General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I kinda feel bad for Horizon FW; It’s a great game and all, but I’m willing to bet it’s being overshadowed by GOWR and ER.

Feel like it would’ve had better chance if one of them came out different year, especially GOWR

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I kinda feel bad for Horizon FW; It’s a great game and all, but I’ll willing to bet it’s being overshadowed by GOWR and ER.

Feel like it would’ve had better chance if one of them came out different year, especially GOWR
The sad part about Horizon is that the first game came out with Breath of the Wild. The second game comes out with Elden Ring. So it got fucked TWICE!

But according to sales, a lot of people ended up playing Forbidden West in like June after ER hype had died down.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How so? I avoided most of the discourse on the game out of shame as I haven't bothered to continued with Zero Dawn.
The game plays fine and looks amazing. But the story and the characters are weak. Horizon's original premise was great and this follow up simply was disappointing.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
How so? I avoided most of the discourse on the game out of shame as I haven't bothered to continued with Zero Dawn.
It was a mess. The developers mantra basically seemed to be 'do more of that' instead of 'fix that'. The climbing is still as crappy, but there's more of it now. They increased the collection of status effects and the amount of weapons available that have various combinations of status effects (and buffs and strengths), blowing up the weapon pool to an incomprehensible size. Seriously, you'll have 25+ weapons in your inventory, which all consists of either bows or slings. There's so many bloody side-quests that it becomes numbing. And most of the new machines really aren't very fun to fight. The map also sucks and is structured really weirdly. Remember all that lush jungle footage in the marketing of this game? Well, have fun spending 50+ hours in the desert before ever setting foot there.

The story in Zero Dawn was never that good, only the lore, and now that that mystery is resolved Forbidden West doesn't even have that to hold on to. It just has its characters, which have the charisma of a loaf of bread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: FakeSympathy

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Halo: Combat Evolved is officially of drinking age [in the United States] today. Feels like forever and a day ago that I came across this game and it and it's progeny would consume so much of my gaming time. Lots of fond memories, lots of fun, lots of friends made. Then Halo 5 happened, and I haven't touched Halo since. I might toss in The Master Chief Collection this weekend; after all, it was the last decent thing done with the franchise in nigh a decade.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seriously assholes? Review bombing ain't gonna effect the sales of the game.

To the surprise of no one.

Reactions: gorfias

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Halo: Combat Evolved is officially of drinking age [in the United States] today. Feels like forever and a day ago that I came across this game and it and it's progeny would consume so much of my gaming time. Lots of fond memories, lots of fun, lots of friends made. Then Halo 5 happened, and I haven't touched Halo since. I might toss in The Master Chief Collection this weekend; after all, it was the last decent thing done with the franchise in nigh a decade.
Btw as a fan of the game Inside, I feel morally obligated to let you know the peeps behind that just released a new indie sidescrollery type, called Somerville, on all the platforms I do not own, damnit Microsoft 😔

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Btw as a fan of the game Inside, I feel morally obligated to let you know the peeps behind that just released a new indie sidescrollery type, called Somerville, on all the platforms I do not own, damnit Microsoft 😔

OMG, WTF?!? I had no idea!!! I'm buying it tomorrow!!!!!! Thank you for telling me!!! Yet again, you've proven to be one of my favorite people on the planet!!!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Taste real Nostalgia.
Did they include the comics? Some of them were aight. I remember the Metroid one being pretty good.

I read that as 'boxed lunch' and thought something interesting had happened.
"Get the box of sandwich bags from the cupboard, BOY."

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh yeah, forgot to reply to this.
I actually went and rented an XBox from the local Blockbuster to play it (back when Blockbuster rented consoles, and, y'know, existed). Vivid memories of sitting in front of my 13" CRT television playing it for hours. It didn't really blow my socks off the way it did for others- I mean, Half-Life had been out for three years at that point- but it was still fun and memorable, especially the lead-up to the Flood.

I haven't played Halo 5, but if 4's weird and irritating design choices were any portent of its quality, I could probably give it a pass myself.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Oh yeah, forgot to reply to this.

I actually went and rented an XBox from the local Blockbuster to play it (back when Blockbuster rented consoles, and, y'know, existed). Vivid memories of sitting in front of my 13" CRT television playing it for hours. It didn't really blow my socks off the way it did for others- I mean, Half-Life had been out for three years at that point- but it was still fun and memorable, especially the lead-up to the Flood.

I haven't played Halo 5, but if 4's weird and irritating design choices were any portent of its quality, I could probably give it a pass myself.
I was primary raising my kids. They didn't do much winter sports and they were finally getting old enough to entertain themselves some around 2007. Halo had been out for over 1/2 a decade. Still, I let them play on the great big 720P 50" Sony DLP while I snuck off to my office to play Halo and Halo 2 on my 19" CRT on the OG Xbox. Great times! Some of the best gaming of my long life.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It was a mess. The developers mantra basically seemed to be 'do more of that' instead of 'fix that'. The climbing is still as crappy, but there's more of it now. They increased the collection of status effects and the amount of weapons available that have various combinations of status effects (and buffs and strengths), blowing up the weapon pool to an incomprehensible size. Seriously, you'll have 25+ weapons in your inventory, which all consists of either bows or slings. There's so many bloody side-quests that it becomes numbing. And most of the new machines really aren't very fun to fight. The map also sucks and is structured really weirdly. Remember all that lush jungle footage in the marketing of this game? Well, have fun spending 50+ hours in the desert before ever setting foot there.

The story in Zero Dawn was never that good, only the lore, and now that that mystery is resolved Forbidden West doesn't even have that to hold on to. It just has its characters, which have the charisma of a loaf of bread.
Hey hey hey! A delicious, fresh, loaf of bread has a ton of charisma!