Your video game hot take(s) thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Exactly why I am not a slave to 100% completion. Even if it's a game I do love and enjoy.

I’ll only go for Platinum anymore if it happens during normal play and is actually an extension of the game’s fun, without having to jump through any tedious/tortuous hoops just for the sake of it. It’s gotten pretty easy to tell when devs put thought into trophy lists, vs when they’re just sadistically fucking with people to feed their addictions to the things.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ll only go for Platinum anymore if it happens during normal play and actually an extension of the game’s fun, without having to jump through any tedious/tortuous hoops just for the sake of it. It’s gotten pretty easy to tell when devs put thought into trophy lists, vs when they’re just sadistically fucking with people to feed their addictions to the things.
I know Streets of Rage 4 and DmC (2013) have some the best and easiest, respectively, of getting 100%. Ironically, I got Platinum Trophy for DmC (2013) accidentally.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
My problem with Arin especially, but Game Grumps in general, is his/their tendency to ignore tutorials, and then blame the game when they don't understand how to do something. I remember Arin raving about how Mega Man X is a master class in game design because it doesn't teach you anything through pop-ups, but instead makes you learn on your own when confronted with an obstacle, and then I think of all the times he's complained on Game Grumps about the game not telling him how to do something because he scrolled through the explanation without reading it.
That sounds completely consistent though. Of course a person that skips tutorials and text messages explaining stuff would praise a game that a tutorial that teaches without telling you anything. I'm certainly not saying it justifies skipping those things but liking the opening to MegaMan X is consistent for his philosophy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If there is one lesson action games should take from Dark Souls, is having your enemies be just as capable as the player, or give them a large sized move set. I noticed a lot of action games that are not Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God Hand, or Ninja Gaiden give enemies and even certain bosses 1 or 2 moves, and that's about it. It's really noticeable with the God of War clones from the mid to late 2000s. Even certain GoW titles are guilty of this too. I have to give proper credit to Seraphim17, as he mentioned this in his Chain of Olympus PAIN+ Run.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Exactly why I am not a slave to 100% completion. Even if it's a game I do love and enjoy.
I never 100% games. There's always at least one achievement I refuse to acknowledge exists, usually either involving multiplayer (and I'm very selective about what games I do that with) or something to do with a play style that flat out bores me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's always at least one achievement I refuse to acknowledge exists, usually either involving multiplayer (and I'm very selective about what games I do that with) or something to do with a play style that flat out bores me.
Multiplayer achievements are just the worst. The Achievement Hunter had a field day with plenty of these. It's gotten to the point where he doesn't bother MP games or single player games with MP achievements for a while now.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Hey just because I like to blow up windmills and refugee tents in Ace Combat doesn't mean I'm a war criminal.

*Launches V2*

Okay, Now I might be a war criminal.

*Nukes a couple cities out of pure spite*

You, solely, are responsible for this. What do you have to show for yourself, Merc? Blood and gold? A broken throne? I will bury you so completely, the Earth will turn over a thousand times before your body is dug up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Arkane Studios are talented people and good developers, but I for the life of me can't get interested in any of their games.

Prodeus is a great throwback FPS, but ends way too abruptly even for the sale price of $19.99. The final boss and level was kind of underwhelming as well. Fan-made levels are not always going to do it for me. I appreciate the effort, but the game needed at least 10 more levels. Especially for its long development cycle. I'd still play it over Doom Eternal.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Only just found out the space combat game Chorvs is not called Chorvs but instead Chorus with a deceptive "u".

Chorvs was clearly the superior title. This has ruined my whole week, even more than a torn knee ligament!
It's a pretty so-so game if that make you feel better.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Re: achievement hunting, my personal approach is meta- I just don't take absolute positions. For the vast majority of games, I don't achievement hunt because, yeah, it takes away the fun and is tedious. And I don't do multiplayer.

But I do get into it for some games: Assassins Creeds, FromSoftware, Sony first party.
Assassin Creed games are easy and I've been invested in the franchise and despite its many many (MANY) problems, I still just like running around those worlds. So, yeah, if getting a platinum means grinding some collectibles while listening to a podcast, I can dig it. Sure, Valhalla's fishing game tested my patience, but man that world is so pretty so it's fine.
I don't have all achievements in all the games- Black Flag and Unity have multiplayer achievements that are impossible, and Syndicate trophies on PS4 are literally just broken, and there are two in the Revelations remaster that involve crazy first-person platforming that I gave up on. But I have all the rest!

Sony has made platinum trophies really easy in the last few years: they don't require multiplayer, you can get them after completing the main campaign, and most importantly they are not dependent on difficulty. Sure some of the add-on/DLC trophies have that stuff but that main/platinum don't. So Spidermen, Horizons, new God of Wars, etc- you can do the main campaign, then run around trophy/achievement hunting. Since I already like these games I kind of dig doing it.

With FromSoftware, it just became this stupid personal point of pride. I went through this whole love/hate affair with these games until I beat Bloodborned, platinumed, and just went ahead and did that with all the Dark Souls. Committing to getting the platinum for Sekiro got me to completely fall in love with that game and obsessing over it. Elden Ring really tested my patience so I think I'm done with this commitment but it was fun for what it was.

Occassionally a game will come along whole world intrigues me enough to 100% or platinum: Witcher 3 of course; Control; Nier Automata (where you can literally buy achievements with in-game currency lol).

tl;dr: achievement hunting can occasionally add fun to a game one already likes

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of FPS hot takes: Hard Reset I enjoy more and find much better than the modern Shadow Warrior games. I have not gotten to 3 yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath in the former being better than HR.
Welp, I changed my mind on that take. Shadow Warrior 3 I like more than Hard Reset Redux. HRR is a good game, and is more of a cross between Painkiller, Quake II, and Doom. It does have some of its own problems, but nothing that made me lose interest in the SHDW & SHDW2. HHR main advantage is weapon variety and has more levels. The game has a decent enemy roster, but they're not as interesting as the demons' designs in SHDW3.

I love the straightforward level design of Evil West. There are some divergent/optional paths, but it's usually just for hidden collectibles and to get more money for upgrades. If you want an action game with expansive level design, semi open world, or semi-open-ended, there are more than enough options to choose from. Once again, not everything has to be open world or super expansive, as long as linearity has a good flow. Not too many people were complaining about this, but even the people who like the game still brought it up as a minor flaw or issue, when it really isn't.
What I said there applies to SHDW3. I swear some of you critics are afraid to play an actual freaking game and either want a forced walking section or for the platforming to be exactly Doom Eternal.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood has a great soundtrack and graphics, but I would not consider it the Holy Grail of Classicvania titles the fandom makes the game out to be. I still find Bloodlines and Castlevania IV better than RoB. I will give the game credit of starting the trend of expanding the series story, characters. and lore. Something the series perfects, starting with Symphony of the Night.