’s got to be at least enough solid writers that are actually fans to keep the show going without the need to resort to some contemptuous bastards. I wonder what it was they didn’t like. Can only guess it had more to do with subject matter than writing style.
I feel like this is the case for the vast majority of these "nerdy" shows. She-Hulks writer said she wanted to make a sex positive show that kids could watch. Also she didnt care about She-Hulk as a character.

What i dont understand is if you are taking an established character why do these people constantly want to fuck with the character. They make all these changes and then complain that fans of the characters and universe are mad.

Like are they stupid? They must be stupid. Especially to think that fans will somehow love their stupid pandery show.

How hard is it for these studios to get writers that know the source material?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like this is the case for the vast majority of these "nerdy" shows. She-Hulks writer said she wanted to make a sex positive show that kids could watch. Also she didnt care about She-Hulk as a character.

What i dont understand is if you are taking an established character why do these people constantly want to fuck with the character. They make all these changes and then complain that fans of the characters and universe are mad.

Like are they stupid? They must be stupid. Especially to think that fans will somehow love their stupid pandery show.

This is nothing new to Hollywood and TV at large. Stuff like this has been going on since the 70s and earlier. Spielberg hated the book for Jaws, because the characters are so hateful and unlikeable. First Blood changed Rambo's entire character to be more sympathetic and show the horrors Vietnam veterans went though they got home. Paul Voorheen hated the Starship Troopers novel. Tim Burton and some of his cronies still hates the character Robin (be it Dick Grayson or someone else) and the idea of Robin. It's why Robin does not show up in Batman (1989), nor Returns. What does not help is that many live-action directors of Batman projects either don't know how to use the character, are insecure, or WB/DC are insecure themselves and will almost only use other parts of the Bat Family in animated medium and video games.

Hell, the directors of Street Fighter (1994) and Double Dragon (1994) were completely indifferent to the characters of each respective franchise. Not helping matters was Capcom barely cared, and Technos was whoring off their franchise to whoever, and it really bit them in the ass and caused them to go bankrupt by the early 2000s.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is nothing new to Hollywood and TV at large. Stuff like this has been going on since the 70s and earlier. Spielberg hated the book for Jaws, because the characters are so hateful and unlikeable. First Blood changed Rambo's entire character to be more sympathetic and show the horrors Vietnam veterans went though they got home. Paul Voorheen hated the Starship Troopers novel. Tim Burton and some of his cronies still hates the character Robin (be it Dick Grayson or someone else) and the idea of Robin. It's why Robin does not show up in Batman (1989), nor Returns. What does not help is that many live-action directors of Batman projects either don't know how to use the character, are insecure, or WB/DC are insecure themselves and will almost only use other parts of the Bat Family in animated medium and video games.

Hell, the directors of Street Fighter (1994) and Double Dragon (1994) were completely indifferent to the characters of each respective franchise. Not helping matters was Capcom barely cared, and Technos was whoring off their franchise to whoever, and it really bit them in the ass and caused them to go bankrupt by the early 2000s.
I suppose the difference or the lesson in that is, if you are going to change the source material you better be a damn good writer. The problem i think is that these people writer with either a moral agenda or even worse they writer without an outline or plan of where shit is going. It just ends up as meandering and it makes the characters feel random.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Squeenix, oh squeenix. Sit the fuck down and get yourself a cleanix.

Sorry, what I meant was: Blockchain has fuck all, I repeat, fuck bugger all to do with whether your games are global hits or not.

In a financial report that confirmed Square Enix has "set new records for full-year net sales", the Japanese company says it wants to "enhance [its] presence in the global market" given the "graying demographics" for developing games primarily for the Japanese market.

In the statement, Square Enix said it was "critical for [its] business that [it] produce hit titles that speak to the global market".

"For our Group to better focus on developing titles for the global market in this changing environment, we need to concentrate our limited resources on the development of strong and robust titles," the company said.

"We need to enhance our presence in the global market by quickly establishing an organisational structure that enables us to consistently roll out high-quality content produced through selective and focused resource allocation, which requires the revamping of our title and studio portfolio.

“Achieving major growth in the game industry is difficult now for companies that compete primarily in the Japanese market, given its graying demographics. As such, it is critical for our business that we produce hit titles that speak to the global market, which offers greater scale in terms of both customers and sales volumes,” Square Enix added (thanks, NME).

"In other words, the Japanese market is no longer sufficient for achieving a level of earnings that enables us to recoup our development investment and generate a profit, and we therefore need to approach our development efforts based on the assumption that we have to succeed in the global market."

President Yosuke Matsuda further added that he believes "blockchain entertainment" will "play a key part of [SE's] strategy for future growth", adding that the company had "identified AI, the cloud, and blockchain as focus investment areas".

Just weeks after confirming it was selling off its western studios and IP to Embracer Group for $300m, Square Enix revealed plans to "establish new studios" and acquire others.

The news came as part of the company's recent financial presentation, which revealed that one of Square Enix's "medium-term business strategy" initiatives is to "boost game development capabilities by establishing new studios, [mergers and acquisitions], etc."

The company said that the "objectives behind divestiture of select overseas studios and IP" - that is, the reason why it sold off its three western studios - was to "achieve sustained growth through selection and concentration of company sources, better align overseas publishing function with organisation in Tokyo, and transform group business portfolio".

Kojima's favourite band front man just like died.

1667139132274.png

Hideo Kojima has posted a tribute to Ryan Karazija, the lead singer and founder of Low Roar whose work many of us know from Kojima's atmospheric Death Stranding soundtrack.

Karazija died over the weekend at just 40 years old "after a short illness" due to complications from pneumonia.

Death Stranding - FULL OFFICIAL ALBUM SOUNDTRACK (Deluxe Edition).

"I heard the news. I can't believe it. I don't want to believe it," Kojima tweeted.

"Without Ryan, without you and your music, Death Stranding would not have been born. Your music will live forever in this world and in me. Thank you. Rest in peace."

"After a short illness, Ryan Karazija, front man and driving force behind Low Roar, has died at age 40 due to complications from pneumonia," explains a brief statement on the band's Facebook page.

"His beautiful music and lyrics, sung in his haunting voice have touched the lives of so many people all over the world, and will continue to do so. He was a kind and beautiful soul and our worlds are shattered by the loss of him. May we honour his memory through his art and hold him forever in his songs.

"The sixth Low Roar record was already underway and will be completed and released when it is ready. Please respect his family’s privacy at this incredibly difficult time.

"Sometimes you feel like this is never ending, but we all fade away..."
Pneumonia is a sneaky bastard.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I suppose the difference or the lesson in that is, if you are going to change the source material you better be a damn good writer.
Yep.

The problem i think is that these people writer with either a moral agenda or even worse they writer without an outline or plan of where shit is going.
Once again, nothing new for the industry. See again with the Starship Troopers example. Vorheen hated the book because it portrayed fascism in a positive light. Though apparently, he barely got through the first chapter before putting it down. He tried to show the negative effects of such a society in his book, but it went way over nearly everyone's heads and backfired for the time. He still ended being right with certain predictions and how people/governments use war to others non deserving or to further justify the abuse of people for just being different. Kick Ass had the characters be more sympathetic, because nearly everyone in the original comic book are assholes and none are worth caring about. When Kick Ass 2 became truer to the text, the reception was super mixed (I did not like it, and most fans of the movie like to pretend only the first one exists). Wanted (comic) had many things changed for its film adaption, due to the lack of technology (a villain is made out of literal shit), and the original IP being nothing more than supervillains vs. worse supervillains. With a main character that is an out and proud rapist. Both of these comic book works were written by Mark Millar, and most of his works are dark, edge lord bullshit.

The Crow, while still dark, made Eric different from his comic counterpart. He's less suicidal and less self-destructive. He talks to others how nothing is trivial and how we should cherish every moment. This ended up working out for the better overall.

Hence why they're called adaptions. You take what works. What doesn't work you either remove, or put a new or better context in place. Not everything is 1-to-1 as this does not always work.

Gamertrek

Oct 20, 2022

I am going to tell you the truth about writers. These people are in fake positions and because it is their job to understand the content of the show and fill gaps they are willing to do just that.

The reality with many fictional works or even non-fictional works is that they are censored. Like that movie where the aliens walk backwards and made the world hot or even that "MIB episode that parody the same episode by launching the alien into the sun. That is the ultimate truth.

Marvel-DC actors brag and say "We are not comic book people and do not take any of this seriously" it is basically the same argument where "StarWars" Han Solo actor would repetitively say "Nobody will remember me for any of my other roles nore cares about this role but this is my most popular role and warns actors of how nothing else will pick them up" parallel to "Tank Girl" actress and actually loving the blazes out of her time on screen.

Writers brag and say "We are not comic book people and do not take any of this seriously", which runs into Kevin Smith which is a comic-book person and actually was allowed to write various material in films and publisher licensed books, to Rob Scarob or Doug Tanapel who both admitted "Hollywood does not have comic book people direct movies" so they had to become Hollywood minded people, which went from presenting scripts, failing, making channel101 ( which pre-dated Youtube ), being featured not only for comics, graphic novels, and books they made in interviews, doing stand-up ( which literally starts in college clubs rooms ), cross-dressing, working with Sarah Silverman and making people forget she is not funny stand alone, to somehow doing the opening of the oscars ( If you can remember that ).

These hollywood writers are not their to write something that was illustrated, drawn, and made for whoever wants to read it. They are the same people in college who complained about comic-books and created the "graphic novel" term which eventually falls into "independent" category. Hollywood term of comics is the same out-dated term it would mean for a person who never read a comic, cartoon, manga or graphic novel in their lives. Action-comics and that is it.

It is the same reason why "Animaniacs" reboot fails. They stripped it of everything and left us with an ugly burnt-out woman at a first glance would be considered black-gay-Jewish, but in the end they just installed her with a daughter ( which is a miniature/charcuterie/chibi version of herself and would actual meant to replace the boss of the studio in terms of size ) and made sure everyone knew her entire family are Italian and she is the youngest and thus most beautiful of her siblings ( despite looking breastless, and just plain moe-pugly via default ). I could line her up with "Hello Nurse" and clearly from a "The Kings New Clothing" perspective realize that is one of the most moe-pugly characters ever designed.

Take She-hulk. Shehulk by default is an over-sexed character. Her libido, mojo, or whatever rises like crazy when she transforms from her nerdish, breastless, thin, scrawny, meatless self. She-hulk is basically the question we all wanted to know in terms of a fit girl ( like a wrestler, swimmer, martial artist, runner, various sports or Bailet or X dancer, palliates etc ), in comparison to somebody who just starves themselves and do not even do any workouts, and has flab hanging out for life. That is what She-hulk is about. What if that breastless, aresless, girl with no curves and who only gain is playing the lolita card, working her mouth and anus, having a source of high-income was actually to break out of that body and becomes full all over, like some kind of corn-stalk transforming into a great big tree of a woman. It is like the petite-model v. Model v. Super-model v. the Nurse/Teacher/Policewoman v. Physiologist/Lawyer/Physician v. Retailer/Babysitter/cosplay and so forth method of thinking. She-Hulk is someodies sister to their brother mentality. They both are lame, arseless, stereotypical nerdy, and boom they break-out into this Dr. Jeckle and Mister Hyde scenario. That is why She-Hulk is the way she is.

Writer comes along and is like "could I do "Batwoman" not "Batgirl" because she is out-dated and not a lesbian. Besides she is a cops daughter who sleeps around with guys in tights that is not mutant lizards and rats"

The king of people ( like me in the past when I was a kid ) watching this material in the movies and going "wow X-men on the big screen I wonder how they will make this work out with the comic" only to get an entire saga of books smushed into two hours or less, not even validating my ticket price. Then I have to hear the actors mock, tease, and carry on like the stereotypical-jock arch-type about how they do not like or represent any of this at all.

It is like when you go on Instagram and saw some white, egg-headed, model with some kid she made with somebody who "funded" her career what is clearly a rent-a-house and her boyfriend who is a big-black ( super dark )-bald-dude who is also a model posing with blondes who does not look as stereotypical as she is. Then you see her sons room ( which is basically a big closet in the house ) and it has no windows and a bunch of Cenix. The boyfriend/husband etc mentions "Let me drink my wine". Then you see the nice view with only two chairs ( not three ) but two chairs. That is the kind of crap that these actors want you to worship.

Then lets not forget all the invisible forces involved. Agents, organized crime, religious-relations, politicians, retailers ( housing ), human-traffickers/sex-traffickers, drug-dealers, that _____ person slept with, all these other parasites trying to be somebodies friend and does not care about the content but the usage of the actors and promotion ( marketing of material ).

Nobody cares about the special-effect artists, camera-operators, Story-baord-artists, or least of all those darlings we call writers.

Doug Tanapel said it best "They see us content creators as being unimportant and easy to toss away" when he was referencing to dealing with SONY-pictures Rob Scarob said "It is all Hollywood how would you know" when referencing comic-book signings and industry. Tim Burton does not enjoy watching his own films and claims to Kevin Smith "The difference between us and everybody else here is that we come from the streets" while Kevin Smith is like "I did not from the streets I am not black".. "I grew up in a etc neighborhood where etc etc NJ" Point I am making is that

Hollywood is just marketeers, the actors in front of green-screens and printed walls, and that is it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Hence why they're called adaptions. You take what works. What doesn't work you either remove, or put a new or better context in place. Not everything is 1-to-1 as this does not always work.
Right.

However I feel like adaptation doesn't mean you can take just the name or just the premise and make it whatever...well i guess you could but you might as well not even bother and make something original at that point...But when you are talking about something like The Witcher, or anything comic book related, you have to understand that the characters have established traits that people love and if you want to adapt those characters into an original idea you have to make sure you are keeping the aspects of what people like.

For example I think the Nolan trilogy of Batman really does well there. Or and even better example would be Joker, because there are a lot of versions of the Joker that have all worked but there is an truth to the character that Joker did really well, yet the film itself was a very original take on a comic book film, and a similar story has never been told in the comics as far as im aware but I could be wrong there.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's because the showrunners really want to make their own show, but they're stuck with someone else's IP, so they're going to put their own "personal touch" on it and show those money-people that they deserve a shot.

Reactions: BrawlMan