General Gaming News.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If the EA-led remake ends up being good, I'm just going to have to give up on this world, because all the rules will have become invalid.

...oh. Oh my. Well, maybe it's fortunate that the game isn't good, or you might hear people saying "I can't wait to dig into some CP when I get home from work".
If it’s what I think it is (cerebral palsy?) then it may be oddly pertinent, seeing as how the act of playing the game could be a window into what that kind of suffering must be like.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
You know how spiritual successor games always tries to hype themselves up with phrases like "The studio that brought you..." or "The minds behind (last successful game) presents..." and usually ends up failing?

I wonder what exactly went wrong with CaliPro? (There, I fixed the abbreviation!) I mean it was THE GUY who made the original dead space. How did this happen?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder what exactly went wrong with CaliPro? (There, I fixed the abbreviation!) I mean it was THE GUY who made the original dead space. How did this happen?
While heavily involved with the original Dead Space, Glen Schlofield was an executive producer and did not direct original, nor its sequels.

Reactions: Dalisclock

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
While heavily involved with the original Dead Space, Glen Schlofield was an executive producer and did not direct original, nor its sequels.
I was referring to the first game. Which makes it all the strange to see how badly the game came out.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The Callisto Protocol is getting absolutely shellacked on Steam, with only a 39% positive rating and nearly every negative review I see talking about horrid performance and stuttering (a day-one patch has been promised). The devs really should have known better, and so should the people who bought it (stop preordering things, kids!).
The only positive reviews I saw were those leaving "fixes" for the stuttering.

Which, kudos to you for finding and sharing, but the fact that you had to go dumpster diving into config files for a solution to technical issues means that the developers either a) didn't give enough of a shit to find a relatively easy solution to a very grave issue or b) were too incompetent to find such a simple solution. Either situation doesn't really deserve a positive review.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wasn't there a third dead space spiritual successor coming out soonish? I bet those guys are pretty stoked CP is meh.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

Was there a FF game that DIDN'T have hate crimes? (looks over to @CriticalGaming)
Why do I feel so damn old and the complaints about the lack of "mature" content in the previous games we finally getting mature content in FF in a time when devs are focused on sanitized general audiences

Seems like The Callisto Protocol really shit the bed, which is a crying shame. It was probably my most anticipated game of the year, and it sucks to hear that it is mediocre/bad.

Hopefully they have a chance to fix some of the issues post-launch, but will probably be one to grab on sale.

Its good that the Dead Space remake is still on the horizon, and it looks fantastic, but again, EA resurrecting the corpse of Dead Space after shutting down the original studio, continues to be miserably cynical.
They have been doing an acceptable job so far imo with Apex Legends.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If the EA-led remake ends up being good, I'm just going to have to give up on this world, because all the rules will have become invalid.
Hot take: EA is perfectly capable of making good games, and does so often. It's just popular to hate EA because they are a big corp that does proft chasing trends, and generaly plays it safe in design.

People act like playing it safe in videogame design is some cardinal sin, but not every game needs to push the envelope. Cliche, frequently done, mainstream titles can be fun, even if it's not cool to admit it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was referring to the first game. Which makes it all the strange to see how badly the game came out.
I know, I just gave you some extra info for context. I reminded of the first Evil Within for having similar, but different issues. The only difference being that game was even more glitchy and prone to crashing (especially on PC) when it first launched. But even with all of its problems, Shinji Mikami remembered to have a NG+ be within the game after beating it. There's a big patch update that fixed most of the issues for Evil Within, making it easier and more tolerable. It's another lesson that shows just because you are the originator of a specific genre or franchise, doesn't mean your game is going to be automatically great, nor sell gangbusters. Shinji himself even realized this and stepped down as game director to let a new generation work on Evil Within 2. He made the right decision.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hot take: EA is perfectly capable of making good games, and does so often. It's just popular to hate EA because they are a big corp that does proft chasing trends, and generaly plays it safe in design.

People act like playing it safe in videogame design is some cardinal sin, but not every game needs to push the envelope. Cliche, frequently done, mainstream titles can be fun, even if it's not cool to admit it.
That depends on what it is. The main problems are EA doesn't have nearly output of games they used to release on a regular basis, and that they have screwed over so many developers, regardless, if they accomplished what EA asked for or not. Oh, this horror game didn't sell 9 million copies and sold "below expectations"? Welp, your asses are all useless and not needed anymore!

Fallen Order did sell well, but I did not like it, and it did not need to be a Dark Souls clone.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That depends on what it is. The main problems are EA doesn't have nearly output of games they used to release on a regular basis, and that they have screwed over so many developers, regardless, if they accomplished what EA asked for or not. Oh, this horror game didn't sell 9 million copies and sold "below expectations"? Welp, your asses are all useless and not needed anymore!

Fallen Order did sell well, but I did not like it, and it did not need to be a Dark Souls clone.
EAs biggest issue is the games they launch are almost always vessels for microtransactions. It isnt that the games themselves they are bad because usually they are somewhat ok. But due to the greed in the chat, it has become the thing to hate them.

Also they make Madden and Madden is fucking garbage.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

You're not wrong, but I'll counter that EA was responsible for Dead Space 3, which by all accounts not only killed the franchise but also the developer they forced to make it. And that's far from the only time that they've caused that kind of situation.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You're not wrong, but I'll counter that EA was responsible for Dead Space 3, which by all accounts not only killed the franchise but also the developer they forced to make it. And that's far from the only time that they've caused that kind of situation.
Also EA tends to destroy good studios. They force them to make something stupid or under stupid time limits and when the game is bad they Old Yeller the studio out behind the shed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Also EA tends to destroy good studios. They force them to make something stupid or under stupid time limits and when the game is bad they Old Yeller the studio out behind the shed.
This is my go to for why EA sucks. They've traditionally followed a pattern of "Buy studio, Drive Studio into the ground through crappy management, Kill Studio(then sit on the IP), Repeat". It's not their only sin but a big one regardless.

To be fair, not every Studio fuck up under EA is the fault of EA. Bioware is my go to for this where Anthem shitting the bed was mostly on Bioware's management because they'd gotten to reliant on "Bioware Magic"(Pulling out a win despite poor management because of staff talent and passion) and when that failed to materialize it left them fucked. Also the fact nobody really wanted Anthem.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I wasn't expecting this, but best of luck. Me personally, I don't need a movie version of this, because the live-action commercial sufficed. But hey, go for it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Except Dead Space 3 was a game that was hated to be trendy. It was one of the first microtransaction games, tho if they'd stuck with the model DS3 had, we'd be im a better spot, as it was unnecessary to use, and they didnt change the game to make it grindy and try force them.

It also got complaints for having gears of war-y human combat sections, and co-op.

The combat is milage may vary, but the co-op... The co-op was amazing. Each player experienced the story differently. You got different visuals, different audio and story prompts, you could be in the same room while each having a different encounter. The critique was co-op undermined the horror genre, but the execution was superb. It turned the idea of the two characters being untrusting of each other and paranoid into a tangible content. Most people who played the co-op rate it extremely highly.

It is a shame the franchise and studio folded. But I feel a significant chunk of it isnt on EA. It was the beginning of a trend where if the online negativity was loud enough initially, actual info later never made an impact on that poor reception. As an example, I knew people who several years after the xbox one released, repeated the falsehood that there was no offline play on the console. Loud enough negativity is hard to overcome, even when its not true.

Reactions: Gyrobot

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Except Dead Space 3 was a game that was hated to be trendy.
Dead Space 3 was a game that was hated because it turned a (relatively) suspenseful and immersive single-player franchise into a co-op shooter with extreme levels of microtransactions. Dead Space 2 also had microtransactions and not many people hated on it for that. The co-op being great is nice, but what if that's not what fans of the franchise wanted? Imagine if the next Battlefield was a real-time strategy game.

It is a shame the franchise and studio folded. But I feel a significant chunk of it isnt on EA.
EA closed Visceral because Dead Space 3 didn't meet EA's unrealistic sales expectations of five million copies for a niche product.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Dead Space 3 was a game that was hated because it turned a (relatively) suspenseful and immersive single-player franchise into a co-op shooter with extreme levels of microtransactions. Dead Space 2 also had microtransactions and not many people hated on it for that. The co-op being great is nice, but what if that's not what fans of the franchise wanted? Imagine if the next Battlefield was a real-time strategy game.

EA closed Visceral because Dead Space 3 didn't meet EA's unrealistic sales expectations of five million copies for a niche product.
You literally proved my point. You ignored everything I said to repeat the negative hype you read online. The microtransactions were shortcut packs which were totally unnecessary unless you wanted to build everything 5 minutes into the game. In the years since then, this has gotten worse and they have learned to adjust the drop rates of things to push people towards buying, but in dead space 3 they had no learnt that lesson yet. And the "co-op shooter" was a highly unique take on co-op which was fantastic, actively using the perspective of two characters who were being driven insane by the marker, in their own personal way.

Anyway, thanks for proving my point quite succinctly!