God of War Ragnarok Thread

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Got 51 hours on the clock, did most of what the game has to offer, and... that was a game I played that had things in it, some of which I quite liked.

I'm left remarkably unaffected by my time with it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Got 51 hours on the clock, did most of what the game has to offer, and... that was a game I played that had things in it, some of which I quite liked.

I'm left remarkably unaffected by my time with it.
I’m kind of relieved it seems to be fairly short from a completionist stance, even considering it’s apparently much larger than 2018.

Oh who am I kidding; I still put in way more time than that and wasn’t even on GMGOW.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Tonight I'm gonna finish the main campaign. I think so anyway- basically I'm at the point in the story where it feels like the party is gathering and it's gonna be the "let's go do the final stuff but you can also do side stuff" part of the game.
I think I did the side stuff I wanna/can do, basically- anything with like a story base. I know some areas might be inaccessible and some enemies too difficult and there is those whole challenge section so, yeah, just like 2018, the intention is to finish the campaign before "cleaning up." Kind of annoying but all games do that now so *shrug*

I have a shiny yellow armor because I explored the whole Jungle area and hunted dragons so I look all shiny, I'm happy about that. I play on default/normal difficulty but I have dropped the difficulty down one or two levels when doing side stuff and just trying to figure out where to go. The maps/levels of these GoW games frustrate me at times, never knowing where I'm allowed to go yet and having to rely on spinning the camera round to look for like little blue things in the middle of grey things and button prompts. When it works well (usually main missions) it feel awesome but when it doesn't (side missions) I get mad. So it goes.

Weapon of choice is Chaos Blades, it's just easier to string combinations together. But finishers are more satisfying with that axe. I love me a good axe.
Writing is brilliant- best "narrative" 2022 for sure. Of course it's the core dynamic of Kratos and Atreus but the weird characterizations of Freya as vengeful tiger mom and Odin as a skeevy politician add so much color and variety, along with the delightful young women Atreus gets to verbally bounce off of, makes the pacing inviting and engaging.

Hopefully I finish main story tonight because I'm away for the long holiday weekend.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So yep, I dropped my diff down to Balance mode shortly before finding Tyr, and don’t regret it. I think it makes the game feel more, well, balanced hehe. I mean, why should a fucking God of War as seasoned as Kratos be getting two-shot by a goddamn grim of all things anyways? I did like the tactical flavor that GMGOW added in terms of getting the player to be more efficient with their attack types and using the play space to their advantage, but it ultimately feels like it’s made for bragging rights more than anything seeing as how the Platinum can be obtained on any difficulty anyways. And well, another thing is less loading screens from deaths equal better pacing for the story stuff.

Anyways, does anyone else feel like Atreus seemed to be even more powerful than Kratos? Like, as a sidekick he does little more than draw attention at least early on, but damn on his own he can ruin some fools right quick. Eat your heart out, younger Ellie!

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyways, does anyone else feel like Atreus seemed to be even more powerful than Kratos? Like, as a sidekick he does little more than draw attention at least early on, but damn on his own he can ruin some fools right quick. Eat your heart out, younger Ellie!
I think what the developers did was give that enemy slightly less health, so it'll be easier to get one sections. Either that, or they buffed him slightly to do more damage. Even on normal, enemies can still wreck Atreus health to nothing, if you're not careful.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I dont know if he feels more powerful, i think it is just he can do more different things like shapeshift, where Kratos is basically just super strength. So Atreus feels more dynamic at times. But not more powerful.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Atreus often has more powerful allies.
I’ve only done the one with Sindri in the snow so far (oh what a site the Lake of Nine is frozen over), and he seems to dispatch whatever enemies those were rather quickly. I’d usually start with a charged heavy arrow attack and then melee with the skill where he just starts wailing on them. It didn’t seem to take much. Also that one golden arrow shot where he plants himself is pretty deadly.

I like how Sindri could be used to break the guard on the shield guys with his explosives. Plus, he still has his adorable little Santa hat.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
With Atreus it's very easy to lock enemies up with your hits and just pummel them into a stun state. I wouldn't be surprised if for his sections enemies are scaled differently than for Kratos.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Just a heads up to everyone, the Berserker Warriors side quests (you'll know it's one because of green energy with a sword hilt sticking out of a gravestone) are the new optional Valkyrie boss fights. They are tough. The first one took me 4 tries, and the second one only took me 2 tries. There seems to be one in each realm. Though they are way easier compared to later Valkyries. The first one you'll encounter in Midgard.
I actually encountered my first in Svartelheim. Given how that one was so much harder then the one in Midgard it makes sense the Midgardian was supposed to be the first one.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
By the way, (endgame spoilers) as fun, and meaty (and welcome) as the Berserker fights are, they still can't compete with the Valkyrie fights. Demonstrated by the optional fight against Gna. The combat just fires on all cylinders against this b*tch, it's fucking glorious! I really didn't mind dying over, and over, and over against her, because she was such a treat to battle. And I love that she didn't go for the 'everyone can be forgiven/better themselves' route once you beat her - she's just 'I made my choice, now take my damn head'.

I actually kinda miss some of the savage conclussions of old. I know and appreciate this arc trying to present the message of 'look inward and be better' rather than 'stick to your violent traditions till they burn you up', but I don't know if this applies well to the kind of extreme egomaniacal people like Odin and Thor. Maybe also why I felt Heimdall had the best villain presence and conclussion in this game.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The puzzles in Ragnarok aren't actually that hard so I feel kinda offended that Atreus and Mimir think they need to give me the solution to a puzzle the moment I enter a room. Its not that they start talking if I take too long, its that they instantly start giving unwanted advise.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The combat just fires on all cylinders against this b*tch, it's fucking glorious!
This was the hardest fight towards my platinum for sure.

But in regards to post game clearance, it's worth doing because there are a lot of closure arcs that are really nice and they wrap up the character's nicely.

I can't wait for the next game with Kratos and whatever kid he has with Freya. Because it's Kratos, girls just bang him no matter what.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
This was the hardest fight towards my platinum for sure.

But in regards to post game clearance, it's worth doing because there are a lot of closure arcs that are really nice and they wrap up the character's nicely.

I can't wait for the next game with Kratos and whatever kid he has with Freya. Because it's Kratos, girls just bang him no matter what.
Or it turns out there are tons of Kratos' bastards running around from that minigame with Aphrodite.

Reactions: CriticalGaming