BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JFC, i guess some people have nothing better to do

They're all puppets trying to control their virtual worlds. Jesus these assholes are all pathetic. I am including every single fanatic jack ass messing with the polls and review sites thinking they're accomplishing anything. That's not gonna stop Ragnarök from winning.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can really only pity these people. Imagine having so pointless a life that a video game award is this important to you.
I give them no pity; they don't even deserve it. I give them something they already have...complete emptiness. They ain't worth shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is apparently why Days Gone sold poorly. 😏

View attachment 7525
  1. There is truth that, but Days Gone is not the only game guilty of doing this on multiple occasions.
  2. Also true, but there were quite a few that gave the game a chance.
  3. Now all of that is bullshit. Most reviewers I bothered to see complained about the lead being boring or cliched backstory and character type. A majority of them weren't complaining about his race, from the videos or articles I read. This dude is cherry picking as fuck.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So, internet darling Dwarf Fortress released on Steam and itch.io

I thought I was out. I played it a decade ago, had a blast, and said never again. But now I can pay $30 for it. The bastards got me again

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
  1. There is truth that, but Days Gone is not the only game guilty of doing this on multiple occasions.
  2. Also true, but there were quite a few that gave the game a chance.
  3. Now all of that is bullshit. Most reviewers I bothered to see complained about the lead being boring or cliched backstory and character type. A majority of them weren't complaining about his race, from the videos or articles I read. This dude is cherry picking as fuck.
That and forced stealth, mediocre third-person gameplay, and the one thing it sold itself on - zombie horde combat - not being in the game for the first half or so. That final one especially didn't do the game any favors once the reviews hit.
Blaming all your failures on "woke culture" is the "in" thing to do these days.
Yeah, and it's about as "in" as your grandparents complaining about rap music.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So, internet darling Dwarf Fortress released on Steam and itch.io

I thought I was out. I played it a decade ago, had a blast, and said never again. But now I can pay $30 for it. The bastards got me again
Well its not like its the exact same thing, quite a lot of work went into giving it actual visual. iirc the dev only did it cause they needed money for medical expense.

On days gone, it was a fine game, but nothing earth shattering and it kinda kill the most interesting aspect (the wife is alive after all), it also got repetitive and there wasn't much reason to explore the open world. Considering all that I think it sold reasonably well.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
This is apparently why Days Gone sold poorly. 😏

View attachment 7525
4. Is a zombie game long after zombies had utterly saturated the market. Clearly zombie games can do well but you have to work harder to make them stand out.

I know that's the big reason I never played it, because I'm really kinda over zombie games. Even the RDR zombie expansion/DLC was fun for like a couple hours before I got tired of it and lord knows everyone here has heard me bang on about my fondness for the RDR games.

I mean sure, there's the possibility everyone is just ganging up on your game for political reasons and/or game reviewers having it out for you, or maybe, more likely, your game just wasn't that special and while I didn't play Days Gone, what I've seen of it and heard people talk about it tells me it really isn't that special compared to other zombie games that have come out in the last decade or so. I'm sure plenty of people liked it but it really does seem it did not stand out enough to most people to become a hit the way the devs wanted.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
4. Is a zombie game long after zombies had utterly saturated the market. Clearly zombie games can do well but you have to work harder to make them stand out.
The first Last of Us already came in when the market was saturated, and then Days Gone came around during the TLoU2 hype wave - It had the label of bargain bin TLoU the moment it was announced. And then when it was released it turned out to be bargain bin Horizon: Zero Dawn with zombies instead of awesome robot dinosaurs. It had a lot of tepid press against it before it launched, but nothing it showed post-launch blew anyone's skirt up. Kinda like Death Loop really, though Days Gone thankfully didn't clog up every games show with a trailer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I know that's the big reason I never played it, because I'm really kinda over zombie games.
With the exception of Resident Evil, House of the Dead, and both Evil Within (technically psychotic rage monsters) games, zombies I got sick and tired of long ago. At leas those three franchises I mentioned, you're killing more than zombies. Throw in Oneechanbara while you're at it, but I am more so referring to the revamped sequels, Z and Z2. In those two games, you fight zombies, mud men, gargoyles, vampires, demons, jiangshi (Chinese vampires), ogres, and other supernatural monstrosities. Killer Is Dead does have zombies, but most of them don't each flesh and more so born from an evil supernatural curse. They can use weapons, including guns.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
JFC, i guess some people have nothing better to do

What would be funny is if there was an hidden algorithm that also turned every 10 these fanboys gave Elden Ring into a Zero, thereby at least canceling each other out.

Short of that, can’t Metacritic grow a pair and just shut user ratings the fuck down, at least until a couple years after release? I mean, they clearly still haven’t found a way to manage toxic behavior on their site.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
What would be funny is if there was an hidden algorithm that also turned every 10 these fanboys gave Elden Ring into a Zero, thereby at least canceling each other out.

Short of that, can’t Metacritic grow a pair and just shut user ratings the fuck down, at least until a couple years after release? I mean, they clearly still haven’t found a way to manage toxic behavior on their site.
It's a double edge sword. One one hand, you can argue user reviews provide a counterbalance to Game Reviewers which may be biased in favor of higher reviews because any number of reasons such as getting publisher provided review codes. OTOH, you have stupid shit like Review Bombing and whatever the opposite is where you just give games a 10 because you're a superfan and there doesn't seem to be a lot of effort into mitigating that kind of blatant score manipulation.

There's always the idea of just getting rid of scores entirely and having to read the reviews to figure out if the games are good or not but since the games industry lives and dies by a number between 1-10 7-10 that'll probably never happen.