Stalking the Digital Tundra

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Moonrider has this straight up 90s cyber ninja shit I am loving. I hope Slave Zero X comes out sooner that same year. I am surprised it's coming out this fast. We're getting two ninja action platformers in 2023. Moonrider is to Shinobi III as Slave Zero X is to Strider 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Reactions: Dalisclock

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Come to think of it, have there ever been any notable Spanish game devs? France has had a fair few, Germany has Crytek and Egosoft, and of course there's the UK, but I'm not aware of anywhere else in western Europe that's had a big hand in the industry.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Come to think of it, have there ever been any notable Spanish game devs? France has had a fair few, Germany has Crytek and Egosoft, and of course there's the UK, but I'm not aware of anywhere else in western Europe that's had a big hand in the industry.
Mercury Steam is a studio from Spain that did the Lords of Shadow games. They would go on to do Metroid: Samus Returns & Metroid Dread.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't know if it's notable to anyone else, the The Game Kitchen did Blasphemous and are Spanish. Which is quite appros considering the game is set in the Fantasy Land of NotSpain and follow the religion of NotCatholicism and at the end you fight the NotPope, you fucking Heretic

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

They are aware that Bb is a sony's 1st party exclusive and they own the ip, right?
Microsoft is either that stupid and oblivious, or their lying, trying to build sympathy and hopes the gaming public and Xbox fanboys will go into a crazed angry storm. Either way, it's insulting to everyone with common sense and a functioning brain.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
They aren't.

"WAAAAA!!!! We don't know how to make games and Sony wont let us have any of theirs!!!!"
"MOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!! SONY WON"T SHARE THEIR TOYS"-Microsoft, Probably.

It's too bad MS doesn't own any game studios that could help them make their own games, right? RIGHT?

Seriously, I'd love to see more games like Bloodborne. It feels like nobody has really tried to step up to that challenge except Steel Rising and Lies of P. Hunt the Night kinda looks like it wants to be 2d bloodborne but it has no release date(I'm interested in it. Demo was fun).

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"MOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!! SONY WON"T SHARE THEIR TOYS"-Microsoft, Probably.

It's too bad MS doesn't own any game studios that could help them make their own games, right? RIGHT?
Seriously though, what the hell is Microsoft even doing with these companies at this point? I really feel bad for Ninja Theory. And I can't believe I'm saying that. Senua 2 has been development since 2018? I've had my problems with the developer in the past, and how they got there it was mostly their own fault, but sucks that they haven't done much else ever since they've been bought out my Microsoft. They had that one stupid Anarchy Reigns rip off nobody played and forgotten about, and that's it.

Which reminds me, I have to go back to the hot takes later.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Seriously though, what the hell is Microsoft even doing with these companies at this point? I really feel bad for Ninja Theory. And I can't believe I'm saying that. Senua 2 has been development since 2018? I've had my problems with the developer in the past, and how they got there it was mostly their own fault, but sucks that they haven't done much else ever since they've been bought out my Microsoft. They had that one stupid Anarchy Reigns rip off nobody played and forgotten about, and that's it.

I kinda wonder if it's not like what people accused EA of doing a decade ago: Buying studios and then killing them just to lock up the IP, but that only works short term because inevitably people are gonna want to play SimCity again and just make their own SimCity. And one has to question the profitability of spending money to buy devs but not actually use those devs when someone else can just make another game just like the IP you own by just filing off the serial numbers. On a similar note, Konami owns Castilevania and refuses to do anything useful with it, but Metriodvanias have blown up in the last few years and Konami gets to watch everyone eat their lunch because they decided they don't care anymore. Hell, circling back to Bloodborne, one could argue FROM makes the best Castlevania games now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hell, circling back to Bloodborne, one could argue FROM makes the best Castlevania games now.
You are not the only one to come to the same conclusion. Before Bloodborne, it was the original Dark Souls that held that title. Also, Dark Souls, and Demon Souls, as a whole are considered the best Berserk games ever made.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You are not the only one to come to the same conclusion. Before Bloodborne, it was the original Dark Souls that held that title. Also, Dark Souls, and Demon Souls, as a whole are considered the best Berserk games ever made.
FROM loves to put Berserk references in their games so that does not shock me at all.

Speaking of which, I need to actually read Berserk because I don't think we're ever gonna get a good TV/Film adaptation to cover anything beyond the first arc. I don't know why they keep failing but somehow they do.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Senua was like a surprise success I feel. Like the game had a cool concept and presentation which garnered some acclaim but the game itself wasn't great. Now with Senua 2, I feel like they are struggling with what to do with it, because Senua didn't feel like it needed a sequel let's be honest.

But I've been saying that same shit for years at this point. What the fuck is Microsoft doing? They buy all these studios and nothing has come out from it. NOTHING! What is everybody doing over there, picking their ass cracks? Cube Crawling?

That Scalebound looked like it could be cool, but they cancelled that. But for what? How fucked up must that have been to get cancelled but not any of these other titles that have been in limbo forever. Where is Senua 2, the fable reboot/remake whatever the fuck, Starbound, what else is even in development?

That's the crazy part, with Sony we know of a shitload of games coming still, from Final Fantasy games to Spider-man and Wolverine, to Harry Porter. It's no wonder why the PS5 sells out at every store (although my gamestop had 6 god of war ps5's the other day which was cool but they sold them all by that evening), it's because PS5 is proving to have new games coming out at a fairly regular rate.

Microsoft has launched 5 titles in two years. Halo Infinite which sucks, The Medium which was medium at best, Forza Horizon 5 which was actually good, and High on Life which is a shitshow. Four games? wait...did I miss one? what else came out?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Senua was like a surprise success I feel. Like the game had a cool concept and presentation which garnered some acclaim but the game itself wasn't great. Now with Senua 2, I feel like they are struggling with what to do with it, because Senua didn't feel like it needed a sequel let's be honest.

But I've been saying that same shit for years at this point. What the fuck is Microsoft doing? They buy all these studios and nothing has come out from it. NOTHING! What is everybody doing over there, picking their ass cracks? Cube Crawling?

Microsoft has launched 5 titles in two years. Halo Infinite which sucks, The Medium which was medium at best, Forza Horizon 5 which was actually good, and High on Life which is a shitshow. Four games? wait...did I miss one? what else came out?
Pentiment came out from Obsidian, which is a MS studio now. It's definitely not everyone's bag and very much an indie title but it did come out.

As someone who liked Hellblade, it's not a great game. It has good atmosphere and a cool gimmick but her story is done at the end and I don't really see the need for a sequel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That Scalebound looked like it could be cool, but they cancelled that. But for what? How fucked up must that have been to get cancelled but not any of these other titles that have been in limbo forever. Where is Senua 2, the fable reboot/remake whatever the fuck, Starbound, what else is even in development?
Both parties share blame, but the majority still goes to Microsoft.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While the first game did well, it only did enough to barely break even. It wouldn't keep Ninja Theory afloat when they were self-published at that time. Before that point, no one else would take them, because of the DmC (2013) fiasco. They had no choice but to take Microsoft offer. It was either that, or die after making their own game that was self-published.