Your video game hot take(s) thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Either of you played Abadox? I consider it the best SHMUP on NES for gruesomeness alone and gore. They got away with so much in that game on either version. The worst the NES version got was some censorship of female nudity. That was it. Though the story is much darker in the Japanese version.
Abadox was really cool, I don't think I ever played it enough to beat it but I think I got to stage 4. Hard to believe Nintendo allowed something with so much gore on the nes, but I recall it kinda toned down after the first stage. It is one of the best shooters on the nes, but I would say 1943 and Guardian Legend have it beat. But Guardian Legand kinda cheats by also being Zelda.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier. I couldn't blame a kid in the 80s getting nightmares from this game.
I think the 8 bit graphics help make it not as bad. Like there is a web comic called Feast for a King that is full of body horror, but its sketch book art style really makes it feel less gory then it is.

I do miss the biological enemies and levels that 80s/90s shootemups had.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
This is my hottest take on video games so far, but I feel like we need a game that can play itself with the player doing so if needed. An optimally manned video game. When I am bored I watch tik tok, even looking at a video game makes me tired. Oh great an FPS where half the time I die in like a minute or a puzzle where I have to google it.

We live in a world of automation, but our games still play and act like in the 1990s.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is my hottest take on video games so far, but I feel like we need a game that can play itself with the player doing so if needed. An optimally manned video game. When I am bored I watch tik tok, even looking at a video game makes me tired. Oh great an FPS where half the time I die in like a minute or a puzzle where I have to google it.

We live in a world of automation, but our games still play and act like in the 1990s.
I believe that is called a movie. We’ve had them for sometime, took us a while to add sound and colour though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This is why no takes you seriously a majority of the time. You don't want to put the effort in playing a video game, either read a book, watch a movie or TV show, or skip stages in the 2008 Alone in the Dark reboot. That's advertised as a "feature" in the game. If you do "play" that, make sure it's the PS3 version. Comes with the least amount of glitches and is the most stable out of all the versions.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I believe that is called a movie. We’ve had them for sometime, took us a while to add sound and colour though.
But what I want is the ability to jump into action whenever I want. Like on a very cool level.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pat and Woolie, you can stop with the doom and gloom shit about Platinum. I know Platinum have it rough and have not made some of the best decisions. I know you, Pat, hate Bayo3's story. With that said, Platinum knows how to write a story. It's not their main forte, but them brining in outside writers won't always help. Assuming they want to do it. Second, while MG Rising and Nier: Automata are their most successful game, you couldn't get me to play the latter again. Rising is still awesome, and in my top of Platinum's game. Third, Bayonetta 2 has the best story of the trilogy. Eat shit. Four, Mad World has a good story by keeping it simple, and acting as something you would see in a John Carpenter movie.

I have my concerns with Platinum as well, but Christ, calm the fuck down and have some faith.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Serious Sam is a better series then Duke Nukem.
That's been a cold take since The Second Encounter. We're talking freaking 2002! With all that said, you have those that don't like 3:BFE, nor 4. I know you enjoy 4 and its expansion, Siberian Mayhem, but there are many that prefer the expansion to the base game. Bulletstorm is another good example of being a better Duke Nukem game, than Duke Nukem Forever.

Speaking of FPS hot takes: Hard Reset I enjoy more and find much better than the modern Shadow Warrior games. I have not gotten to 3 yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath in the former being better than HR.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's been a cold take since The Second Encounter. We're talking freaking 2002! With all that said, you have those that don't like 3:BFE, nor 4. I know you enjoy 4 and its expansion, Siberian Mayhem, but there are many that prefer the expansion to the base game. Bulletstorm is another good example of being a better Duke Nukem game, than Duke Nukem Forever.

Speaking of FPS hot takes: Hard Reset I enjoy more and find much better than the modern Shadow Warrior games. I have not gotten to 3 yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath in the former being better than HR.
I don't know. People still seem to give a lot of reverence to Duke. I know people who are excited hes getting a movie. But Duke was in one really good game and a few good ones then some crap ones, the appeal of that really good one is weirdly lasting.

I liked Hard Reset... well I liked it when it first came out and was really short, I got bored midway through the longer version. But... While I did beat the new Shadow Warrior 1 and 2, they both have issues. The first one gets really tedious on hard mode when those damn behemoths start showing up and are just annoying as fuck to deal with and the second was a looter shooter with randomized levels so it never really felt super coherent. And the loot system was pretty boring.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People still seem to give a lot of reverence to Duke
Only the super hardcore fans living in denial. Even most reasonable fans see where others are coming from on this. The only time this was ever a hot take was when First Encounter came out, and some parts of Serious Sam II (ironic, as Croteam actually hates that installment. I think it is great game, but there was a lot of production trouble, and the team hated working on it. I don't blame them). Though hardcore Duke fans were getting tired of the take-thats, as the games kept making fun of DNF when it was still in development with no release date. That's where some of the hatred and resentment comes from.

I liked Hard Reset... well I liked it when it first came out and was really short, I got bored midway through the longer version.
I've only ever played the updated version of Hard Reset that released on consoles and Steam. I still have my PS4 download and play it every once in a while.

But... While I did beat the new Shadow Warrior 1 and 2, they both have issues. The first one gets really tedious on hard mode when those damn behemoths start showing up and are just annoying as fuck to deal with and the second was a looter shooter with randomized levels so it never really felt super coherent. And the loot system was pretty boring.
Exactly why I find Hard Reset so much better and more fun. The game has some cheap bosses, but nothing game breaking. I never played the harder modes, as I only play Normal. It's challenging enough on the default difficulty, so I see no reason to make the experience that much tougher. Plus, I like bonus challenges the updated version brought. It extended the replay value a bit more. I highly doubt it, but I would not mind a sequel to Hard Reset.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
you have those that don't like 3:BFE
I tried to like BFE, and some parts were pretty good, but it takes half the game before it actually starts feeling like a part of the Serious Sam franchise. Oddly enough, it's got a huge Russian fanbase who've been putting out mods far closer to the original feel.

Bulletstorm is another good example of being a better Duke Nukem game, than Duke Nukem Forever.
It was odd when they released an update that basically stuck Duke in Bulletstorm, changing absolutely nothing about the game except for his voice files.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Exactly why I find Hard Reset so much better and more fun. The game has some cheap bosses, but nothing game breaking. I never played the harder modes, as I only play Normal. It's challenging enough on the default difficulty, so I see no reason to make the experience that much tougher. Plus, I like bonus challenges the updated version brought. It extended the replay value a bit more. I highly doubt it, but I would not mind a sequel to Hard Reset.
I think the Shadow Warrior new series is better... but I'm not sure how to express that. And I haven't played 3 yet.

I tried to like BFE, and some parts were pretty good, but it takes half the game before it actually starts feeling like a part of the Serious Sam franchise. Oddly enough, it's got a huge Russian fanbase who've been putting out mods far closer to the original feel.
I liked BFE, but I can totally understand why its the black sheep of the mainline series. It really is the weakest of them, but I still had fun with it and the last boss was rad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
BFE too had many production troubles. Before becoming a Serious Sam game, it was a one point supposed to be a COD-like military shooter (which explains so much of the early game), then it got canned. Next, it was supposed to be Doom 4 (with a monster looks exactly like a Mancubus), but it got canned too.

It was odd when they released an update that basically stuck Duke in Bulletstorm, changing absolutely nothing about the game except for his voice files.
I bought Full Clip Edition used, and I will never pay for Duke.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the Shadow Warrior new series is better... but I'm not sure how to express that. And I haven't played 3 yet.
No problem. Me personally, not worth the frustration nor tedium of either SHW game. Crazy story: in Hard Reset Redux, they give the main character of that game, Lo Wang's sword. The only difference is the sword has more neon coloring on it.

I liked BFE, but I can totally understand why its the black sheep of the mainline series. It really is the weakest of them, but I still had fun with it and the last boss was rad.
Before BFE, Serious Sam II was considered to be the black sheep of the mainline games. For not being "serious enough and too silly". Like I said before, Croteam seemed to hate it more than the fans. Which is why they went in so hard for the realistic look again, and being more serious and grounded in terms of looks. They forgot to make a fun shooter in the beginning, and turned it into a 2012 military shooter for the first quarter of the game. Now 4 is considered the black sheep of the mainline games now.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Before BFE, Serious Sam II was considered to be the black sheep of the mainline games. For not being "serious enough and too silly". Like I said before, Croteam seemed to hate it more than the fans. Which is why they went in so hard for the realistic look again, and being more serious and grounded in terms of looks. They forgot to make a fun shooter in the beginning, and turned it into a 2012 military shooter for the first quarter of the game. Now 4 is considered the black sheep of the mainline games now.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Serious Sam 2, that game had issues, but lots of creativity, and really bad jokes. From what I've heard BFE was initially not a Serious Sam game, they had some contract to do a military shooter but that fell through so they repurposed a lot of the assets for Serious Sam. I don't see why 4 would be considered the black sheep, it was an awesome return to form.