General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Who the hell said that? Before that point, no matter if it was from the liberal or conservative side/think piece article, Black Panther was considered the first (good) superhero of color making it to the big screen. I guess they forgot about Meteor Man or Blade. Or they don't count, because one it's not based off an actual common property, and the other one is vampires and does not look superhero enough.
Or spawn dont forget spawn.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

This sounds like a terrible idea
Both TLoU1 and 2 were already structured more like a TV show, so honestly this is nothing new. Unless they're actually going for episodic content, which I find highly unlikely. And is that supposed to be art work of this new IP, cuz if so thank god they're finally moving away from contemporary settings.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Both TLoU1 and 2 were already structured more like a TV show, so honestly this is nothing new. Unless they're actually going for episodic content, which I find highly unlikely. And is that supposed to be art work of this new IP, cuz if so thank god they're finally moving away from contemporary settings.
It sounds like he’s just adopting the “writers room” approach to narrative creation, probably because of his involvement in the TV show. Which speaking of, this just made me kinda puke-laugh -

Gonna start calling this kinda thing “game shame” with how blatant it’s getting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It sounds like he’s just adopting the “writers room” approach to narrative creation, probably because of his involvement in the TV show. Which speaking of, this just made me kinda puke-laugh -

Gonna start calling this kinda thing “game shame” with how blatant it’s getting.
There is a line between non-interactive entertainment and games. While Games can be very cinematic, they can never be film or TV and I think this constant attempt at trying to bridge that gap is just foolhearty.

It's the same reason why movies and TV can't ever truly adapt video games into their mediums. Because there is a lot more to game that makes them what they are than anything TV can provide. Resident Evil for example is one that they keep trying to make a film or tv show and there is one specific reason that it will NEVER work. Exploration. Resident Evil games are great because of the environment they put the player in for them to explore. The horror comes from being in the shoes of a dude entering the Baker house for the first time, or exploring the Spencer Mansion or RPD station. The horror and atmosphere that being able to explore those environments is what makes those games great. The stories are fucking bonkers bullshit, so trying to put that story on screen is foolish because it's dumb as fuck.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's the same reason why movies and TV can't ever truly adapt video games into their mediums. Because there is a lot more to game that makes them what they are than anything TV can provide.
You have your points, but Castlevania Netflix and Sonic Prime says hi. The former especially; because they based it off the Castlevania with the 2nd least amount of plot in the NES series. Granted, the writers had nearly 30 years of lore and back story to go off of and do their own thing, and make it work.

Resident Evil for example is one that they keep trying to make a film or tv show and there is one specific reason that it will NEVER work. Exploration. Resident Evil games are great because of the environment they put the player in for them to explore. The horror comes from being in the shoes of a dude entering the Baker house for the first time, or exploring the Spencer Mansion or RPD station. The horror and atmosphere that being able to explore those environments is what makes those games great. The stories are fucking bonkers bullshit, so trying to put that story on screen is foolish because it's dumb as fuck.
Dog Soldiers is a movie that proves a RE movie can work, but they have to cut out the blue crab and find somebody that actually cares. Both are stealing from Night Of The Living Dead anyway, so it's a concept that can work. Just put more emphasis on the atmosphere and don't go to action crazy until the near end. Van dam's Double Impact proved to be a better Double Dragon movie than the official Double Dragon movie. The reason why Double Dragon failed as a movie, was because it was done behind people who didn't care, nor took it seriously. Technos itself at the time being one of them. Though their main problems that they would license out the IP to anyone, regardless of quality. That pretty much killed them by the late 90s and early 2000s. Rocking intro song aside, don't even get me started on the cartoon series that lasted for two seasons and had Billy and Jimmy using laser swords.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
was because it was done behind people who didn't care,
I think this is also the second biggest problem in the adaptation scene. Henry Cavill recently bailed on The Witcher because the showrunners didn't give a fuck. It's the same shit time and time again, wannabe hollywood types use a popular franchise to make their own dogshit which then ruins the franchise they were supposed to be making a faithful show/movie of in the first place.

But yeah, most of the people making these things don't actually give a shit about the video game or even property they are adapting. If you don't care, then you are not going to produce anything good.

And let's be real here for a second, the reason why things like the Sonic movie did good was because it didn't try to be the video game and was just it's own goofy fucking thing that mostly worked because Jim Carry is awesome. Furthermore shows like Arcane work because they are little more than character stories using established video game characters. League of Legends doesn't have much of a story for it's fighting so a show based off the lore is easy because the audience can't connect a lore film to a gameplay one.

The Arcane thing would work fairly well if they did the same thing with something like Street Fighter, hell the Street Fighter anime proves that true. However that same concept doesn't work in something like Resident Evil or Tomb Raider or any number of other flops. Some games succeed because they are games, not in spite of it. And the removal of the game element to the work does not carry over well.

There will always be the rare exception, but you have to look at why the exceptions were good in context because that will tell you exactly why the general failure is consistent.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And let's be real here for a second, the reason why things like the Sonic movie did good was because it didn't try to be the video game and was just it's own goofy fucking thing that mostly worked because Jim Carry is awesome. Furthermore shows like Arcane work because they are little more than character stories using established video game characters. League of Legends doesn't have much of a story for it's fighting so a show based off the lore is easy because the audience can't connect a lore film to a gameplay one.
You already know my feelings on the Sonic movies at this point. I still dislike him being in the real world, and what we basically got was a better adaption of Sonic X. The first movie was your typical funny cartoon animal but he's up with some guy and they go on a road trip. The second movie at least is more truer to the text, and incorporates actual game and storyline elements from the games. Wow either adding some new contacts, or changing the context that fits within that world in scenario. Arcane is another great heavy hitter right there. I agree. Plenty enough, there are League of Legends fans that prefer the show over the games.

The Arcane thing would work fairly well if they did the same thing with something like Street Fighter, hell the Street Fighter anime proves that true. However that same concept doesn't work in something like Resident Evil or Tomb Raider or any number of other flops. Some games succeed because they are games, not in spite of it. And the removal of the game element to the work does not carry over well.
As for the Tomb Raider thing, not according to my mom. She loves all three of the movies in unironically. Though the first two was mainly because of Angelina Jolie. Unfortunately, she still expecting a sequel to that reboot movie. I don't have the heart to tell her.

Like I said before with RE, it can work, just have people who cares. The same applies with tr, but I admit I find it someone pointless to bother adapting it. Unless it's an animated movie or show. Then I don't mind. We don't even speak of Uncharted. It shouldn't have made that amount of money. There are people who like this movie, but a lot of people that like the movie are only in it for the two stars who look nothing like the main characters, and could not give a rat's ass about the actual games, nor Nathan Drake.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There are people who like this movie, but a lot of people that like the movie are only in it for the two stars who look nothing like the main characters, and could not give a rat's ass about the actual games, nor Nathan Drake.
Speaking of Uncharted, I should do a marathon of those after this Yakuza thing. I've actually never played all the Uncharteds.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I played some of 1, and 3 I think. That's it. I have them all though. remastered collections and cheap sales or whatever.
I find this very surprising seeing as how much you favor PlayStation and their big exclusives. Uncharted 2 is probably still considered one of the best PS games of all time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I find this very surprising seeing as how much you favor PlayStation and their big exclusives. Uncharted 2 is probably still considered one of the best PS games of all time.
I actually did not have a playstation 3 for most of that lifecycle. So the first 3 games passed me by. But then that remaster collection on ps4 came out and i dabbled with it.