General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not real news, I just don't know where else to put this, but I've received notices from several local retailers that they have PS5s in stock. First time since launch.

Granted, it's only digital editions bundled with either an extra controller and a 1tb 980 pro nvme ssd, or GoW Ragnarok and said ssd. €650.

Still, progress, and all in all a fair price considering the sum of its parts' cost.
A lot of places around me, mainly Gamestops, have both the digital and physical versions of PS5s. Quite a few of the Targets & Best buys as well.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
A lot of places around me, mainly Gamestops, have both the digital and physical versions of PS5s. Quite a few of the Targets & Best buys as well.
Yeh, that's not been the case around here. Local has been dire. Pretty much only feasible way of buying was from outside the EU and eating the customs fees, or get really lucky with the meager supply drops on the German or French Amazon.

Not actually planning on buying, I'm good for games for now, but nice of Sony to start serving regions other than NA. Sort of.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeh, that's not been the case around here. Local has been dire. Pretty much only feasible way of buying was from outside the EU and eating the customs fees, or get really lucky with the meager supply drops on the German or French Amazon.

Not actually planning on buying, I'm good for games for now, but nice of Sony to start serving regions other than NA. Sort of.
Don't worry, I have not forgotten. It sucks that Sony isn't putting more effort to hit the UK and European market with these. America's got plenty at this point. Focus on your other regions. Power to the players, right? That only works, if you give them the actual power. Even then, that tagline never had much meaning for me. Been full of fungus since the PS3 era.

Reactions: Chimpzy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
And more are likely to follow. That's the thing with all these trend-chaser games: they all want a piece of the [insert trend here] pie, but there's only so much pie to be had, and by the time the trend-chasers arrive, most of it tends to already be gone, grabbed by a handful or sometimes just a single game that got there early, and they're not going to share.

Just look at the most played games on Steam. Quite a lot of of GaaS in there. Few released in the last couple years.
And we have one company who's feeling the consequences of doing so:

And these guys still want to pursue NFTs. Sigh.....

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
They're dropping like flies

Ehh, wasn't the #1 ps game I wanted ported, so no loss there. That being said, I wonder if they did this for legit reasons of working more on the game, or simply doing this to celebrate the show's finale?
I'm guessing the latter, ride the momentum the show has built. Tho I'm sure the devs wouldn't mind any extra time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're dropping like flies
I'm guessing the latter, ride the momentum the show has built. Tho I'm sure the devs wouldn't mind any extra time.
CROSS❌FIRRRRRRREEEEEE!!! 🔥🔥🔥

Sterling is going to have a field day with this on Monday. Who's next? Which one of them is next?!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
At least Knockout City is gonna have a private server version released on PC so people can still play it. Wish more games did that. I'd still boot up Dragalia Lost every now and then if they let me download all the data and be offline

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All these live services games shutting down so fast, only further proves that always online is not ideal at all. Assuming the game has a physical copy, all you bought was glorified paperweight. Though since most of these games are digital, it will be digital paperweight in this case. Any gamer, consumer, or gaming critic still defending this practice are desperate and need a pimp slap to the face.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Here’s a new gameplay for The Day Before:

And this is what we saw in 2021:

From what we saw earlier, this is almost Ubisoft-level of downgrade

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Here’s a new gameplay for The Day Before:

And this is what we saw in 2021:

From what we saw earlier, this is almost Ubisoft-level of downgrade
I didn't even know this game existed till people started talking about how this game didn't actually exist.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't even know this game existed till people started talking about how this game didn't actually exist.
There has been some weird shit happening around this. Like it was supposed to come out or something last week, then the day before (lol) it vanished off Steam, only to pop back with new gameplay. I am not clear exactly what was happening, but there was a lot of youtube videos about the drama.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Thank Fuck.

"Why aren't the other 94% of the population praising how bold we are for showing two men in love!?"

Representation is cool and all, but when you're representation excludes over 90% of people you really shouldn't be surprised to find that people 1. Dont like it, 2. Don't care. 3. Aren't interested in watching a niche story for niche people.

Not wanting to watch LBGT content doesn't make people homophobic, it just means they aren't interested in seeing it. And the more they shove that stuff into media, the less people want to watch.

There is a difference between having LBGT or otherwise diverse characters, and it's another to make sure the audience really sees all the sexual aspects of it.

Bill was a great character in TLOU game who just happened to be gay. Bill in the show is in a deep and emotional gay relationship that happens to be in the TLOU. It's like writers don't understand the difference between having a character who is gay, versus having a gay character.

And in typical fashion they get upset when everyone doesn't stand and applaud your bold message on screen.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not wanting to watch LBGT content doesn't make people homophobic, it just means they aren't interested in seeing it. And the more they shove that stuff into media, the less people want to watch.
While true, that still doesn't change the fact homophobia/anti-trans is still a big problem in the gaming community. Whenever there is a gay/trans character, regardless of how well it's done or not, these fuck-heads will freak out, if said characters are given humanity, the main protagonist, not treated as negative stereotypes, and not just placed in the background. Let's not pretend or act oblivious otherwise. We've already had this conversation and many others before. We still have people using death and rape threats towards actual LBGTQ gamers and developers existing or having a strong presence and influence in the gaming sphere. The same assholes who do the same shit to those of a different racial background or religion. Yes, certain things are better, but acting as if it's not a big deal as it was 10-20 years is not some profound high bar.

There is a difference between having LBGT or otherwise diverse characters, and it's another to make sure the audience really sees all the sexual aspects of it.

Bill was a great character in TLOU game who just happened to be gay. Bill in the show is in a deep and emotional gay relationship that happens to be in the TLOU. It's like writers don't understand the difference between having a character who is gay, versus having a gay character.
All well and good, but still doesn't change the fact there are gamers and viewers out there who don't want any presence or existence someone gay, unless it's the butt of a joke. Sometimes they will make exceptions, if said persons are hot women in action with each other, and then they will somewhat give a shit. I will give the first TLOU game some credit on this, but I never cared for the franchise in general, because it was just another zombie game with some good writing. By the time it released, I didn't have a PS3 and was long tired of zombie games, with certain exceptions. But I am getting off-topic.

And in typical fashion they get upset when everyone doesn't stand and applaud your bold message on screen.
That's always been a problem with the franchise. Even when not talking about Bill being gay and Ellie implied to be lesbian in the first game and its prequel DLC, you have people going overboard on the defense and over praising. Mainly because: "It's the first video game with dark and mature storytelling of a movie or HBO TV show". Once again, you had "professional" critics and overzealous fans throwing many others games' accomplishments under the rug, acting like they never existed, or "don't count", because they're from a different or lesser time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy