Doldrums and Oddities: Share Something Bemusing

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Tickmaster's website was crippled after pre-sale demand for Taylor Swift's upcoming concerts brought in fans by the droves. Fans are actually posting reaction videos both screaming when they succeeded in getting tickets and wailing and gnashing their teeth when the weren't able to do so.

Is Swift the second coming of Christ or something? I already don't get Pop music, but I really don't get its rabid fandom. Turn on the fucking radio and shut the fuck up you squealing knobs.

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, you are usually able to buy her albums, don't get the deal with concerts myself.

But, eh, if that's what people like, not seeing much harm in it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, you are usually able to buy her albums, don't get the deal with concerts myself.

But, eh, if that's what people like, not seeing much harm in it.
There's no harm, it's just incredibly stupid and insipid. As is Swift's rise to astronomic fame. I've heard her music (I can't help BUT hear it; it's fucking everywhere,) and there's absolutely nothing exceptional about it, yet these people are posting videos of themselves BAWLING because they took the day off and/or waited in queue for HOURS and weren't able to get tickets.

1668695106824.png

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
There's no harm, it's just incredibly stupid and insipid. As is Swift's rise to astronomic fame. I've heard her music (I can't help BUT hear it; it's fucking everywhere,) and there's absolutely nothing exceptional about it, yet these people are posting videos of themselves BAWLING because they took the day off and/or waited in queue for HOURS and weren't able to get tickets.

View attachment 7395
Yeah, I get a tad confused when there's people who's opinions I respect say they love Taylor Swift, so am like "oh, well maybe she probably has something that stands out from the rest, and I mistakenly ignored Muse for too many years by assuming them to be mainstream trash tho we don't speak of modern Muse" so then go and click on some passing track title for listening, only to fInd out it sounds exactly like every other over-produced modern pop song instead, and then the dread crawls back into the cortex thinking of the state of late stage capitalism hollowing out all forms of art and self-expression as it destroys our planet, so have to stop listening to escape the thought loop. Am now certain that I'll never be able to identify a Swift song by ear, as for ages I'd assumed I'd just not heard her stuff before, but after hearing, I honestly have no idea if I had at all.

I suppose it's just a matter of savvy "brand building" along with hefty injections of cash and willing consumers. Perhaps these uber-celebs should consider applying for status as a religion.

Wait no, don't give them ideas...Don't apply for religious status, super cool celebs! *Phew* just about escaped responsibility for that awful potential future at least...

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, I get a tad confused when there's people who's opinions I respect say they love Taylor Swift, so am like "oh, well maybe she probably has something that stands out from the rest, and I mistakenly ignored Muse for too many years by assuming them to be mainstream trash tho we don't speak of modern Muse" so then go and click on some passing track title for listening, only to fInd out it sounds exactly like every other over-produced modern pop song instead, and then the dread crawls back into the cortex thinking of the state of late stage capitalism hollowing out all forms of art and self-expression as it destroys our planet, so have to stop listening to escape the thought loop. Am now certain that I'll never be able to identify a Swift song by ear, as for ages I'd assumed I'd just not heard her stuff before, but after hearing, I honestly have no idea if I had at all.

I suppose it's just a matter of savvy "brand building" along with hefty injections of cash and willing consumers. Perhaps these uber-celebs should consider applying for status as a religion.

Wait no, don't give them ideas...Don't apply for religious status, super cool celebs! *Phew* just about escaped responsibility for that awful potential future at least...
Same, brother; I have NO idea why such a rabid following. She recently broke the record for holding all top 10 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time. Not that I care, but Jesus H. if it all doesn't sound the fucking same! It's really dumb what people will eat up and the lengths they'll go to do so.

But you're probably right; it's all about branding. You don't really have to be substantially different, better, or even GOOD if you're constantly pushing yourself down everyone's throat in lieu of actual sustenance.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

View attachment 7395
I mean, honestly, is it any different from an entire riot of teenage girls screaming so loud that the Beatles couldn't hear themselves perform?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ok, I have to admit, I happen to like Taylor Swift, though it takes me a while to warm to her stuff when it comes out, so I'm generally liking her previous albums more than her latest ones, no matter what those are.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Almost the entire Twitter population thinking the site is going to shut down tomorrow because of a coordinated troll effort to get hashtags trending about how Twitter is ending. Holy shit...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Almost the entire Twitter population thinking the site is going to shut down tomorrow because of a coordinated troll effort to get hashtags trending about how Twitter is ending. Holy shit...
I mean, they've fired or lost 88% of their staff, representing a huge drain in institutional knowledge. Musk presented what remains with a really dumb "become assimilated or walk away with severance" ultimatum, and apparently had the offices locked down til monday to prevent sabotage or something, while the fucking World Cup starts this sunday. They have no cold boot procedure, so if a service crash were to happen in the coming days, which was already possible before entire departments got gutted, it might take quite some time before they can get it running again, if at all. Twitter is also deep in debt, needing to make profit fast, but the advertisers that represented about 90% of its revenue before Musk's takeover are dropping out in droves, and the only ones buying into his $8 verified sub are largely his fansboys and/or crypto bros.

Twitter may not die before the weekend is over,

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I mean, they've fired or lost 88% of their staff, representing a huge drain in institutional knowledge. Musk presented what remains with a really dumb "become assimilated or walk away with severance" ultimatum, and apparently had the offices locked down til monday to prevent sabotage or something, while the fucking World Cup starts this sunday. They have no cold boot procedure, so if a service crash were to happen in the coming days, which was already possible before entire departments got gutted, it might take quite some time before they can get it running again, if at all. Twitter is also deep in debt, needing to make profit fast, but the advertisers that represented about 90% of its revenue before Musk's takeover are dropping out in droves, and the only ones buying into his $8 verified sub are largely his fansboys and/or crypto bros.
I don't really care what happens to Twitter; what I want to see is all of this finally disabusing people of this fantasy that Elon Musk is "the greatest mind of our time", instead of an egolord who walks into a place and pretends he built it from the ground up, then knocks everything over like a manic cat because he doesn't actually understand how to run anything other than his mouth.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't really care what happens to Twitter; what I want to see is all of this finally disabusing people of this fantasy that Elon Musk is "the greatest mind of our time", instead of an egolord who walks into a place and pretends he built it from the ground up, then knocks everything over like a manic cat because he doesn't actually understand how to run anything other than his mouth.
Phony Stark

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I mean, honestly, is it any different from an entire riot of teenage girls screaming so loud that the Beatles couldn't hear themselves perform?
No, it's not, but the taking to social media and showing themselves literally CRYING because they didn't get pre-sale tickets is vastly different.

Ok, I have to admit, I happen to like Taylor Swift, though it takes me a while to warm to her stuff when it comes out, so I'm generally liking her previous albums more than her latest ones, no matter what those are.
Pobody's Nerfect.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No, it's not, but the taking to social media and showing themselves literally CRYING because they didn't get pre-sale tickets is vastly different.
They couldn't do that during the Beatles height of fame, I imagine there's be at least some of that if they could.

But yeah, any fool can put their entire life on social media these days, and most fools do, it seems.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
They couldn't do that during the Beatles height of fame, I imagine there's be at least some of that if they could.

But yeah, any fool can put their entire life on social media these days, and most fools do, it seems.
Understood. I just don't get this extreme frothing at the mouth for someone so completely unexceptional. I'd say the same for the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elton John, etc., but that's me, a guy attracted to music that fills venues by the dozens, not the thousands.

Reactions: gorfias