Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't think it's been absolutely positively confirmed but IIRC it is slated for this year.
Since I quit on ever trying to beat Hollow Knight, Silksong is not something I'll be interested in, saving me a lot of time and a LOT of frustration. I hope it comes out, it's good and people who like HK like it, though. At this point though it would be shocking if it actually lived up to the hype.
I'm hoping Team Cherry is taking their time to polish the hell out of it. Honestly, it doesn't even have to be as good, as long as it's pretty good I'll be happy.

Indie games like this with small teams I tend to give a little bit of a pass to as far as dev cycles because if I know the dev team has like 5 people, I'm more understanding of why said game is taking so long to get finished. I'm more concerned when Bioware takes nearly a decade to make a New Dragon Age and has reportedly rebooted development twice already(and switched it to and from a live service) because there resources are there and it becomes more and more of a leadership question over time.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Shame, I think a lot less could have been done in other areas to allow for the "typical RPG-like places" to make the world more meaningful. Crafting is a rabbit hole I feel could have been avoided, and while interesting, I think the Ashes of War convolute what I felt was better done in previous games where you found a weapon you liked and focused on it. ER is a great game, but to call it overwhelming in terms of its available options is an understatement; it's like having my head shoved into the troughs at an all-you-can-eat buffet when I only had a mild appetite.

I'll probably bite the bullet and give it a try, most likely when I hit the next brick wall in ER (which will likely be soon since I hear tell the next main areas I'm facing aren't very... accommodating.)
I think ER was definitely a bit too ambitious for its own good, but can understand how they got to that mindset after doing everything else. It’s basically a culmination of the past six games, along with having its own hook. More than ever most of the content is optional here though, and that was a smart design choice imo. It allows the player to kind of pick their way through it their own way, with only a handful of requirements progression-wise.

Being essentially a love letter to character building too, it has loot up the yin yang to trick things out however you want, so for me it’s been their most replayable game by far (NG+ mind you; I’ve never replayed any of these games from scratch and in that respect ER would be painful with my limited free time).

The big thing about both these games is the slow burn factor. Both worlds are tailored more towards something to “get lost in” vs tackle for completion status or anything progression related. Especially RDR2, where are so many neat hidden things and details that give it that “lived in” feel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
After the big boom of retro style FPS, I don't feel the need to play Wolfenstein: New Order or New Colossus ever again. Good games with great stories, but they both have pacing issues (more so NC), and game design I disagree with. I already traded in both games before COVID, and I highly doubt I'm going back to either.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Calling your game "Endless Dungeon" is as appealing a name as "Infinite Sewer Level" or "Eternal Colonoscopy."
I can only imagine it was meant to appeal to people who really enjoy dungeon crawling games but yeah, fair point.

I know there are some RPGs which have optional "Deep" dungeons that have a lot of floors and practically go on forever primarily to appeal to this particular mindset.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Not gonna lie I don't know what the game is I just saw that title in my deals feed and had zero interest.
Interestingly, there's a game called Dungeon of the Endless which I was thinking of and is a game in the Endless(Legend/Space) series.

Oh, Endless Dungeon is apparently a sequel to Dungeon of the Endless, because that's not confusing at all.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Interestingly, there's a game called Dungeon of the Endless which I was thinking of and is a game in the Endless(Legend/Space) series.

Oh, Endless Dungeon is apparently a sequel to Dungeon of the Endless, because that's not confusing at all.
I'm looking forward to Legend of the Endless Dungeon Legend.

...Two.

...Electric Boogaloo.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
As we're now gearing up for the 4th "English localization is destroying Fire Emblem" controversy in a row, I think it's safe to say that very few people actually care about Fire Emblem's English localization changes.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
As we're now gearing up for the 4th "English localization is destroying Fire Emblem" "controversy" in a row, I think it's safe to say that very few people actually care about Fire Emblem's English localization changes.
I didn't know this was even a thing(the controversy, not fire emblem) though to be fair I've never played a Fire Emblem game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
In this case, I genuinely think it's a young adult (the MC is 17) playing along with a child (Anna is 11) but isn't actually into it sort of way, but the people complaining about it seem to think it was an actual romance, so seeing as Gamer's media literacy is in the toilet it's probably a good call

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
In this case, I genuinely think it's a young adult (the MC is 17) playing along with a child (Anna is 11) but isn't actually into it sort of way, but the people complaining about it seem to think it was an actual romance, so seeing as Gamer's media literacy is in the toilet it's probably a good call

"The Gamers": "We don't understand why people keep calling us perverted manchildren."

Also "The Gamers": "Leave in our lesbian loli innuendo! It's the artist's intent!"

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Rimworld is only a "story generator" if you consider events spit out by a random number generator with no logic or continuity that ends with your colony being inevitably being overwhelmed by endlessly escalating raids a "story."

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I get the impression neither is quite a correct translation. I get the impression its one of those deals where the kid had a harmless crush and the MC is trying to console them, but neither panel translates it correctly. Literally watched an action movie last night where a little kid develops a crush on a lady, but its harmless and funny. Seems like they just went and ahead and cleansed rather than hire good writers. That part is what kinda sucks. Really "bland" writing can completely put me of a game.

Reactions: BrawlMan