Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Talk of Danganronpa in the anime thread made me google the name Junko on a whim. First hit I got was on Junko Furuta instead.

Just ... don't look it up. It's unspeakable, very not safe for life.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

No, this photograph isn’t from a horror movie, nor is it some artistic rendering of an alien, nor is it an orc. The viral photograph below is a real life close-up shot of an ant’s facial features.

Tweeted by filmmaker Rebekah McKendry, it shows “the very real face of an ant” with its antennae visible.

This is indeed a real photograph of a closeup of an ant’s features by Lithuanian photographer Eugenijus Kavaliauskas, and it was a runner-up as an “Image of Distinction” in Nikon’s 2022 Photomicrography Competition. The ant in question belongs to the genus Camponotus or “carpenter ant.” You can see more of Kavaliauskas’ photographs here, where he has taken more close-ups of insects and other creatures.

The top place went to an image of an embryonic hand of a Madagascar giant day gecko, awarded to Grigorii Timin, under the supervision of Michel Milinkovitch at the University of Geneva.

The red dots are not the ant’s actual eyes, the real eyes are further back on the insect’s head as pointed out by IFL Science. This is a closeup of a section of the ant’s face but not the full face. We reached out to the photographer to learn more and will update this story if we get more information.

You can check out the full list of winners and runners up in the Nikon Small World gallery here.
Here's the winning top place photo all big and stuff for those neglected malnutritioned eyeballs...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, we share some positions but that alone won't earn you my support.
Waitaminute…given the context inserted above, what kind of positions are we talking about here?

Anyways, I just tried taking the Myers-Briggs personality test and it crashed at 95% complete. It literally said something like, “Oops, we ran into a bug and something went wrong. Wait a bit and try again later!”

Idk if it’s because of this shitty Firefox mobile update or the website itself. Or maybe it’s both conspiring against me because they knew my results would be fucked anyways.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is based off of a tweet from 8 months ago that no longer exist. The person who did the original tweet must have been that embarrassed by what he said. Considering how stupid and immature it was, I don't exactly blame him.