Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
1. Eeeeeghhh this could be either pretty good or pretty shit.

2. I’d watch that before playing another one.

3. I’d hope so, especially since they’re still able and willing to milk the shit out of GTAO.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Brawlhalla has been out since 2014 and is still getting updates! They've got so many crossovers now that is ridiculous and awesome. The game is pretty much free to play since the beginning. I might play this just for the Avatar characters now.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I feel like Ark Survival Evolved is basically this idea already. Just turn the dinosaurs into robots and that's it.
Too late by a few years, they did that already.

I feel like there's 90% chance this Horizon mmo never gets release and will just be quietly killed in a few years. MMO are definitely pass their prime and while Horizhon has some goodwill behind it, I don't think people are clamoring for more especially after the lukewarm forbidden west reception.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
MMO are definitely pass their prime
I dont think that's true. I think MMO's just need to evolve in order to serve a new generation of audience. I mean live service games are basically MMo-likes at this point and kids are playing the shit out of them.

I think the problem is that hardcore MMO's are not able to capture the same audience anymore. Which is what soured people on WoW in a lot of ways, because the grind meant you needed to be online playing shit every fucking day.

So the rise of FF14 began because it offered a wow-like experience but was very casual friendly and allowed people to play the same type of game without the commitment.

But there are other games like New World and Ashes of Creation that are new experiences in the MMO space. Lost Ark is another one.

It's just a different time, and gaming has changed. I don't think it's past a "prime" so to speak, it's just a different era.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Nintendo financials are out.

In 3 weeks, Splatoon 3 outsold the entirety of Splatoon and has half the lifetime sales of Splatoon 2. 7.9 million copies, 5 million in Japan alone

Console sell through is extremely stable and almost 1-1, production has been an issue for obvious ongoing reasons

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nintendo financials are out.

In 3 weeks, Splatoon 3 outsold the entirety of Splatoon and has half the lifetime sales of Splatoon 2. 7.9 million copies, 5 million in Japan alone

Console sell through is extremely stable and almost 1-1, production has been an issue for obvious ongoing reasons
Just wait until next week when the new Pokemon drops.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I dont think that's true. I think MMO's just need to evolve in order to serve a new generation of audience. I mean live service games are basically MMo-likes at this point and kids are playing the shit out of them.

I think the problem is that hardcore MMO's are not able to capture the same audience anymore. Which is what soured people on WoW in a lot of ways, because the grind meant you needed to be online playing shit every fucking day.

So the rise of FF14 began because it offered a wow-like experience but was very casual friendly and allowed people to play the same type of game without the commitment.

But there are other games like New World and Ashes of Creation that are new experiences in the MMO space. Lost Ark is another one.

It's just a different time, and gaming has changed. I don't think it's past a "prime" so to speak, it's just a different era.
Maybe, but number wise its pretty clear less people are interested in the traditional MMO format than there used to be, a sucess today would have been a disapoitment a few years ago. Now what they mean for the Horizhon game when they say "MMO" is anyone guess, but I think its pretty clear that the demand for "large, shared open world game with an avatar that gain level as you progress trough the game" is much lower now than a decade ago.