Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I've heard BFE was initially not a Serious Sam game, they had some contract to do a military shooter but that fell through so they repurposed a lot of the assets for Serious Sam.
Yeah, I mentioned it in an earlier post. First it was supposed to be a military shooter, then Doom 4, and finally BFE.

I don't see why 4 would be considered the black sheep, it was an awesome return to form.
Depends on who you're talking to. Serious Sam 4 is love it or hate territory. Though everyone agrees Siberian Mayhem is better than the base game. SS4 did get patches and various updates that made the game run better and remove some annoying gameplay mechanics, but I never kept up. Maybe you might have bought and played the game post patch.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
But what I want is the ability to jump into action whenever I want. Like on a very cool level.
Well MK11 kinda had this with bots. You could customize them to fight how you wanted, and they would just do all the fighting for you automatically. It was primarily useful for farming loot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm just gonna repeat a "hot take" as I am doing my umpteenth Witcher 3 replay now with the graphical update:
Witcher 3 should have been the last word on this particular style of open-world-RPG-lite-quest-based style game. None since have even come close and I can't imagine none ever will.

Yes I like Ghost of Tsushima and the recent Assassins Creeds and the Horizon games, because that style is my most comfortable. But every time I go back to W3 after one of those it's kind of a joke how they can't hold a candle to how W3 puts together a quest that takes advantage of the setting and gameplay, and how everything feels narratively fulfilling while engaging the exploration, combat, and story.

I had a friend visit and he hasn't played a console game in like 20 years, though we used to go to arcades and play Nintendo as kids. He saw my PS5 and asked to see what a current game looks like, so I show him Assassins Creed Valhalla, just running around the open world and picking fights. His immediate reaction was boredom at the idea of talking to NPCs. And some people are like that- it's not for everyone, this whole "quest" structure. This is why I cringe when someone is like "you HAVE to play this or that game" and it's like, no, no one has to do anything, not everything is for everybody. I get that.
But there are genres, or styles, or frameworks that game lean on, and this particular one- with narrative quests but in some sort of open world, but also side activities- is sort of the default now with big budge games and cinematics. Far Cry, Immortals Fenyx, seems like this new Forspoken game...

And I'm like... why, even, when W3 already figured it out.
Probably best non-W3 one is Tsushima, I do see it praised for it's story and animations and characters, and I would agree with the praise, I like that game. But its quest structures are so ridiculously simple that it doesn't really use the setting in an interesting way. And the story is essentially your basic samurai revenge-turn-hero stuff; which is great, I love that, but it's not exactly original.

The last W3 quest I replayed is one where you gotta lift a curse from an island to help a sorceress. It's a side quest, but the sorceress helped you in a main quest and in order to get this you have to do a couple of optional things- dialogue, a little puzzle- the mechanics are basic but the way it threads together from elven ruins to a magic lamp to a village to her house, all while the dialogue is building this flirtation while also scheming. And then the actual island throws a bunch of enemies and again at its core the mechanics are simple, you walk around and point your lamp at stuff but the music, the visuals, the way it lets you explore in a narrow tower in a larger world, giving you as much local history as you're willing to pay attention to, with the creepy vibes of ghosts, culminating in one of the best visuals I've ever seen in a game.

And no one has come close to this, even with all the fancy graphics. I mean I defend Horizon every chance I get but why couldn't they do something like this, I don't get it. I think honestly Ragnarok came close in terms of tying gameplay with story, but they were able to relay on forcing the quests to be much more narrow and guided because it's not as "open world" as these other games.

Even the same company came out with Cyberpunk which got middling reviews (I'm not playing it because it's first person). I guess maybe lightning strikes once or something but then maybe stop making these kinds of games or something, I dunno. Can the Witcher 3 writers and designers make an Assassin's Creed game please? That world is begging for a great story action game and even though I like playing the new ones I'm not gonna pretend they're actually, you know, good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably best non-W3 one is Tsushima, I do see it praised for it's story and animations and characters, and I would agree with the praise, I like that game. But its quest structures are so ridiculously simple that it doesn't really use the setting in an interesting way. And the story is essentially your basic samurai revenge-turn-hero stuff; which is great, I love that, but it's not exactly original.
Sucker Punch wasn't exactly going for originality. The game is one big Kurosawa homage. And even then, they still do their own unique thing with it. It's how it's done that matters Tsushima is basically a superhero origin game set in ancient Japan. I will say that for the sequel, they can't do the same thing that he did last time on how you start off and unlock fighting styles. All fighting styles should be unlocked from the start. Why they chose to do it that way is beyond me. I know they wanted to ease players in, but they could have handled that better. Also, no more stalking elites or super mooks, to unlock stances. That's just stupid and tedious.

I think honestly Ragnarok came close in terms of tying gameplay with story, but they were able to relay on forcing the quests to be much more narrow and guided because it's not as "open world" as these other games.
Evil Within 2 does a pretty good job of it too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I love the straightforward level design of Evil West. There are some divergent/optional paths, but it's usually just for hidden collectibles and to get more money for upgrades. If you want an action game with expansive level design, semi open world, or semi-open-ended, there are more than enough options to choose from. Once again, not everything has to be open world or super expansive, as long as linearity has a good flow. Not too many people were complaining about this, but even the people who like the game still brought it up as a minor flaw or issue, when it really isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ninja Theory should have just been an animation studio. This is a hot take I am borrowing from somebody back on the IMDb days. The problem is a lot of their games are just not that good or average. Sure, most of them have decent to good stories, but the gameplay always falters or is just mediocre at Best in some way. Even their "best game", DmC (2013), they needed Itsuno & his team's help to make the actual combat work and be fun. When it was just NT doing it, combat was considered too slow, and they kept focusing on the cool visuals instead of the gameplay.

The reason why nobody else hired them after Capcom, was because the negative attitude they displayed towards all classic DMC fans before the reboot's release. No other publisher wanted to deal with that. Ninja Theory had no choice, but to self-published at that time. But even that wasn't enough. It was either be bought by Microsoft or closed down. At this point, they should have just gone into animation and been done with it.

I only wish the best for them, but with the way Microsoft is handling and twiddling their thumbs up their butts, I don't think NT is going to get anything done.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Who gives a fuck? It's Twitter. Site was always a piece of shit, and is an even bigger piece of shit with King Crybaby in charge. 2022 has been a good year for gaming and me.
I don't agree with that entirely. Before Musk there were left-wing elements on Twitter, so may say we had a majority. Now it's nonstop conservative hogwash. I just googled the term climate change, and people were all denying it to grift for clicks on their website in the top comments.

As for games, we have had very few new games this year compared to the PS4 era or the PS2 era. Lack of AA games, AAA 90 plus Metacritic games, and a lack of diverse AAA games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Before Musk there were left-wing elements on Twitter, so may say we had a majority.
So? Twitter still enabled the ultra conservative assholes, and let Trump say whatever he wanted without consequence, until January 6th. Too bad the damage was already done by that point. Because they were afraid of the orange man, conservative reactionaries, and their fucking bottom line.

Now it's nonstop conservative hogwash. I just googled the term climate change, and people were all denying it to grift for clicks on their website in the top comments.
Same shit, different day. Like I said before, even shittier.

we have had very few new games this year compared to the PS4 era or the PS2 era
Depends on where you've been looking. AAA? Not so much. Microsoft still ain't releasing shit, Sony and Nintendo have been doing their usual thing, and most other big publishers have been fucking up as usual. AA and indie? "We're in the money! We make games that are actually good and fun!"

Lack of AA games,
You have not been looking hard enough. Plus, there are more coming out any way. I suggest you start playing games in your backlog, or play games of old you never played before, or sit on your ass and continue complaining. Your choice.

AAA 90 plus Metacritic games, and a lack of diverse AAA games.
98% of today's AAA games are garbage and generic slop. What else is new?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Once again, bitches about Sonic fans and Ragnarök before and in-between the rant respectively. Now then, with audio logs, it depends on how it's done. I don't play many AAA games anymore, so I can only assume a lot of them can be played through the menu any time the player wants, when picked up. At least it's optional. Calisto Protocol does not do it the worse though. That title goes to dark Sector. You can't even choose when it happens late game, nor press a button. These random audio logs just start, after finishing a combat section (where there is usually a lot of noise and not the best audio mixing) and are on loop. The game has no subtitles for the audio logs, and with anything you miss, the player has stand around and wait on repeat. If they want the full context and story of why the island-town got infected or what led to Mesner changing when he got infected. I do prefer the System Shock 2, Dead Space, or Evil Within 2 method, but having the audio logs be in menus I don't see as much as an issue Yahtzee makes it out to be. The Arkham series has audio logs be in menus, and no one ever complained about those at all.

EDIT: Even Yahtzee admits this a waste of time, and his own fault. You're running out hot takes worth even talking about. Take a break dude.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For me though: DMC5 and Bayonetta 2 are peak hack n slash/3D brawler. I do disagree with him on the game being too short. While the first game is longer, Bayonetta is long for the wrong reasons. Bayonetta 2 trims out the unneeded fat that is the gimmick shmup and motorcycle levels that goes on for way too long, and poor QTEs. Bayo 2 does have the best replay value, because of its easier to access bonus content. I am shocked he doesn't mention Tag Climax mode. Sure, nobody playing unless you hook up with a friend, but you can still parenter with the AI. The AI is ususally competent and helpful in a jam.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I got downvoted on Reddit for stating there was a PS5 at my local supercenter box store. I now know that in Columbus Ohio, these things are everywhere...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I got downvoted on Reddit for stating there was a PS5 at my local supercenter box store. I now know that in Columbus Ohio, these things are everywhere...
Probably jealous and did it out of spite. Like basically reddit for, “You got a PS5 huh? Well fuck you pal!