SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Rookie quarterback Brock Purdy of my San Francisco 49ers decimated the inarguable G.O.A.T. Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 7-35. It was also the largest age gap between opposing quarterbacks in NFL history; Brady is 45 and Purdy is only 22, born the year before Tom Brady entered the NFL. Purdu looked poised, confident, and really managed the game like a veteran despite this game being his first ever NFL start. I forget the list, but of every QB whose first start was against Brady, Purdy is the ONLY one to pull off a win, and a commanding one to boot. I think if we're in good hands; odd that it had to fall to a 3rd-string rookie at the helm to bring it all together for us like this.

Another fun fact, since Purdy had been riding the bench all season, his family never came to any of the Niners' games. They showed up for yesterday's game... to see Tom Brady. I hope Brock didn't disappoint them too badly.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Argentina with dominating win over Croatia.

Hopefully Morocco somehow pulls one over France. That would be insufferable, France winning another one.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, yeah, yeah, World Cup, blah-di-bliddy-blah...

My Niners took down the Seahawks AGAIN last night, first team in the league to CLINCH their division this year!!!! True, it wasn't exactly an upset, but for the Niner Faithful, every game against the Seahawks is a mini Super Bowl, so I woke up with a pounding headache, no voice, and the taste of winning in my mouth. Purdy continues to look like the truth; I wouldn't be surprised if this 3rd-stringer nets himself the starting job if we go deep enough into the playoffs. Hell, I'll say it: I'm already thinking Super Bowl despite my outwardly tempered expectations. If "Mr. Irrelevant" (nickname for the guy picked dead last in the draft as Brock Purdy was in 2022) takes us to a title, expect a Cinderella movie about this team by 2025.

Last edited:

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
If "Mr. Irrelevant" (nickname for the guy picked dead last in the draft as Brock Purdy was in 2022) takes us to a title, expect a Cinderella movie about this team by 2025.
He's already earned himself a 30 for 30 if nothing else.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
@tippy2k2 , wow, your Vikings made NFL history: biggest comeback, coming from 33 down to win 36-39 in OT against the Colts. I almost changed the channel, and glad I didn't. That shit was amazing.

Reactions: tippy2k2

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
@tippy2k2 , wow, your Vikings made NFL history: biggest comeback, coming from 33 down to win 36-39 in OT against the Colts. I almost changed the channel, and glad I didn't. That shit was amazing.
My favorite part is that my brother actually went to the game...and left because he decided to be on time for our family Christmas party thinking the game was over with halfway through the third quarter.

Tippy of course was one hour and fifteen minutes late to Christmas because I sure as hell wasn't getting away from my TV once the comeback was starting. Mum knew the risks when she scheduled Christmas overlapping The Vikings game!

Totally worth it

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
What a motherfucking game. I'm so fucking tired. Congrats to Messi. As someone who doesn't give a shit about these things normally, he is definitively the GOAT.

My heart hasn't beat so fast because of something that didn't directly involve me before. The beautiful game indeed. I need to play some football again.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I couldn't be more elated.
I finally get to watch Argentina win a World Cup after growing up hearing about all the stories and suffering six Cups myself. None more painful than 2014.
Leo finally wins a World Cup in what's essentially his last shot, despite his age and all the naysayers. Breaks record for most WC games played (26) and scores in every stage. He's finally free from Maradona's shadow as far as the people are concerned.
Scaloni, who was originally dismissed as a filler TD, is vindicated as the third coach in history to win both a World Cup and Copa América.
Argentina beats France after losing to them during the knockout stage last Cup, which France then won, so they're also taking the Cup from them.
Y le cerraron el orto a Mbappe. Good player though.

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
As a brazilian I'm pretty happy Argentina are tricampeões before the french, it's great Messi finally won it, a player of his stature should have a WC, and this is good for the sportsball rivalry, too. Also, you can't ignore Mbappe scored 3 goals in a WC final, the man is only 23, that's impressive.

Parabéns para os hermanos argentinos.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As a brazilian I'm pretty happy Argentina are tricampeões before the french, it's great Messi finally won it, a player of his stature should have a WC, and this is good for the sportsball rivalry, too. Also, you can't ignore Mbappe scored 3 goals in a WC final, the man is only 23, that's impressive.

Parabéns para os hermanos argentinos.

Muito obrigado bro.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My favorite part is that my brother actually went to the game...and left because he decided to be on time for our family Christmas party thinking the game was over with halfway through the third quarter.

Tippy of course was one hour and fifteen minutes late to Christmas because I sure as hell wasn't getting away from my TV once the comeback was starting. Mum knew the risks when she scheduled Christmas overlapping The Vikings game!

Totally worth it
He left the game?!? NEVER!!! I don't care if my team is down by a thousand, you don't leave! He really missed out of an epic comeback. He should have flagellated himself; he should still be flagellating himself!! Even Cousins didn't know what they'd done!! That said, I don't know where to place the blame: Colts' lacking or Vikings' doing. Either way, it was an amazing game.

And yes, congrats, Argentina; I wasn't watching until extra time, then I was glued.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
He left the game?!? NEVER!!! I don't care if my team is down by a thousand, you don't leave! He really missed out of an epic comeback. He should have flagellated himself; he should still be flagellating himself!! Even Cousins didn't know what they'd done!! That said, I don't know where to place the blame: Colts' lacking or Vikings' doing. Either way, it was an amazing game.

And yes, congrats, Argentina; I wasn't watching until extra time, then I was glued.
He is much more of a fair weather fan (the only reason he went was he was going with friends and got the tickets cheap from one of them) so I don't know how much he actually cares.

However, that's not going to stop me from constantly reminding him about it. One of us is gonna be on our Death Bed and I'm going to say "It's a good thing (the one not dying) didn't go home early cause he'd have missed (whichever one of us is dying)'s dying moments and that would have been a bummer". Hopefully I'm the one on the Death Bed because that would be a hell of a walk off right before dying!

I watched that entire World Cup game and funny enough I almost pulled a "my brother" as I was going to go to the grocery store at about the 70th minute (basically right before France did their double goal). But I decided it could wait another twenty minutes just in case...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Now that I'm coming down from the finals high... wow sports fans fucking suck. And I can't lie that football fans aren't the worst of the bunch.

While my family was... procuring a live stream of the game, good lord were there people taking full advantage of the lawless chatbox. And now my social media seems to think I desperately crave reading the dipshit opinions of dipshit fans every second of my life. I hate fanaticism in any form, but man do I REALLY hate a sports fanatic.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Honestly its so weird that soccer matches end in kickoffs instead of over-time like every other sport. Like if its just about celebrating individual players ability to score goals, skip the entire match and go to the kickoffs. Or if its about team coordination and skills, do overtime play. Its so jarring going from the actual match to kickoffs to decide the winner. Itd be like if a tied basketball game was settled with rock/paper/scissors.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Honestly its so weird that soccer matches end in kickoffs instead of over-time like every other sport. Like if its just about celebrating individual players ability to score goals, skip the entire match and go to the kickoffs. Or if its about team coordination and skills, do overtime play. Its so jarring going from the actual match to kickoffs to decide the winner. Itd be like if a tied basketball game was settled with rock/paper/scissors.
Same sentiments, but I care so little for soccer, I couldn't be arsed to voice them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It would make more sense, but it could be a 0-0 draw already, and prolonging the lack of point scoring...yeah, make jokes about soccer fans attention span, or greedy capitalists not wanting to invest to much time?