What have you purchased recently?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Went for a Faber-Castell, encountered a blue Sheaffer Intensity. Twice as expensive but omg omg. ❤
Not a clue what you are referring to! Thank goodness for the Internet, I'll figure it out!

They have arrived: New Steam Deck, 512 Scandisc Card, screen protector, deck comes with a carrying case and I got a new keyboard to R&R one that really didn't have things on the F and J to help you center when touch typing. This one, so far, is pretty good. NPET..
steamdeck.jpgkeyboard.jpg

Ahh... you an artist?
1675107484837.png

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Not a clue what you are referring to! Thank goodness for the Internet, I'll figure it out!
Alas the internet won't do it justice. At best you'll find something like that :

But no image can convey the full magnitude of its majesty.

(No artist. Just an insufferable snob back to collecting cool stationery.)

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Found a webshop specialized in Wii games that sells a lot hidden gems for cheap. Picked up secondhand copies of Little King's Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis and both Trauma Centers for Wii for 20 bucks.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Found a webshop specialized in Wii games that sells a lot hidden gems for cheap. Picked up secondhand copies of Little King's Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis and both Trauma Centers for Wii for 20 bucks.
Whaaaaaaaaaat? At least share with the class D= (Or PM me).
Also, Trauma Center had 3 games on Wii. Trauma Team was the 3rd (and the only one I didn't play)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Whaaaaaaaaaat? At least share with the class D= (Or PM me).
Also, Trauma Center had 3 games on Wii. Trauma Team was the 3rd (and the only one I didn't play)

Here you go. Store is in Dutch, with no other language options, tho it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Mostly works within the Benelux, but international shipping can be arranged upon request. Also, keep in mind I got those games that cheap because they were missing manuals, or disc only in Little King's Story's case. Knocks off between a couple bucks to half the price, so worth considering, if you don't mind them being incomplete.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
A bottle of Aviation gin. I bought it because the company that produces it is co-owned by Ryan Reynolds, and I'm that guy for whom "Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds" never gets old (come at me, bro.) And you know what? It really is a great gin. I'm no connoisseur of gins, but this one is really smooth and tasty. My gf never even liked gin at all, and even she has taken a liking to it.

For as small as the bottle is, it's pricey; a liter is $30, and a liter nets you maybe 5-6 gin and tonics (depending on your pour, obviously) which didn't feel worth paying bar prices at home. So for comparison, we bought a bigger bottle of another brand for the same price, and after the first sip, we both "nope'd," and went back to Aviation. It won't be my go-to drink, but will keep it stocked for the occasional "wild hare."

View attachment 7801
From a pretty dedicated Bombay Sapphire guy here, Aviation is a good gin. I prefer the flavor of Sapphire, or the more peppery notes of Sapphire East, for martinis and gimlets. Basically any drink that is very gin forward. I will make a G & T with Sapphire, but really Aviation makes something I find even more plaesant. I've never had it in a Collins or a Singapore Sling, but I'd guess it is perfect for either. There is a bar in town that makes Aviators, with Aviation. Not a drink I usually like, but it is tasty (they go pretty heavy on maraschino.)

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
For as small as the bottle is, it's pricey; a liter is $30, and a liter nets you maybe 5-6 gin and tonics (depending on your pour, obviously)
Hang on...so you'd put 200ml of gin into a GnT? That's pretty spicy. Not that I haven't done that before myself, but that's certainly an "I fancy knocking myself out" amount.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Hang on...so you'd put 200ml of gin into a GnT? That's pretty spicy. Not that I haven't done that before myself, but that's certainly an "I fancy knocking myself out" amount.
It'd be okay in a pint glass, if you didn't want to walk to the fridge four times.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
From a pretty dedicated Bombay Sapphire guy here, Aviation is a good gin. I prefer the flavor of Sapphire, or the more peppery notes of Sapphire East, for martinis and gimlets. Basically any drink that is very gin forward. I will make a G & T with Sapphire, but really Aviation makes something I find even more plaesant. I've never had it in a Collins or a Singapore Sling, but I'd guess it is perfect for either. There is a bar in town that makes Aviators, with Aviation. Not a drink I usually like, but it is tasty (they go pretty heavy on maraschino.)
I'll have to try Sapphire then. We settled on Seagrams (the gin I used to favor years ago,) but am open to try something else. I do wanna try a Gibson with Aviation, though; any thoughts? Have you tired it?

First off, this is 'Murica; what's a milliliter? Second, I'm a MAN, and my liver is a veteran; I measure my pours in counts; each glug from the bottle neck is "one." Third and lastly, kind sir, I drink too much. So yeah, I can manage 5-6 gin and tonics from a 1-liter bottle when the tonic is a garnish.

Also me:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll have to try Sapphire then. We settled on Seagrams (the gin I used to favor years ago,) but am open to try something else. I do wanna try a Gibson with Aviation, though; any thoughts? Have you tired it?
I have not. Just the idea of a cocktail onion in a drink kind of makes me want to hurl. I'm not big on onion period actually, mostly its a texture thing... but the taste kind of reminds me of the texture.

I have also not tried Aviation in a simple mix I like to drink from time to time, mostly because the name Bombay Sapphire kind of goes with the drink better somehow. Because I'm a big Fallout fan, and Jones Soda marketed some of their very delicious Berry Lemonade Soda as Nuka Quantum... I make a martini glass drink that is simply 4 or 3/1 Berry Lemonade to Sapphire. I just call it a Nuka Quantum, I actually prefer it over something like an Electric Lemonade... or the house drink at Children's Mercy Park (home of Sporting KC) the Blue Hell Lemonade. Mostly because I prefer gin to vodka. But I think I'll try it with Aviator next time I have some.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A bottle of Aviation gin. I bought it because the company that produces it is co-owned by Ryan Reynolds, and I'm that guy for whom "Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds" never gets old (come at me, bro.) And you know what? It really is a great gin. I'm no connoisseur of gins, but this one is really smooth and tasty. My gf never even liked gin at all, and even she has taken a liking to it.

For as small as the bottle is, it's pricey; a liter is $30, and a liter nets you maybe 5-6 gin and tonics (depending on your pour, obviously) which didn't feel worth paying bar prices at home. So for comparison, we bought a bigger bottle of another brand for the same price, and after the first sip, we both "nope'd," and went back to Aviation. It won't be my go-to drink, but will keep it stocked for the occasional "wild hare."

View attachment 7801
I don't like gin, but when I was in Portland my friends decided that we needed to go to the Aviation distillery to do a tasting. I honestly thought it was pretty terrible. The workers there asked me how I liked it and I was honest about the fact that I don't like gin and was only there because I got dragged along, and they were extremely offended.

Honestly though, even though I don't like gin I do still know a "good" gin when I try it...and Aviation ain't it. For the same price you can get a bottle of Citadelle which is much higher quality.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Honestly though, even though I don't like gin I do still know a "good" gin when I try it...
That sounds like a contradiction, but it's a sentiment you're welcome to. I DO like gin, and am of the opinion that Aviation is a good one.

Any opinions on a "good" fork in the eye?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That sounds like a contradiction, but it's a sentiment you're welcome to. I DO like gin, and am of the opinion that Aviation is a good one.

Any opinions on a "good" fork in the eye?
I explained that incorrectly.

I prefer to drink my alcohol straight, but I think that gin is a terrible alcohol to drink straight because the vast majority of gins are poorly balanced for that (because they're intended to basically only be had in cocktails). The quality of a gin is difficult to judge in a cocktail because the cocktail obviously changes the balance of the alcohol and covers up certain flavors.

I'll still try a gin straight the first time I drink it, to get a feel for the flavor profile before using it in a cocktail, but I never enjoy the experience of drinking it straight. Aviation is one that I tried and did not like (though this was a few years ago and I don't remember what I didn't like about it).

The only gin that I actually enjoy drinking straight is Roku, but that can hardly even be classed as a gin, and the gin that I like to use in cocktails is Citadelle.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I dunno if there's a big enough batch of people here for Gunpla to have its own thread, so I'll just post these here
20230203_235700.jpg

20230126_205137.jpg

The Suletta is surprisingly posable with nice, stiff joints, the Miorine is technically more flexible but her joints are loose and like to pop out of place (tempted to make a second one, see if the problem was a one off), and the SD Gundam Aerial is a fantastic little kit that looks great with a tiny amount of metallic green paint and a fine tipped sharpie for panel lining

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I explained that incorrectly.

I prefer to drink my alcohol straight, but I think that gin is a terrible alcohol to drink straight because the vast majority of gins are poorly balanced for that (because they're intended to basically only be had in cocktails). The quality of a gin is difficult to judge in a cocktail because the cocktail obviously changes the balance of the alcohol and covers up certain flavors.

I'll still try a gin straight the first time I drink it, to get a feel for the flavor profile before using it in a cocktail, but I never enjoy the experience of drinking it straight. Aviation is one that I tried and did not like (though this was a few years ago and I don't remember what I didn't like about it).

The only gin that I actually enjoy drinking straight it Roku, but that can hardly even be classed as a gin, and the gin that I like to use in cocktails is Citadelle.
Ah, makes more sense. I personally am not a fan of straight liquors (I'll do shots, but only one or two,) but neither am I a fan of a cocktail that contains more than one ingredient other than the liquor, i.e.: vodka soda, gin and tonic, whiskey and 7-up, etc. Aviation works for me when paired with tonic, but am not averse to giving Citadelle a try once my Aviation well runs dry. Adding Bombay Sapphire and Citadelle to the list for the next liquor store run.