General Gaming News.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Consoles are usually sold at a loss. Game sales and subscriptions are where they make up that money most of the time.
Yeah, it's the Loss-Leader sales model. You sell the main product at a loss to increase market share/penetration and then charge like wounded bulls on all the necessary peripherals and accessories.

That is was xbox is so baffling. They are losing money on xboxes and not actually releasing any games to make money back. You can argue that they are making money on Gamepass subs, but a lot of those subs are only 1 dollar or free with other purchases. Then you factor how much they spent on buying publishers and developers like bethesda and activision and i cant imagine MS has any hope to make any profit out of the gaming division for quite a long time.

Another thing to consider on the Gamepass front is that if MS is losing $200 per console, that means every single Xbox owner would have to sub to Gamepass for nearly two years to make up that $200 loss. That doesn't include whatever MS is spending to keep games on Gamepass in the first place.

With Gamepass MS are in the market penetration phase - taking the hit to get people to adopt the service and betting that the service itself will be good enough for people to renew subs at the regular price. Microsoft have had a terrifying hardon for Software-as-a-Service for decades and now the infrastructure is there for them to really push it they're going full on with it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's kind of sad that all this needed to be said, but after Bridget and all the people saying "no, that's totally wrong" to the developers, well....
Is Bridget lbgt? I literally didnt know. I dont care but im surprised i havent seen them bragging about her.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is Bridget lbgt?
Yes. This has been going on since the summer. Bridget is trans.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Blood Bowl 3 now has an actual release. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed for a third time...

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Both Battlefont games made the money, despite the backlash to loot boxes. Fallen Order EA considered a success. I feel what you mean though.
It is telling that the screenshot repping for Star Wars is in fact one from Fallen Order - which is a very respectable game - and not Battlefront.

Now that could be a case of putting forth the best possible facade or it could be a genuine best foot forward thing. Time will tell, although I have a feeling after Battlefront 2 and what Squeenix did with the Avengers that Marvel/Disney will be paying VERY close attention to what is going on here.

Maybe.

Reactions: BrawlMan