What have you purchased recently?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I explained that incorrectly.

I prefer to drink my alcohol straight, but I think that gin is a terrible alcohol to drink straight because the vast majority of gins are poorly balanced for that (because they're intended to basically only be had in cocktails). The quality of a gin is difficult to judge in a cocktail because the cocktail obviously changes the balance of the alcohol and covers up certain flavors.

I'll still try a gin straight the first time I drink it, to get a feel for the flavor profile before using it in a cocktail, but I never enjoy the experience of drinking it straight. Aviation is one that I tried and did not like (though this was a few years ago and I don't remember what I didn't like about it).

The only gin that I actually enjoy drinking straight it Roku, but that can hardly even be classed as a gin, and the gin that I like to use in cocktails is Citadelle.
Ah, makes more sense. I personally am not a fan of straight liquors (I'll do shots, but only one or two,) but neither am I a fan of a cocktail that contains more than one ingredient other than the liquor, i.e.: vodka soda, gin and tonic, whiskey and 7-up, etc. Aviation works for me when paired with tonic, but am not averse to giving Citadelle a try once my Aviation well runs dry. Adding Bombay Sapphire and Citadelle to the list for the next liquor store run.
About the only thing with gin in it that I can say “tasty” after consumption would be these things -

Preferably the black can.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
About the only thing with gin in it that I can say “tasty” after consumption would be these things -

I've had Long Drink, but it's a bit too foo-foo for me. If I want "gin," I'll drink gin; if I want "fruity beer," I'll go with Long Drink.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Hasn't arrived yet, or even shipped AFAIK, but as a reward to myself for losing 25+ pounds on my diet so far, I bought myself a spiralizer/mandoline.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Eww pre-mixed cocktails.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Why are the white-haired woman's feet reversed?
Lmao, didn't even notice. They come off, she's got optional shoes. Gunpla kits tend to be modular with swappable parts. They've got like 3 different hand options and multiple face plates with different expressions too.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Some would say anything from a can is sacrilegious. It’s all relative, including taste for alcohol. I’m pretty low class though, so there’s that.
Beer from a can is fine, and sometimes preferred. You can't get a nitro beer in a bottle, it only comes in kegs or cans.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Hasn't arrived yet, or even shipped AFAIK, but as a reward to myself for losing 25+ pounds on my diet so far, I bought myself a spiralizer/mandoline.
Well done by the way. I'm on day 2 of a two-week crash diet and I've got to say, it's shit.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm not on a crash diet, I don't think, but I can say that dieting gets a lot easier after 2-3 weeks, once the cravings die down.

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well done by the way. I'm on day 2 of a two-week crash diet and I've got to say, it's shit.
Don't crash diets also fuck up your metabolism so any weight you lose will come back and worse unless you hardcore maintain the diet for like... ever?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Don't crash diets also fuck up your metabolism so any weight you lose will come back and worse unless you hardcore maintain the diet for like... ever?
Unlikely in two weeks I think, and no intention of keeping the weight off: I've borked my elbow and can't lift weights properly for a few weeks so I'm just trying to burn off a bit of fat I don't want while I'm a bit more limited in what I can do. Once I'm done I'll be trying to increase weight again (maybe fewer cookies this time. Maybe not though.)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
From a pretty dedicated Bombay Sapphire guy here, Aviation is a good gin. I prefer the flavor of Sapphire, or the more peppery notes of Sapphire East, for martinis and gimlets. Basically any drink that is very gin forward. I will make a G & T with Sapphire, but really Aviation makes something I find even more plaesant. I've never had it in a Collins or a Singapore Sling, but I'd guess it is perfect for either. There is a bar in town that makes Aviators, with Aviation. Not a drink I usually like, but it is tasty (they go pretty heavy on maraschino.)
That is my fancy gin. My cousin introduced me to it. Tanqueray is my typical go to but Bombay Sapphire is great for a slightly different flavored straight up gin martini.
Hang on...so you'd put 200ml of gin into a GnT? That's pretty spicy. Not that I haven't done that before myself, but that's certainly an "I fancy knocking myself out" amount.
I drink gin martinis straight up, hold the vermouth. My favorite, most generous place claims the glass has 12 oz in it. I'm thinking 6 to 8 at most. But the family took me out for my birthday there, I got two and they tell me we went out for ice cream after. I don't remember that last part.

Steam Sale: $2.99.

1676581388773.png