Doldrums and Oddities: Share Something Bemusing

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Ok, I have to admit, I happen to like Taylor Swift, though it takes me a while to warm to her stuff when it comes out, so I'm generally liking her previous albums more than her latest ones, no matter what those are.
Understood. I just don't get this extreme frothing at the mouth for someone so completely unexceptional. I'd say the same for the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elton John, etc., but that's me, a guy attracted to music that fills venues by the dozens, not the thousands.
Women in my family adore TS and were unable to get tickets. My daughter is working on getting some Pink tickets instead.

I like TS. Many of her tunes are very hummable. But I'll never willingly go to a big venue again. I got to see Foo Fighters live in a stadium. From where I sat, they were like the super small army men you used to get in box of Quisp. They had poor quality jumbo trons to watch, but what's the point? What em' on TV. Heck, I watched them in Oculus (now, oy, Meta) VR.

ITMT, nice that TS made it into my neck of the woods pop culture wise:

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Women in my family adore TS and were unable to get tickets. My daughter is working on getting some Pink tickets instead.

I like TS. Many of her tunes are very hummable. But I'll never willingly go to a big venue again. I got to see Foo Fighters live in a stadium. From where I sat, they were like the super small army men you used to get in box of Quisp. They had poor quality jumbo trons to watch, but what's the point? What em' on TV. Heck, I watched them in Oculus (now, oy, Meta) VR.

ITMT, nice that TS made it into my neck of the woods pop culture wise:

See, there's my disconnect. "Hummable" does not, for me, make for good music. I'm not saying her music is "bad," just that it isn't intellectually engaging or even intelligent. It's not "different" or notable enough that anyone should be posting TikTok videos crying because they weren't able to buy tickets to a concert of Swift's drivel.

Ignore me. I'm a music snob that gets his panties in a bunch when dumb shit like Taylor Swift ticket sales makes international news.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
See, there's my disconnect. "Hummable" does not, for me, make for good music. I'm not saying her music is "bad," just that it isn't intellectually engaging or even intelligent. It's not "different" or notable enough that anyone should be posting TikTok videos crying because they weren't able to buy tickets to a concert of Swift's drivel.

Ignore me. I'm a music snob that gets his panties in a bunch when dumb shit like Taylor Swift ticket sales makes international news.
I have heard modern pop music has devolved since the 1960s as big corporations want to give people stuff that sounds much like other music they already know.

Example coverage:

EDIT: Love @5:08 the "Millenial Whoop".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have heard modern pop music has devolved since the 1960s as big corporations want to give people stuff that sounds much like other music they already know.
Music has always been awful, but with being able to look back its easy to pick out the best and bring it forward. It just goes into the whole "new is bad, old is good" idea which is bullshit, generally. You do have instances with things like the old Loony Toons and it took a long time for better then those to start coming out.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Music has always been awful, but with being able to look back its easy to pick out the best and bring it forward. It just goes into the whole "new is bad, old is good" idea which is bullshit, generally. You do have instances with things like the old Loony Toons and it took a long time for better then those to start coming out.
I imagine some music made today is just as good as anything made during the 1960s but does it find an audience? Could the Beach Boys or Bee Gees or the Beatles (and that's just B bands!) find an audience today?

ITMT: Checking this response video now to the one I just posted:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Example coverage:

EDIT: Love @5:08 the "Millenial Whoop".
I wouldn't say Pop music has devolved so much as it simply doesn't try. And I'm not comparing that to anything historically speaking, just that there's very little inspiration behind a lot of it; they're looking to sell, so they push whatever sells. It's musical manufacturing. Soulless. I find it hard to believe Taylor Swift or any modern Pop artist have ever lost sleep with the next big hit swirling in their head to the point that they found themselves awake at 3am putting pen to paper to bleed the "genius" onto paper because honestly, none of any of it sounds or feels worthy of the effort. It's dumb entertainment.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I imagine some music made today is just as good as anything made during the 1960s but does it find an audience? Could the Beach Boys or Bee Gees or the Beatles (and that's just B bands!) find an audience today?
There is plenty of good music today and its being found by people. But just like with everything else, it might or might not survive the test of time to become one of those songs that is used by the next generation to say that all music from the past was better then music from their present.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't say Pop music has devolved so much as it simply doesn't try. And I'm not comparing that to anything historically speaking, just that there's very little inspiration behind a lot of it; they're looking to sell, so they push whatever sells. It's musical manufacturing. Soulless. I find it hard to believe Taylor Swift or any modern Pop artist have ever lost sleep with the next big hit swirling in their head to the point that they found themselves awake at 3am putting pen to paper to bleed the "genius" onto paper because honestly, none of any of it sounds or feels worthy of the effort. It's dumb entertainment.
Even that isn't true. Manufactured bands and music has been around forever, doesn't mean it can't still be good. Taylor Swift is a pretty bad example since she does put a lot of herself in her work and she writes her own songs.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Even that isn't true. Manufactured bands and music has been around forever, doesn't mean it can't still be good. Taylor Swift is a pretty bad example since she does put a lot of herself in her work and she writes her own songs.
We're talking subjectivity. If you or anyone likes what Swift puts out, more power to you and enjoy; doesn't change my opinion that the music isn't inspired or interesting. For me, music needs to engage me intellectually, and very little Pop music does or even tries to. Writing her own songs doesn't make her an artist anymore than my shitting my own turds makes me an expert in biology. But I digress; Swift is no one worth shamelessly shedding public tears over was my point.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
We're talking subjectivity. If you or anyone likes what Swift puts out, more power to you and enjoy; doesn't change my opinion that the music isn't inspired or interesting. For me, music needs to engage me intellectually, and very little Pop music does or even tries to. Writing her own songs doesn't make her an artist anymore than my shitting my own turds makes me an expert in biology. But I digress; Swift is no one worth shamelessly shedding public tears over was my point.
Then don't make a statement that sounds like you are trying to be objective. Pop music is just like anything else, its fun to hate on, but there is plenty there you would enjoy.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Then don't make a statement that sounds like you are trying to be objective. Pop music is just like anything else, its fun to hate on, but there is plenty there you would enjoy.
When did I sound like I was being objective?

Oh, I didn't.