General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
However I feel like adaptation doesn't mean you can take just the name or just the premise and make it whatever...well i guess you could but you might as well not even bother and make something original at that point...
Insert The Running Man and Wanted (2007). Both are in-name only adaptions, but did well. Though Wanted never got a live-action sequel due to scheduling conflicts, and the writers not knowing where else to take the story. All we got was the video game adaption, which acted as both a prequel (flashback chapters of Cross) and a sequel taking place after the film. Also, Castle in the Sky had anything barely in relation to the original novel, other than a castle in the sky. The animated adaption might as well been its own IP as well.

But when you are talking about something like The Witcher, or anything comic book related, you have to understand that the characters have established traits that people love and if you want to adapt those characters into an original idea you have to make sure you are keeping the aspects of what people like.
True, but a few changes don't here and there, depending on the character. As long as it remains true to an extent or some extent, then it usually doesn't bother me.

For example I think the Nolan trilogy of Batman really does well there. Or and even better example would be Joker, because there are a lot of versions of the Joker that have all worked but there is an truth to the character that Joker did really well, yet the film itself was a very original take on a comic book film, and a similar story has never been told in the comics as far as im aware but I could be wrong there.
The funny thing is, Nolan didn't even have to change much. All he did was use original, baseline, vanilla Joker from his first appearance from the comics. None of the laughing gas, nor the acid squirting flowers. While using elements from Ceasar Romero, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Hamill Jokers, Heath Ledger took inspiration from. Each new Joker built off the other, while putting their own spin on the character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's because the showrunners really want to make their own show, but they're stuck with someone else's IP, so they're going to put their own "personal touch" on it and show those money-people that they deserve a shot.
Funny thing, that is defintely nothing new either. You know how many movie directors put their own "personal touch" on an existing IP or character?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Squeenix, oh squeenix. Sit the fuck down and get yourself a cleanix.

Sorry, what I meant was: Blockchain has fuck all, I repeat, fuck bugger all to do with whether your games are global hits or not.

Kojima's favourite band front man just like died.

Pneumonia is a sneaky bastard.
Their music added so much to the game. I mean, I haven’t even played it but just listening to the soundtrack I could tell it would for me at least.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Funny thing, that is defintely nothing new either. You know how many movie directors put their own "personal touch" on an existing IP or character?
Maybe they all think they're Coppola, writing/directing the next Godfather. Except, you know, they're not.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The funny thing is, Nolan didn't even have to change much. All he did was use original, baseline, vanilla Joker from his first appearance from the comics. None of the laughing gas, nor the acid squirting flowers. While using elements from Ceasar Romero, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Hamill Jokers, Heath Ledger took inspiration from. Each new Joker built off the other, while putting their own spin on the character.
I was talking about the Jaquine Phoenix movie version. Not Ledger. But you get the point.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Their music added so much to the game. I mean, I haven’t even played it but just listening to the soundtrack I could tell it would for me at least.
Yeah, the soundtrack is probably my favourite part of the game, downloaded a few of their albums after playing too. Suitability melancholic.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Marvel Exec 1: Hmm, our last game with Square Enix didn't work so well, so who do we go to make our next game?
Marvel Exec 2: How about EA? They did such an GREAT JOB with Star Wars?
Marvel Exec 1: Let's do it! 🤑

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Marvel Exec 1: Hmm, our last game with Square Enix didn't work so well, so who do we go to make our next game?
Marvel Exec 2: How about EA? They did such an GREAT JOB with Star Wars?
Marvel Exec 1: Let's do it! 🤑
Well from their point of view, there's not many big studio that have the capacity to make big budget game they can partner with. Big studio at this point are:

Ubisoft: plenty of problem lately, company is not doing well and seem to struggle to even put out their own game (evertime someone bring up that pirate game, it get delayed by one more day).
Activision blizzard: Again, plenty of problem, plus is owned by microsoft and marvel probably want their game on all system
Hummm not quite sure about any other tbh, maybe epic but outside fortnite they don't really do anything big, plus they'd want the game to be only on EGS.
Maybe Tencent, but probably want to stay far away from chinese company.
Does take two still exist, I can hardly keep track with all the studio going bust and merging?
They could go for a small studio, but look what's happening with KOTOR remake.

EA: probably the least worse option really

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

So, some pretty fucking terrible news: Apparently Chechik was pregnant when she incurred her injury, didn't know about it until she was being treated, and could not keep the baby.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I do not believe you.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well from their point of view, there's not many big studio that have the capacity to make big budget game they can partner with. Big studio at this point are:

Ubisoft: plenty of problem lately, company is not doing well and seem to struggle to even put out their own game (evertime someone bring up that pirate game, it get delayed by one more day).
Activision blizzard: Again, plenty of problem, plus is owned by microsoft and marvel probably want their game on all system
Hummm not quite sure about any other tbh, maybe epic but outside fortnite they don't really do anything big, plus they'd want the game to be only on EGS.
Maybe Tencent, but probably want to stay far away from chinese company.
Does take two still exist, I can hardly keep track with all the studio going bust and merging?
They could go for a small studio, but look what's happening with KOTOR remake.

EA: probably the least worse option really
So the only option for these execs, if they were actually smart (big “if”), would be to not even fucking bother. I mean for realz, have they been completely oblivious as to how half-baked/greed-fueled projects wind up in this industry? Are they even aware of Metacritic User Scores or Kotaku? Bloody hell.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are they even aware of Metacritic User Scores
EA and Ubisoft were for a time. EA would even give out bonuses to developers, if the Metacritic score was 80 or above. Cliffy Douchebag B. actually threw biatch fits, if any reviewer gave Gears of War 3 a 7/10, an equivalent to that score, or lower.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
EA and Ubisoft were for a time. EA would even give out bonuses to developers, if the Metacritic score was 80 or above. Cliffy Douchebag B. actually threw biatch fits, if any reviewer gave Gears of War 3 a 7/10, an equivalent to that score, or lower.
Cliffy…lol he was a true pioneer in game dev douchbaggery.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cliffy…lol he was a true pioneer in game dev douchbaggery.
Cliff started off as a decent guy, but let the fame go to his head when Gear of War 2 became a bigger hit than the first game. Then insert Lawbreakers....

Cliff has book now, but I don't know anything about it reception wise. Not paying for the damn thing regardless, and I will never read the book. Because fuck him.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker